-   -   Future of KDE Bindings for KDE3 (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/215811-future-kde-bindings-kde3.html)

Scott Kitterman 12-21-2008 06:36 AM

Future of KDE Bindings for KDE3

We are currently dual maintaining bindings for KDE3 and KDE4 for Kubuntu. It
would be nice to drop the KDE3 bindings sooner rather than later and they have
very few reverse depends or build-dep.

I have included the people in Ubuntu/Kubuntu who have mostly been dealing with
the packages in question. In the case of spl and soundkonverter, that's the
Debian Maintainer (I believe that Debian will face this same question as soon
as Lenny is released). Here's what I find in Jaunty (the current Ubuntu
development release) at present (note: this is not based on a deep
understanding of each package - I only had time to scratch the surface, so
please correct me where I'm wrong):

reverse-build-depends libsmokeqt-dev
spl - Builds a spl-kde binary. It appears that neither of the spl-dev reverse
build-depends use the KDE bindings. My proposal would be to simply drop the
KDE bindings if there is not an update to KDE4 bindings when we're ready to
remove the package.

python-dcop
Reverse Depends:
screenlets
emesene
Both of these are just suggests. Is there any real harm for these packages if
python-dcop goes away?

libkorundum0-ruby1.8
Reverse Depends:
kita2
Is there a plan to transition this to libkorundum4-ruby1.8? This looks like a
package that actually needs the bindings from KDE3 for now. Is upstream
working on porting it?

libqt0-ruby1.8
Reverse Depends:
amarok-common/amarok - This goes away once we move the amarok package to
amarok 2, right?

soundkonverter-amarok - Once we switch to amarok 2, I'm guessing this will
need to be ported to libqt4-ruby1.8? I see upstream says a KDE4 version of
soundkonverter is in progress, but gives no schedule.

Looking this over, it seems to me that kita2 is the only major roadblock to
removing kdebindings for KDE3 entirely once the transition to amarok2 is
complete. Is that correct?

Scott K

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort 12-21-2008 08:18 AM

Future of KDE Bindings for KDE3

Hi,

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> python-dcop
> Reverse Depends:
> screenlets
> emesene
> Both of these are just suggests. Is there any real harm for these packages if
> python-dcop goes away?

emesene uses it for the CurrentSong plugin for Amarok, to set the song you're
playing in Amarok in your emesene personal nick.

Is there an alternative in KDE4 to communicate with Amarok2? Anything is fine,
not necessarily Python bindings (e.g. DBus would be cool). If so, I'll look into
porting it, and we can remove the suggests.

Cheers,
Emilio

"Lydia Pintscher" 12-21-2008 09:38 AM

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> libqt0-ruby1.8
> Reverse Depends:
> amarok-common/amarok - This goes away once we move the amarok package to
> amarok 2, right?

Amarok 2 should no longer depend on it. If it does something is wrong.

> soundkonverter-amarok - Once we switch to amarok 2, I'm guessing this will
> need to be ported to libqt4-ruby1.8? I see upstream says a KDE4 version of
> soundkonverter is in progress, but gives no schedule.

As the scripting interface changed completely all Amarok 1 scripts no
longer work with Amarok 2. So if you drop Amarok 1 you can also drop
this unless they port it.

Cherrs
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher
Amarok community manager

Scott Kitterman 12-21-2008 02:28 PM

Future of KDE Bindings for KDE3

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:18:47 +0100 Emilio Pozuelo Monfort
<pochu@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> python-dcop
>> Reverse Depends:
>> screenlets
>> emesene
>> Both of these are just suggests. Is there any real harm for these
packages if
>> python-dcop goes away?
>

>emesene uses it for the CurrentSong plugin for Amarok, to set the song
you're
>playing in Amarok in your emesene personal nick.
>
>Is there an alternative in KDE4 to communicate with Amarok2? Anything is
fine,
>not necessarily Python bindings (e.g. DBus would be cool). If so, I'll
look into
>porting it, and we can remove the suggests.

OK. What you have won't work with Amarok 2 (which we will switch to for
Jaunty) so it will need to be ported, but if not, since it won't work it
should be dropped.

Scott K

Scott Kitterman 12-21-2008 08:57 PM

Future of KDE Bindings for KDE3

As Emilio has discovered, this will need to be ported to support Amarok 2.

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Development/Scripting_HowTo_2.0

In any case it appears once we have Amarok 2 we can safely drop the suggests
since the current script won't work with Amarok 2.

Thanks,

Scott K

Scott Kitterman 12-22-2008 11:15 PM

On Monday 22 December 2008 06:43, Mitsuya Shibata wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/12/21 Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>:
> > libkorundum0-ruby1.8
> > Reverse Depends:
> > kita2
> > Is there a plan to transition this to libkorundum4-ruby1.8? This looks
> > like a package that actually needs the bindings from KDE3 for now. Is
> > upstream working on porting it?
>
> When released current version (1.90.4) in 23rd Sep, upstream author said
> "I will support KDE 4 in next version, if I can spare the time."
>
> I will check whether kita2 work with libkorundum4-ruby1.8, or will
> look into any solution without blocking KDE4 transition.
>
> Thank you for notification.

As a followup, it appears that kita2 is the only package (after the Amarok 2
transition) that would be hurt by dropping the bindings for KDE3. This is a
signficant maintenance burden that we really can't justify for one package.

Please let your upstream know that we are going to drop KDE3 bindings support
before our next release and so kita2 will have to be ported if it's going to
stay in the archive.

Thanks,

Scott K

Scott Kitterman 01-12-2009 02:51 AM

On Monday 22 December 2008 19:15, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday 22 December 2008 06:43, Mitsuya Shibata wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 2008/12/21 Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>:
> > > libkorundum0-ruby1.8
> > > Reverse Depends:
> > > kita2
> > > Is there a plan to transition this to libkorundum4-ruby1.8? This looks
> > > like a package that actually needs the bindings from KDE3 for now. Is
> > > upstream working on porting it?
> >
> > When released current version (1.90.4) in 23rd Sep, upstream author said
> > "I will support KDE 4 in next version, if I can spare the time."
> >
> > I will check whether kita2 work with libkorundum4-ruby1.8, or will
> > look into any solution without blocking KDE4 transition.
> >
> > Thank you for notification.
>
> As a followup, it appears that kita2 is the only package (after the Amarok
> 2 transition) that would be hurt by dropping the bindings for KDE3. This
> is a signficant maintenance burden that we really can't justify for one
> package.
>
> Please let your upstream know that we are going to drop KDE3 bindings
> support before our next release and so kita2 will have to be ported if it's
> going to stay in the archive.

Amarok 2 was just uploaded to Jaunty. This was the major issue keeping KDE3
bindings in the archive. Based on IRC conversations with some of the other
Kubuntu developers, my intention is to re-upload the current kdebindings
package as kde3bindings. That will clear the way for our current
kde4bindings to become kdebindings (as it will be in Debian after Lenny is
released).

Is there any word on a kita2 port to KDE4?

That and concerns about possibly breaking non-packaged third party scripts are
the only things holding the bindings for KDE3 from removal.

Scott K