Old 10-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Mario Limonciello

Default BlueZ 4.x for Intrepid

Hi Everyone:

Unfortunately rather late in the development cycle it was brought to my
attention by Emmet and Onkar that some major regressions had developed
for the BlueZ 3.x stack regarding input device pairing.* Returning back
to an earlier snapshot wasn't a good option because a lot of bugs that
focused around the improvement with Symbian devices were resolved in
the versions in Intrepid.* The jist of the regression centered around
keyboard pairing working, but after the device was paired, it wasn't
functional.

As a data point for comparison, the idea was thrown around to try out
the 4.x stack to see if this issue existed there too.* I did some
initial packaging for the 4.x stack and placed it on the bluetooth team
PPA [1].* The issue was resolved, but unfortunately in the time period
between 3.x and 4.x, the entire API changed and the project migrated
onto a new version control system.* This makes pulling out any relevant
fixes to the exact issue quite difficult in a timely fashion.*

Switching to the 4.x stack does have the other significant advantage of
providing a much more user friendly experience along with a pairing
wizard.* I've been able to flawlessly pair to multiple headsets,
keyboards, mice, and a Blackberry.

Being that the problem is resolved in the 4.x stack, Emmet, Onkar,
Michael Casadeveall, Steve Kowalik and myself worked on bringing over
all other library related changes to the PPA as well. [2]

At this point the packages on the Bluetooth PPA should be in very good
shape and significant improvements over what's currently in Intrepid.
[1]

So, anyone who has an interest in anything Bluetooth related for
Intrepid, I ask that you try to test these packages and look for any
regressions in your related packages. [3] * Particularly, the KDE
experience hasn't been tested by anyone with BlueZ 4.x, so if a KDE
user could comment a little bit on this, that would be quite helpful.

Here's the basic overview of what you can do to help test:

Start out with an up to date Intrepid system.
Add in the Bluetooth PPA as described in [1]
Perform an APT upgrade.* You'll likely see a lot of other
seemingly unrelated applications updated.* This is for the
libbluetooth2->libbluetooth3 transition [2].
Restart the GUI

If you are on gnome, killall bluetooth-applet &&
bluetooth-applet to restart the GUI
There should be an equivalent for KDE, but i'm not aware of
what it is

Attempt to pair and use your relevant devices.* Gnome users, use
the nice pretty wizard now.

Input devices should work immediately when paired.

Audio devices will create another ALSA device, but it's not
representable as a "card" to ALSA.* You can test these with:

aplay -D headset $FILENAME
OBEX transfers should work to phones or other OBEX targets.
If you set up gnome-user-share, OBEX transfers should work to
your computer too

Provided nothing detrimental comes up, these packages should ideally be
uploaded to Intrepid shortly after beta.* I'll try to address a few
things that might be coming up:

Hildon patch for bluez-gnome.* This was dropped, but Emmet wrote
a new patch that makes bluez-gnome use a horizontal layout that fits
well on smaller devices.* Currently it's in the bluez-gnome package on
the PPA and It's being discussed upstream right now for widespread
adoption.
Doc Team & Translation team.* I sent an email to their
mailing lists a few days ago, but I didn't see any traffic about how
this will affect them.* I expect it's more beneficial than anything for
doc team as the documentation is much easier with a Point and Click
interface.
API changes.* Any packages that were rdepends on libbluetooth and
showed obvious problems, we went through wrote a handful of patches for
to make them work with BlueZ 4.x.* Once the final call is made on
bringing 4.x into Intrepid, we'll submit those to the appropriate bug
trackers.

Thanks in advance!

[1] https://launchpad.net/~bluetooth/+archive

[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/anyremote/+bug/276343

[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bluez-utils/+bug/274950

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1@ubuntu.com

Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 AM
"Matthew East"

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 7:24 AM, Mario Limonciello <superm1@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Doc Team & Translation team. I sent an email to their mailing lists a few
> days ago, but I didn't see any traffic about how this will affect them. I
> expect it's more beneficial than anything for doc team as the documentation
> is much easier with a Point and Click interface.

I don't think your email got through to either list: I found it in the
moderator requests for -translators and pushed it through now. I
didn't find it in the moderator requests for -doc.

It's strange because ubuntu and canonical email addresses should be
whitelisted on both those lists, but I guess the syntax
(^.@ubuntu.com) isn't working...

