Old 12-20-2008, 02:53 AM
Scott Kitterman

Default Jaunty Alpha 2 released

Hello Kubuntu developers,

Welcome to Jaunty Jackalope Alpha-2, which will in time become Kubuntu 9.04.

Pre-releases of Jaunty are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a stable
system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even
frequent breakage. They are, however, recommended for Kubuntu developers and
those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.

Alpha 2 is the second in a series of milestone CD images that will be
released throughout the Jaunty development cycle. The Alpha images are
known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD build or installer bugs, while
representing a very recent snapshot of Jaunty. You can download it here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/jaunty/alpha-2/

See http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mirrors for a list of mirrors.

Alpha 2 includes a number of software updates that are ready for large-scale
testing. Please refer to http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/jaunty/alpha2 for
information on changes in Ubuntu.

This is quite an early set of images, so you should expect some bugs. For a
list of known bugs (that you don't need to report if you encounter), please
see:

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/JauntyJackalope/Alpha2/Kubuntu

and the Ubuntu release notes at:

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/jaunty/alpha2

If you're interested in following the changes as we further develop
Jaunty, have a look at the jaunty-changes mailing list:

Bug reports should go to the Ubuntu bug tracker:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu

Enjoy,
--
Scott Kitterman

Most of this email text is thanks to Steve Langasek, Ubuntu Release Manager.
Thanks Steve and remember the plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Richard Johnson

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:53:49PM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Hello Kubuntu developers,
>
> Welcome to Jaunty Jackalope Alpha-2, which will in time become Kubuntu 9.04.

Congratulations to everyone who participated in this release. I can
finally install Jaunty on my systems without any problems, including
encryption!

I apologize about the release notes as it seems there may have possibly
been some miscommunication. If I seem AFK on IRC from this point on, and
we are within 2 days of release, please ping me hardcore about getting
the release notes completed so I can have them done on time. I am
planning on spending some time on updating our release notes template so
in the case I am unable to create the release notes, it will be easy for
someone to step up and complete them.

Also, feel free to ring my cell or sms me concerning this issue or any
other emergency Kubuntu/KDE issue. You can reach me at +1 630 445 3860.
If I do not answer, that means I am unsure of who is calling and I am
screening it, or I am on my couch sleeping and my phone is on vibrate

--
Rich Johnson
nixternal@kubuntu.org