Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Wulfy

Default KDE4 64-bit & 32-bit programs & KDE3.5 programs

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a simple way to determine which
programs I have installed that are 32-bit and those that are compiled
against KDE 3.5. I have a /lib32 and I know that at least Kaffeine is
compiled against KDE3.5. Would this have an effect on CPU/memory load
and the stability of KDE4?

I run KDE 4.2 64-bit Intrepid Ibex

Linux wulfy-desktop 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 19:28:32 UTC
2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 02-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Jonas Norlander

2009/2/11 Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:
> I was wondering if anyone could tell me a simple way to determine which
> programs I have installed that are 32-bit and those that are compiled
> against KDE 3.5. I have a /lib32 and I know that at least Kaffeine is
> compiled against KDE3.5. Would this have an effect on CPU/memory load
> and the stability of KDE4?
>
> I run KDE 4.2 64-bit Intrepid Ibex

You can use the file command to see if a file is 32 or 64 bit. I
tested a quick and dirty hack and it worked and it should be easy to
put it in a script and expand it to work with apt-file to see what
package the file belongs to. I don't have an answer for finding KDE
3.5 files, perhaps if you know what libraries it uses you could grep
the output from the ldd command. Putting together a script that can
do this would come in handy perhaps some with more experience in
shell programming can think of something.

The one-line command to find 32-bit programs in your path:
for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e "s/:/ /g") ; do find "$DIR" -type f
-exec file '{}' ; | grep -i 32-bit | sed "s/:.*$//" ; done

/ Jonas

Old 02-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Wulfy

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2009/2/11 Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone could tell me a simple way to determine which
>> programs I have installed that are 32-bit and those that are compiled
>> against KDE 3.5. I have a /lib32 and I know that at least Kaffeine is
>> compiled against KDE3.5. Would this have an effect on CPU/memory load
>> and the stability of KDE4?
>>
>> I run KDE 4.2 64-bit Intrepid Ibex
>>

> You can use the file command to see if a file is 32 or 64 bit. I
> tested a quick and dirty hack and it worked and it should be easy to
> put it in a script and expand it to work with apt-file to see what
> package the file belongs to. I don't have an answer for finding KDE
> 3.5 files, perhaps if you know what libraries it uses you could grep
> the output from the ldd command. Putting together a script that can
> do this would come in handy perhaps some with more experience in
> shell programming can think of something.
>
> The one-line command to find 32-bit programs in your path:
> for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e "s/:/ /g") ; do find "$DIR" -type f
> -exec file '{}' ; | grep -i 32-bit | sed "s/:.*$//" ; done
>
> / Jonas

Thanks for this, Jonas. I appreciate your help. I really must learn
some bash sometime...

I tried the command. I got a list of programs (as expected) but there
are *1776* of them!!!!

I tried the same command with 64-bit substituted for 32-bit and got the
exact same list (I used diff to compare them).

I'm confused...

Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Jonas Norlander

2009/2/12 Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> 2009/2/11 Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:
>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone could tell me a simple way to determine which
>>> programs I have installed that are 32-bit and those that are compiled
>>> against KDE 3.5. I have a /lib32 and I know that at least Kaffeine is
>>> compiled against KDE3.5. Would this have an effect on CPU/memory load
>>> and the stability of KDE4?
>>>
>>> I run KDE 4.2 64-bit Intrepid Ibex
>>>

>> You can use the file command to see if a file is 32 or 64 bit. I
>> tested a quick and dirty hack and it worked and it should be easy to
>> put it in a script and expand it to work with apt-file to see what
>> package the file belongs to. I don't have an answer for finding KDE
>> 3.5 files, perhaps if you know what libraries it uses you could grep
>> the output from the ldd command. Putting together a script that can
>> do this would come in handy perhaps some with more experience in
>> shell programming can think of something.
>>
>> The one-line command to find 32-bit programs in your path:
>> for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e "s/:/ /g") ; do find "$DIR" -type f
>> -exec file '{}' ; | grep -i 32-bit | sed "s/:.*$//" ; done
>>
>> / Jonas
>>

> Thanks for this, Jonas. I appreciate your help. I really must learn
> some bash sometime...
>
> I tried the command. I got a list of programs (as expected) but there
> are *1776* of them!!!!
>
> I tried the same command with 64-bit substituted for 32-bit and got the
> exact same list (I used diff to compare them).
>
> I'm confused...