Anyway, I don't see a problem from the docteam point of view, we don't
have any documentation for bluetooth other than any documentation that
comes from upstream.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org

Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 AM
"Matthew East"

Old 10-02-2008, 01:08 PM
"John-Scott Atlakson"

I don't think your email got through to either list: I found it in the

moderator requests for -translators and pushed it through now. I

didn't find it in the moderator requests for -doc.

It's strange because ubuntu and canonical email addresses should be

whitelisted on both those lists, but I guess the syntax

(^.@ubuntu.com) isn't working...

--

Matthew East

http://www.mdke.org

gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Apologies if I'm completely wrong, but assuming the syntax is just normal regular expressions, wouldn't the pattern need to be: (^.+@ubuntu.com)? In the pattern you show, the '.' would only match a single character (so only addresses like a@ubuntu.com), whereas the '.+' would match one or more characters like abcd@ubuntu.com.

Cheers,
John-Scott

Old 10-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Do, 2008-10-02 at 01:24 -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> Hi Everyone:
>
> Unfortunately rather late in the development cycle it was brought to my attention by Emmet and Onkar that some major regressions had developed for the BlueZ 3.x stack regarding input device pairing.
i think thats a fairly massive understatement out of my four
bluetooth devices exactly zero work with teh current bluetooth
implementation ... beyond that teh current gnome-bluez stack tries to
call nautilus for the obex protocol, but apparently gvfs didnt learn
about that yet, which means you just end up with an error about it being
not supported ... if we cant upgrade i'd actually propose to drop
bluetooth support altogether unless anyone speaks up for whom *anything*
works ... since thats a massive regression in functionallity we really
should see to get the 4.x stack in imho....

ciao
oli

Old 10-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Luke Yelavich

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 04:24:16PM EST, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> So, anyone who has an interest in anything Bluetooth related for
> Intrepid, I ask that you try to test these packages and look for any
> regressions in your related packages. [3] Particularly, the KDE
> experience hasn't been tested by anyone with BlueZ 4.x, so if a KDE user
> could comment a little bit on this, that would be quite helpful.
>
> Here's the basic overview of what you can do to help test:

I'm a little concerned that this may break bluetooth Braille display pairing, however I will luckily have access to such a display this weekend, so I'll test the 4.x stack with brltty, if it can be built against the new stack.

Luke

Old 10-05-2008, 12:05 AM
"A. Walton"

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> On Do, 2008-10-02 at 01:24 -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote:
>> Hi Everyone:
>>
>> Unfortunately rather late in the development cycle it was brought to my attention by Emmet and Onkar that some major regressions had developed for the BlueZ 3.x stack regarding input device pairing.
> i think thats a fairly massive understatement out of my four
> bluetooth devices exactly zero work with teh current bluetooth
> implementation ... beyond that teh current gnome-bluez stack tries to
> call nautilus for the obex protocol, but apparently gvfs didnt learn
> about that yet, which means you just end up with an error about it being
> not supported ...

Something's wrong here, as GVFS has had obex-ftp support since before
Hardy, and Bastien even updated it for Bluez 4.x (though I believe the
patch is currently in GVFS trunk and not in Ubuntu yet; don't take my
word on this one). Perhaps you should file a bug about what
specifically doesn't work?

Old 10-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Mario Limonciello

A. Walton wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> Something's wrong here, as GVFS has had obex-ftp support since before
> Hardy, and Bastien even updated it for Bluez 4.x (though I believe the
> patch is currently in GVFS trunk and not in Ubuntu yet; don't take my
> word on this one). Perhaps you should file a bug about what
> specifically doesn't work?

The patch for this is on the bluetooth PPA as well.

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1@ubuntu.com

Old 10-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Max

A. Walton ha scritto:

> Something's wrong here, as GVFS has had obex-ftp support since before
> Hardy, and Bastien even updated it for Bluez 4.x (though I believe the
> patch is currently in GVFS trunk and not in Ubuntu yet; don't take my
> word on this one). Perhaps you should file a bug about what
> specifically doesn't work?

the problem described in this thread is similar to:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/obex-data-server/+bug/211252

it is an obex-data-server regression bug on nokia symbian phone:

http://bugs.muiline.com/view.php?id=55

anyway the bug is reported as fixed in intrepid.

Max