Old 12-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Mitch Golden

Default kde4 services in kde3 apps

With a default install of Intrepid, there are some apps built against KDE
4, and some built against KDE 3.5. If you open a KDE 3.5 app (Amarok is
an example) and open the Help > About Amarok panel, you will see a link to
the amarok site. If you try to click this link, you will receive an error
"Can't find service kfmclient".

This issue afflicts all KDE 3.5 applications, and includes not just
Konqueror (which is what kfmclient is opening) but also khelpcenter, and
possibly others.

The issue appears to be that there are separate directories
/usr/share/applications/kde and /usr/share/applications/kde4, and the
desktop files construct separate sycoca files. Since kfmclient.desktop is
only installed in the kde4 directory, the KDE 3.5 apps can't find it in
their sycoca.

A simple fix is just to make a symlink from the kde4 file into the kde
directory. I.e:

cd /usr/share/applications/kde
sudo ln -S ../kde4/kfmclient* .
kbuildsycoca

and the problem disappears.

So, my question is: this isn't really an issue with the specific Konqueror
package, but an overall structural issue, so to whom should the patch be
submitted?

Does anyone know the complete list of packages that should be accessible
from KDE 3.5 apps? Or perhaps the two directories should just be
combined?

- Mitch Golden

Old 12-19-2008, 07:23 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/12/19 Mitch Golden <mgolden@mitchgolden.com>:
> With a default install of Intrepid, there are some apps built against KDE
> 4, and some built against KDE 3.5. If you open a KDE 3.5 app (Amarok is
> an example) and open the Help > About Amarok panel, you will see a link to
> the amarok site. If you try to click this link, you will receive an error
> "Can't find service kfmclient".
>
> This issue afflicts all KDE 3.5 applications, and includes not just
> Konqueror (which is what kfmclient is opening) but also khelpcenter, and
> possibly others.
>
> The issue appears to be that there are separate directories
> /usr/share/applications/kde and /usr/share/applications/kde4, and the
> desktop files construct separate sycoca files. Since kfmclient.desktop is
> only installed in the kde4 directory, the KDE 3.5 apps can't find it in
> their sycoca.
>
> A simple fix is just to make a symlink from the kde4 file into the kde
> directory. I.e:
>
> cd /usr/share/applications/kde
> sudo ln -S ../kde4/kfmclient* .
> kbuildsycoca
>
> and the problem disappears.
>
> So, my question is: this isn't really an issue with the specific Konqueror
> package, but an overall structural issue, so to whom should the patch be
> submitted?
>
> Does anyone know the complete list of packages that should be accessible
> from KDE 3.5 apps? Or perhaps the two directories should just be
> combined?
>
> - Mitch Golden

Thanks for looking at this problem/bug. I can confirm that that it
works for clicking a link in application like the About box in Amarok
and digikam but it don't help for the khelpcenter problems or did i
misunderstand you?

/ Jonas

Old 12-20-2008, 02:53 AM
Mitch Golden

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Jonas Norlander wrote:

> 2008/12/19 Mitch Golden <mgolden@mitchgolden.com>:

>> A simple fix is just to make a symlink from the kde4 file into the kde
>> directory. I.e:
>>
>> cd /usr/share/applications/kde
>> sudo ln -S ../kde4/kfmclient* .
>> kbuildsycoca
>>
>> and the problem disappears.
>>
>> So, my question is: this isn't really an issue with the specific Konqueror
>> package, but an overall structural issue, so to whom should the patch be
>> submitted?
>>
>> Does anyone know the complete list of packages that should be accessible
>> from KDE 3.5 apps? Or perhaps the two directories should just be
>> combined?
>>
>> - Mitch Golden
>>

> Thanks for looking at this problem/bug. I can confirm that that it
> works for clicking a link in application like the About box in Amarok
> and digikam but it don't help for the khelpcenter problems or did i
> misunderstand you?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was just saying that I had fixed the About
problem that way. We need to either make a full list of KDE 4
apps/services that should be accessible from KDE 3.5 apps (and
vice-versa). There may even be some missing app/services.

Regarding khelpcenter, you can get it to start up if you make this
symlink

sudo ln -s /usr/share/kde4/services/khelpcenter.desktop /usr/share/applications/kde

but it won't actually open the help files, presumably because they aren't
where the kde4 khelpcenter expects to see them. Maybe the kde3
khelpcenter should be included in the release, or the files should be
moved.

- Mitch

Old 12-20-2008, 05:48 AM
Richard Johnson

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 02:39:14PM -0500, Mitch Golden wrote:
[...]
> So, my question is: this isn't really an issue with the specific Konqueror
> package, but an overall structural issue, so to whom should the patch be
> submitted?

I would say file a bug on this, and if you know how to go about creating
a patched package, then assign the bug to yourself and fix away. When
you are done with everything, you can then subscribe the Ubuntu Universe
Sponsors to come along and sponsor your package.

> Does anyone know the complete list of packages that should be accessible
> from KDE 3.5 apps? Or perhaps the two directories should just be
> combined?

With Jaunty, we are hoping we don't have to worry about this. Right now
our 2 big apps that have no solid KDE 4 counterparts yet are
Konversation and K3b. We are hoping to have KDE 4 updates of these
packages before the release, but it is highly doubtful at this time. We
should probably keep this in mind if you file a bug report on this
issue.

--
Rich Johnson
nixternal@kubuntu.org

Old 12-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Mitch Golden

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, Richard Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 02:39:14PM -0500, Mitch Golden wrote:
> [...]
>> So, my question is: this isn't really an issue with the specific Konqueror
>> package, but an overall structural issue, so to whom should the patch be
>> submitted?
>
> I would say file a bug on this, and if you know how to go about creating
> a patched package, then assign the bug to yourself and fix away. When
> you are done with everything, you can then subscribe the Ubuntu Universe
> Sponsors to come along and sponsor your package.

OK, but my question is which package to file the bug and the patch
against. To fix the Konqueror issue I could file it against Konqueror,
but there are other services (KHelpCenter for one, and I don't know what
others there might be) that need the same treatment. Is the appropriate
thing to do to piecemeal file bugs against everything I discover?

>> Does anyone know the complete list of packages that should be accessible
>> from KDE 3.5 apps? Or perhaps the two directories should just be
>> combined?
>
> With Jaunty, we are hoping we don't have to worry about this. Right now
> our 2 big apps that have no solid KDE 4 counterparts yet are
> Konversation and K3b. We are hoping to have KDE 4 updates of these
> packages before the release, but it is highly doubtful at this time. We
> should probably keep this in mind if you file a bug report on this
> issue.

I am surprised by this. I always like to get the full compliment of KDE
packages when I build a box - I always apply kdegames kdeutils kde-extras
kde-devel kde-devel-extras. Is the idea that all of these are going to be
rebuilt for KDE4? Or are they going to be removed from Jaunty? If not,
then it will be necessary for quite some time to make sure these apps have
access to the appropriate KDE4 services.

- Mitch Golden