FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Harald Sitter
 
Default Kubuntu Meeting Minutes 2008-11-18

Kubuntu Meeting Minutes 2008-11-18

Please excuse if I forgot something, I wrote down what I still remembered

= Memebership
* Arby was accepted as Kubuntu Member
* Txwikinger was accepted as Kubuntu Member

= Moving core KDE packaging to bzr
* Mostly good feeling about it
* Further discussion on the mailing list
* Trying to get this done as soon as possible

= UDS topics
* All settled
* Most topics merge with each other in some way
* Can request additional session slots as needed
- or discuss at lunch/dinner/while drinking a brewed liquid

= 4.2 Beta1
* Tarballs to be available soon
* JontheEchidna will be in charge of the packaging efforts, 2nd review and
sponsorship provided by apachelogger
* Packages will be published to Jaunty and the kubuntu-experimental PPA
* Also see last meeting for package locations
(in short: 4.1.x => intrepid-updates && pre-4.2.0 => kubuntu-experimental
4.2.x => intrepid-backports or kubuntu-members-kde4)

= New wiki theme
* Current one doesn't match kubuntu.org theme
* ryanakca is working on new one
* A lot of people mentioned that they disklike fixed width
- seele stated that we must not have more than 25 words per line to keep
it legible

= Bug status
* Fairly good triaged
* JontheEchidna got too much free time since he has time to keep stats about
bugs
* 4.2 beta1 will have immediate impact on bugs (~3-10% are known to be fixed
in KDE trunk)
* KDEPim is still a mess because of hard to reproduce issues
- apachelogger claims most of the issues are about weird dataloss cases
caused by the design of KMail/kio_imap and will resolve with Akonadi
- Arby notes that he has a lot of KDEPim bugs on his radar which are soon-
to-be-closed incomplete
* Apachelogger suggested that having an informal assignment of packages to
people could improve the triage quality and reduce the incoming triage
load
per bug triager

= Kubuntu-users list not very much about support
* Kubuntu members and devs don't really follow the discussions because they
are mostly redundant and pointless
* Such topics will be blocked as needed
* Moderator team is to be created
* Guidelines for moderation are to be established and announced properly

= Dangerous 3rd party KDE 3 repository
* Upgrade problems imminent
* Arby posts disclaimer in the appropriate thread on ubuntuforums
* Apachelogger contacts maintainer
- immediate shut down of the repository
- suggest to get in touch with Kubuntu developers to supersed the current
approach with something less dangerous

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Scott Kitterman
 
Default Kubuntu Meeting Minutes 2008-11-18

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:32:37 +0100 Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com>
wrote:
>Kubuntu Meeting Minutes 2008-11-18

Sorry I couldn't be there.
...
>= Moving core KDE packaging to bzr
> * Mostly good feeling about it
> * Further discussion on the mailing list
> * Trying to get this done as soon as possible

I guess I'll start ...

Is the proposal to keep the debian dir in bzr and still use quilt or to go
to full DVCS packaging and drop the patch system?

Scott K

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Scott Kitterman
 
Default Kubuntu Meeting Minutes 2008-11-18

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:32:37 +0100 Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com>
wrote:
>Kubuntu Meeting Minutes 2008-11-18

>= Dangerous 3rd party KDE 3 repository
> * Upgrade problems imminent
> * Arby posts disclaimer in the appropriate thread on ubuntuforums
> * Apachelogger contacts maintainer
> - immediate shut down of the repository
> - suggest to get in touch with Kubuntu developers to supersed the
current
> approach with something less dangerous

I'd suggest it's not a good FOSS like approach to demand a derivative shut
down. I think this is particularly true when they are supporting a user
need (want) that we have declined to try and support.

If someone wants to help out so he does it better, that's great, but
demanding a shutdown isn't a good way to go (if nothing else, consider the
headline of the /. article someone could write).

