Old 03-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Luka Renko

Default Jaunty clean install and some suggestions

Hello all,

Since I got new laptop to install, I have decided to start from scratch Kubuntu Jaunty install in order to cleanup my .kde and to also better see the default install of Kubuntu with KDE4. I have written down some notices for potential improvements.

1. Home directory

After clean install, I get ~/screen-configurations.xml file. Not sure which application writes this file, but it looks like it should be in ~/.local (at least that is the place of another screen-configurations.xml file)

2. Package dependancies

I have noticed that we get some gnome-ish packages by default. Note that I have installed Alpha 5 + updated to latest packages, so some of this may be already addressed.

- evolution-documentation-en: see https://launchpad.net/bugs/333401

(imho, this should be treated as bug and not a wishlist)

- network-manager-gnome: it was installed by default even though if has Recommends network-manager-gnome | network-manager-kde

(I suspect we could just add "| plasma-widget-network-manager)

I have also noticed that I have also Crystal icon set installed, but this is probably due to KDE3 version of k3b (and openoffice.org-kde), which we will hopefully replace soon (or just drop in case of openoffice.org-kde). ;-)

I wanted to also use kubuntu-restricted-extras, but I was suprised it wanted to install around 60 packages, including pulseaudio (which I would like to avoid for the time being) and further qt3 depends - I suspect, this just need someone to update it for KDE4.

3. Default config - System Settings

GTK Style:

- I think we should have "Use my KDE fonts for GTK application" by default.

- Firefox & Thunderbird: missing icon

Emoctions:

- Default vs. KDE4 - they are similar (Oxygen look), but not the same - this is very confusing. Anybody understands this?

Desktop Effects:

- I thought this is auto enabled? On this laptop with Intel 4500 card it is not.

4. Default config - Plasma/Panel

- kickoff: should we enabel change on hoover?

- pager: should we show icons in 1 row (better for horiyontal panel)?

- pager: should we enable icons by default?

- digital clock: year is not that useful, I would replace if with weekday

We can probably discuss config changes on next meeting and if somebody wants, I can open individual bugs for some of the above (just ask).

Regards,

Luka

Old 03-06-2009, 03:50 AM
"Roderick B. Greening"

Luka,

Please open bugs so we can track/address/resolve each issue individually.

And thank you very much for your work in testing this, you have uncovered some
very important things we need to address.

Regards,

Rod.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Luka Renko

https://launchpad.net/bugs/340206

https://launchpad.net/bugs/340210

https://launchpad.net/bugs/340215

> 3. Default config - System Settings

> GTK Style:

> - I think we should have "Use my KDE fonts for GTK application" by default.

> - Firefox & Thunderbird: missing icon

> Emoctions:

> - Default vs. KDE4 - they are similar (Oxygen look), but not the same -

> this is very confusing. Anybody understands this?

> Desktop Effects:

> - I thought this is auto enabled? On this laptop with Intel 4500 card it is

> not.

> 4. Default config - Plasma/Panel

> - kickoff: should we enabel change on hoover?

> - pager: should we show icons in 1 row (better for horiyontal panel)?

> - pager: should we enable icons by default?

> - digital clock: year is not that useful, I would replace if with weekday

https://launchpad.net/bugs/340220

Regards,

Luka