Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Jonathan Jesse

Default Problems w/ KDE4

Good evening,

I have been running the RC2 packages of KDE4 following the instructions posted
on KUbuntu.org and am running into several problems. *Currently
KNetworkManager is not starting up or at least showing in the system tray to
allow me to connect ot various wireless networks (need to launch it
manually), I cannot suspend or hibernate, and also cannot run any problems
from the Application Launcher that requires sudo permissions.

Anyone else having these types of problems? *If the answer is to compile from
svn do I still have follow all the steps of compiling cmake, qt and the rest
for updates or are there different/simpler steps? *Also compiling from source
do how do I need to set things up to run as my primary user.

Thanks for all the future help, tyring to learn as much as I can over the
holiday break

Jonathan

Old 12-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Michael Anderson

On Monday 24 December 2007 17:56:15 Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I have been running the RC2 packages of KDE4 following the instructions
> posted on KUbuntu.org and am running into several problems. *Currently
> KNetworkManager is not starting up or at least showing in the system tray
> to allow me to connect ot various wireless networks (need to launch it
> manually), I cannot suspend or hibernate, and also cannot run any problems
> from the Application Launcher that requires sudo permissions.

I can launch apps requiring admin access (kdesudo) from krunner without a
problem. I don't use knetworkmanager, so I don't know about that. I have
noticed that the suspend command from the shutdown dialog doesn't work. For
me however, the largest problem is the lack of a working lock screen. well
rather, a unlockable lock screen.

Michael Anderson (nosrednaekim)

Old 12-25-2007, 01:54 AM
"Jonathan Jesse"

On 12/24/07, Michael Anderson <nosrednaekim@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 24 December 2007 17:56:15 Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > Good evening,
> >
> > I have been running the RC2 packages of KDE4 following the instructions
> > posted on KUbuntu.org and am running into several problems. Currently
> > KNetworkManager is not starting up or at least showing in the system tray
> > to allow me to connect ot various wireless networks (need to launch it
> > manually), I cannot suspend or hibernate, and also cannot run any problems
> > from the Application Launcher that requires sudo permissions.
>
> I can launch apps requiring admin access (kdesudo) from krunner without a
> problem. I don't use knetworkmanager, so I don't know about that. I have
> noticed that the suspend command from the shutdown dialog doesn't work. For
> me however, the largest problem is the lack of a working lock screen. well
> rather, a unlockable lock screen.
>
> Michael Anderson (nosrednaekim)
> >
> > Anyone else having these types of problems? If the answer is to compile
> > from svn do I still have follow all the steps of compiling cmake, qt and
> > the rest for updates or are there different/simpler steps? Also compiling
> > from source do how do I need to set things up to run as my primary user.
> >
> > Thanks for all the future help, tyring to learn as much as I can over the
> > holiday break
> >
> > Jonathan

I would echo your hope for both the ability to unlock a session and to
also suspend. Seems silly to have to boot into kde3 when I need to
make sure my screen can lock and i need to suspend, etc... THough
there is probably a better way to do it

Old 12-26-2007, 11:19 PM
"Frode M. Døving"

At Tuesday 25 December 2007 02:22, you wrote:
> On Monday 24 December 2007 17:56:15 Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > Good evening,
> >
> > I have been running the RC2 packages of KDE4 following the instructions
> > posted on KUbuntu.org and am running into several problems. *Currently
> > KNetworkManager is not starting up or at least showing in the system tray
> > to allow me to connect ot various wireless networks (need to launch it
> > manually), I cannot suspend or hibernate, and also cannot run any problems
> > from the Application Launcher that requires sudo permissions.

For suspend I use the command 'sudo pmi action suspend' in konsole.
Depending on what 'pmi capabilities' returns, you can probably also use 'sudo pmi action hibernate'.

Have a look at http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Getting_Started/Build/KDE4#Locked_sessions

--
fdoving

Old 12-27-2007, 12:45 AM
Michael Anderson

On Wednesday 26 December 2007 19:19:47 Frode M. Døving wrote:
> At Tuesday 25 December 2007 02:22, you wrote:
> > On Monday 24 December 2007 17:56:15 Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > > Good evening,
> > >
> > > I have been running the RC2 packages of KDE4 following the instructions
> > > posted on KUbuntu.org and am running into several problems. �Currently
> > > KNetworkManager is not starting up or at least showing in the system
> > > tray to allow me to connect ot various wireless networks (need to
> > > launch it manually), I cannot suspend or hibernate, and also cannot run
> > > any problems from the Application Launcher that requires sudo
> > > permissions.
>
> For suspend I use the command 'sudo pmi action suspend' in konsole.
> Depending on what 'pmi capabilities' returns, you can probably also use
> 'sudo pmi action hibernate'.
>
> > I can launch apps requiring admin access (kdesudo) from krunner without
> > a problem. I don't use knetworkmanager, so I don't know about that. I
> > have noticed that the suspend command from the shutdown dialog doesn't
> > work. For me however, the largest problem is the lack of a working lock
> > screen. well rather, a unlockable lock screen.
>
> Have a look at
> http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Getting_Started/Build/KDE4#Locked_s
>essions

Neither of those methods help (i've already tried them both)

Old 12-27-2007, 09:34 AM
"Frode M. Døving"

At Thursday 27 December 2007 02:45, you wrote:
[snipp]

> > > I can launch apps requiring admin access (kdesudo) from krunner without
> > > a problem. I don't use knetworkmanager, so I don't know about that. I
> > > have noticed that the suspend command from the shutdown dialog doesn't
> > > work. For me however, the largest problem is the lack of a working lock
> > > screen. well rather, a unlockable lock screen.
> >
> > Have a look at
> > http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Getting_Started/Build/KDE4#Locked_s
> >essions
>
> Neither of those methods help (i've already tried them both)

Hum, works for me. The password dialog is not always shown, but typing the password and hitting enter unlocks.

--
fdoving