Old 01-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Richard Birnie

Default Remove aRts from the archive

Hi,

We are proposing to remove all aRts related packages from the archive in
preparation for the jaunty release. For those who don't know aRts is (was) the
sound system for KDE3. Since the release of KDE4 aRts is no longer maintained
upstream. There are no KDE4 packages that require aRts. Since we no longer
provide a KDE3 desktop in jaunty there is no requirement for aRts.

As a consequence all packages that depend on aRts or one of it's libraries
needs to be recompiled without aRts support. There is a list of affected
packages along with further instructions here:
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/RemoveArts

If you have a particular interest in one of these packages you can help us out
by rebuilding it. In some cases it may not be necessary to rebuild the
package. For example the package may not exist in jaunty (the list was
compiled from my intrepid system) or may have been replaced by a newer version
the application that does not require aRts. If you are aware of any package
where this is the case please let us know by leaving a note in the 'Solution'
column on the wiki page or on this list.

If anyone has any questions or any reasons why this would be a bad idea then
let us know. There are a fair number of packages to deal with so if anyone is
willing to help out with this then come and join us in #kubuntu-devel on irc.

regards,
Rich

Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Scott Kitterman

For kvirc, rgreening was working on a KDE4 based svn snapshot. That should
take care of that one.

Scott K