Are you sure you got the command all in one line? It works for me.
This is the output:
jonas@intrepid-amd9650:~$ for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e 's/:/
/g') ; do find "$DIR/" -type f -exec file '{}' ; | grep -i '32-bit' |
sed -e 's/:.*$//'; done
/home/jonas/bin/neroAacEnc
/home/jonas/bin/neroAacDec
/home/jonas/bin/ifoedit.exe
/home/jonas/bin/poweriso
/usr/sbin/grub
/usr/bin/wine
/usr/bin/winebuild
/usr/bin/wine-pthread
/usr/bin/mbchk
/usr/bin/widl
/usr/bin/wine-kthread
/usr/bin/winegcc
/usr/bin/wineserver
/usr/bin/winedump
/usr/bin/wmc
/usr/bin/wrc
/usr/bin/skype.real
/usr/bin/wine-preloader

Old 02-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Wulfy

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> Are you sure you got the command all in one line? It works for me.
> This is the output:
> <snip much shorter output than I git>-------------------
>
> Just make sure the command is on one line and it should work.
>
> / Jonas

It was on one line... I copy/pasted it originally and it was on two
lines but I ran the command a second time (with the 32-bit flag) and it
was on one line then...

Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Jonas Norlander

2009/2/12 Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> Are you sure you got the command all in one line? It works for me.
>> This is the output:
>> <snip much shorter output than I git>-------------------
>>
>> Just make sure the command is on one line and it should work.
>>
>> / Jonas
>>

> It was on one line... I copy/pasted it originally and it was on two
> lines but I ran the command a second time (with the 32-bit flag) and it
> was on one line then...
>
> --
> Blessings
>
> Wulfmann

That's strange. Why do it work for me and not for you? Can someone
else try and see if it works for them?

/ Jonas

Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Steven van der Vegt

On Thursday 12 February 2009 21:57:32 Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2009/2/12 Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:
> > Jonas Norlander wrote:
> >> Are you sure you got the command all in one line? It works for me.
> >> This is the output:
> >> <snip much shorter output than I git>-------------------
> >>
> >> Just make sure the command is on one line and it should work.
> >>
> >> / Jonas
> >
> > It was on one line... I copy/pasted it originally and it was on two
> > lines but I ran the command a second time (with the 32-bit flag) and it
> > was on one line then...
> >
> > --
> > Blessings
> >
> > Wulfmann
>
> That's strange. Why do it work for me and not for you? Can someone
> else try and see if it works for them?
>
> / Jonas

There is a difference in the first given command and your second one (the one
including the output)

first:
for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e "s/:/ /g") ; do find "$DIR" -type f; -exec
file '{}' ; | grep -i 32-bit | sed "s/:.*$//" ; done
second:
for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e 's/:/ /g') ; do find "$DIR/" -type f -exec
file '{}' ; | grep -i '32-bit' | sed -e 's/:.*$//'; done

single and double quotes, 32-bit between quotes and a slash behind DIR.

Second works for me, first gives me, like Wulfmann, many application.

Greetings,

Steven

Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Jonas Norlander

2009/2/12 Steven van der Vegt <s.vandervegt@student.utwente.nl>:
> On Thursday 12 February 2009 21:57:32 Jonas Norlander wrote:

>> > It was on one line... I copy/pasted it originally and it was on two
>> > lines but I ran the command a second time (with the 32-bit flag) and it
>> > was on one line then...
>> >
>> > --
>> > Blessings
>> >
>> > Wulfmann
>>
>> That's strange. Why do it work for me and not for you? Can someone
>> else try and see if it works for them?
>>
>> / Jonas
>
> There is a difference in the first given command and your second one (the one
> including the output)
>
> first:
> for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e "s/:/ /g") ; do find "$DIR" -type f; -exec
> file '{}' ; | grep -i 32-bit | sed "s/:.*$//" ; done
> second:
> for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e 's/:/ /g') ; do find "$DIR/" -type f -exec
> file '{}' ; | grep -i '32-bit' | sed -e 's/:.*$//'; done
>
> single and double quotes, 32-bit between quotes and a slash behind DIR.
>
> Second works for me, first gives me, like Wulfmann, many application.