Scott K

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Harald Sitter
 
Default Kubuntu Meeting Minutes 2008-11-18

On Wednesday 19 November 2008 14:10:59 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:32:37 +0100 Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com>
>
> wrote:
> >Kubuntu Meeting Minutes 2008-11-18
> >
> >= Dangerous 3rd party KDE 3 repository
> > * Upgrade problems imminent
> > * Arby posts disclaimer in the appropriate thread on ubuntuforums
> > * Apachelogger contacts maintainer
> > - immediate shut down of the repository
> > - suggest to get in touch with Kubuntu developers to supersed the
>
> current
>
> > approach with something less dangerous
>
> I'd suggest it's not a good FOSS like approach to demand a derivative shut
> down. I think this is particularly true when they are supporting a user
> need (want) that we have declined to try and support.
>
> If someone wants to help out so he does it better, that's great, but
> demanding a shutdown isn't a good way to go (if nothing else, consider the
> headline of the /. article someone could write).

The shutdown is to prevent more users from getting the current packages. The
long term target is to assimilate the packages into some PPA and have them
done in a way that doesn't cause problems.
The long the current packages stay available the more difficult it's gonna be to
get everyone who uses them to get rid of them again and replace them with
sensible ones.

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Harald Sitter
 
Default Kubuntu Meeting Minutes 2008-11-18

On Wednesday 19 November 2008 14:04:57 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:32:37 +0100 Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com>
>
> wrote:
> >Kubuntu Meeting Minutes 2008-11-18
>
> Sorry I couldn't be there.
> ...
>
> >= Moving core KDE packaging to bzr
> > * Mostly good feeling about it
> > * Further discussion on the mailing list
> > * Trying to get this done as soon as possible
>
> I guess I'll start ...
>
> Is the proposal to keep the debian dir in bzr and still use quilt or to go
> to full DVCS packaging and drop the patch system?

I'll send a mail about that specific topic as soon as I finished writing. But
the idea is to only have debian in bzr for now.

Regards,
Harald

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Scott Kitterman
 
Default Kubuntu Meeting Minutes 2008-11-18

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:15:53 +0100 Harald Sitter <apachelogger@ubuntu.com>
wrote:
>On Wednesday 19 November 2008 14:10:59 Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:32:37 +0100 Harald Sitter
<apachelogger@ubuntu.com>
>>
>> wrote:
>> >Kubuntu Meeting Minutes 2008-11-18
>> >
>> >= Dangerous 3rd party KDE 3 repository
>> > * Upgrade problems imminent
>> > * Arby posts disclaimer in the appropriate thread on ubuntuforums
>> > * Apachelogger contacts maintainer
>> > - immediate shut down of the repository
>> > - suggest to get in touch with Kubuntu developers to supersed the
>> current
>> > approach with something less dangerous
>>
>> I'd suggest it's not a good FOSS like approach to demand a derivative
shut
>> down. I think this is particularly true when they are supporting a user
>> need (want) that we have declined to try and support.
>>
>> If someone wants to help out so he does it better, that's great, but
>> demanding a shutdown isn't a good way to go (if nothing else, consider
the
>> headline of the /. article someone could write).
>
>The shutdown is to prevent more users from getting the current packages.
The
>long term target is to assimilate the packages into some PPA and have them
>done in a way that doesn't cause problems.
>The long the current packages stay available the more difficult it's gonna
be to
>get everyone who uses them to get rid of them again and replace them with
>sensible ones.

OK. I think it's important to ask nicely and not demand. Is the idea to
using pinning instead of a higher epoch?

Scott K

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Harald Sitter
 
Default Kubuntu Meeting Minutes 2008-11-18

On Wednesday 19 November 2008 15:01:09 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> OK. I think it's important to ask nicely and not demand. Is the idea to
> using pinning instead of a higher epoch?

I would try to get it done the hardy way. It seems most sensible to be able to
have both versions installed at the same time. It also should be a lot easier
with KDE 3, the most annoying thing about KDE 4 being in usr/lib/kde4 was
really the fiddeling for new releases, so since KDE 3 will not have a new
release every month, maintaining the different prefix solution ought to be
fairly decent. That is: if we can get autohell to rpath the packages ;-)

Regards,
Harald

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:22 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org