Changing from double qoutes to single was just a test. You have a typo
in the original command line (-type f see the extra ; character? My
original did not have that and with it the output will not be whats
expected. Single or double qoutes for the sed and grep commands should
not do any difference in this case. Why it don't work for Wulfy I
have no idea.

/ Jonas

Old 02-13-2009, 01:47 AM
Wulfy

Steven van der Vegt wrote:
> On Thursday 12 February 2009 21:57:32 Jonas Norlander wrote:

>>> It was on one line... I copy/pasted it originally and it was on two
>>> lines but I ran the command a second time (with the 32-bit flag) and it
>>> was on one line then...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Blessings
>>>
>>> Wulfmann
>>>
>> That's strange. Why do it work for me and not for you? Can someone
>> else try and see if it works for them?
>>
>> / Jonas
>>

> There is a difference in the first given command and your second one (the one
> including the output)
>
> first:
> for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e "s/:/ /g") ; do find "$DIR" -type f; -exec
> file '{}' ; | grep -i 32-bit | sed "s/:.*$//" ; done
> second:
> for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e 's/:/ /g') ; do find "$DIR/" -type f -exec
> file '{}' ; | grep -i '32-bit' | sed -e 's/:.*$//'; done
>
> single and double quotes, 32-bit between quotes and a slash behind DIR.
>
> Second works for me, first gives me, like Wulfmann, many application.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Steven

First version with the ";" removed:

wulfy@wulfy-desktop:~$ for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e "s/:/ /g") ;
do find "$DIR" -type f -exec; > file '{}' ; | grep -i 32-bit | sed
"s/:.*$//" ; done
find: missing argument to `-exec'
bash: {}: command not found
find: missing argument to `-exec'
bash: {}: command not found
find: missing argument to `-exec'
bash: {}: command not found
find: missing argument to `-exec'
bash: {}: command not found
find: missing argument to `-exec'
bash: {}: command not found
find: missing argument to `-exec'
bash: {}: command not found
find: missing argument to `-exec'
bash: {}: command not found
wulfy@wulfy-desktop:~$

Second version:

wulfy@wulfy-desktop:~$ for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e 's/:/ /g') ;
do find "$DIR/" -type f -exec ; file '{}' ; | grep -i '32-bit' | sed -e

erm... still confused... :@)

Old 02-13-2009, 02:02 AM
Wulfy

Wulfy wrote:
> Steven van der Vegt wrote:

>>> That's strange. Why do it work for me and not for you? Can someone
>>> else try and see if it works for them?
>>>
>>> / Jonas
>>>

>> There is a difference in the first given command and your second one (the one
>> including the output)
>>
>> first:
>> for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e "s/:/ /g") ; do find "$DIR" -type f; -exec
>> file '{}' ; | grep -i 32-bit | sed "s/:.*$//" ; done
>> second:
>> for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e 's/:/ /g') ; do find "$DIR/" -type f -exec
>> file '{}' ; | grep -i '32-bit' | sed -e 's/:.*$//'; done
>>
>> single and double quotes, 32-bit between quotes and a slash behind DIR.
>>
>> Second works for me, first gives me, like Wulfmann, many application.
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Steven
>>

> First version with the ";" removed:
>
> wulfy@wulfy-desktop:~$ for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e "s/:/ /g") ;
> do find "$DIR" -type f -exec; > file '{}' ; | grep -i 32-bit | sed
> "s/:.*$//" ; done
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> bash: {}: command not found
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> bash: {}: command not found
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> bash: {}: command not found
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> bash: {}: command not found
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> bash: {}: command not found
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> bash: {}: command not found
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> bash: {}: command not found
> wulfy@wulfy-desktop:~$
>

> Second version:
>
> wulfy@wulfy-desktop:~$ for DIR in $(echo "$PATH" | sed -e 's/:/ /g') ;
> do find "$DIR/" -type f -exec ; file '{}' ; | grep -i '32-bit' | sed -e
> 's/:.*$//'; done
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> find: missing argument to `-exec'
> wulfy@wulfy-desktop:~$
>
> erm... still confused... :@)

Note: The commands were on one line in Konsole... it's just the e-mail
that wrapped them.