Old 09-10-2008, 03:14 AM
"Jonathan Jesse"

Default Printer Settings

Working through documentation of Printers section of the help and right now in System Settings there is no Printer Section.* However there system-settings-config-printer.* From the name I take it this will one day be merged into System Settings.* Will this merge happen before Intrepid is released or should I point them to the system-settings-config-printer?* If it is going to be system-settings-config-printer can we get a better name to launch from the Applicaiton Launcher?

*
Thanks,
*
Jonatahn

Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 AM
Jonathan

I don't think there is a way to embed python apps as systemsettings
modules in KDE 4 yet, so I'd go with directing the user to the system-
settings-config-printer app for now.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Harald Sitter

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 05:17:32 Jonathan wrote:
> I don't think there is a way to embed python apps as systemsettings
> modules in KDE 4 yet, so I'd go with directing the user to the system-
> settings-config-printer app for now.

I think we could go with a kdm-like approach, i.e. list the items in
systemsettings but open them in a seperate window as child process.
I guess we would need some desktop file magic?

Regards,
Harald

Old 09-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 11:14:05PM -0400, Jonathan Jesse wrote:

> Working through documentation of Printers section of the help and
> right now in System Settings there is no Printer Section. However
> there system-settings-config-printer. From the name I take it this
> will one day be merged into System Settings. Will this merge happen
> before Intrepid is released or should I point them to the
> system-settings-config-printer? If it is going to be
> system-settings-config-printer can we get a better name to launch from
> the Applicaiton Launcher?

It won't be integrated into System Settings for Intrepid. It being
system-settings-config-printer in the menu is a bug, it's also there
as Printing.

Jonathan

Old 07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Hi

using system-config-printer I tried to get a HP DeskJet 600 working.
It's printing in disgusting quality only. Years ago I used the same
printer. The setup was easy to do and the printing quality was
excellent, I can't remember if it was on Debian, but at least it was
Linux. If I try to print by best quality using Debian today, the
printing is deformed. Standard and draft printings are disgusting, much
more worse than they should be.

On Ubuntu Maverick it's a little bit better. The recommended driver "HP
Deskjet 600 hpijs, 3.10.6 [en]" is unusable, regarding to the bad
printing quality, but there's another driver "HP Deskjet 600 - CUPS
+Gutenprint v5.2.6 [en]" and using this one, the quality for printing
fonts is ok, just pics are still printed in a disgusting quality.

Until now for Debian I only can chose between "HP Deskjet 600 hpijs,
3.11.5 [en]" and "HP Deskjet 600, hpcups 3.11.5 [en]", both drivers
cause a bad printing quality for fonts and pics.

Later today I'll try to get this "+Gutenberg" driver for Debian too, but
as mentioned before even this one isn't ok.

Is there still an old driver usable today? I know that Linux + this
printer can do very much better.

Is there a way to set up everything, so that it will work? By
system-config-printer some settings can't be done and others don't work.

FWIW as soon as I have got the time to do it, I'll test if Suse 11.2
still works with this old printer. I suspect Debian and Ubuntu to drop
too much old hardware, perhaps I've got better luck with Suse.

If possible, please carbon copy to my email address, since I'm
receiving digest only.

Regards,

Ralf

--
"I can't watch TV longer than five minutes without praying for nuclear
holocaust."

Old 07-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 14:37:00 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> using system-config-printer I tried to get a HP DeskJet 600 working.
> It's printing in disgusting quality only. Years ago I used the same
> printer. The setup was easy to do and the printing quality was
> excellent, I can't remember if it was on Debian, but at least it was
> Linux. If I try to print by best quality using Debian today, the
> printing is deformed. Standard and draft printings are disgusting, much
> more worse than they should be.

(...)

A bad printer driver can give indeed very poor results :-(

For that kind of printer I would go for the latest available version of
HPLIP and try with that.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-05-2011, 05:55 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Hi!
Maybe you will give cups a try.
- Install cups
- Open a browser and type in http://localhost:631
- when the webgui starts, cofigure to your needs.

Good luck!

Hans

Old 07-05-2011, 05:58 PM
KS

On 05/07/11 01:55 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Hi!
> Maybe you will give cups a try.
> - Install cups
> - Open a browser and type in http://localhost:631
> - when the webgui starts, cofigure to your needs.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Hans

CUPS is what I use for my HL-2070N (and temporarily the HL-2070W). For
some drivers which I could choose from, it wouldn't even print. So right
now I'm using: Brother HL-2140 Foomatic/hpijs-pcl5e (recommended)

Try different drivers to see which suits best.

KS

Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 18:00 +0000,

Hi Camaleón

I've got hpijs and hplip installed, both drivers are bad .
Right now I installed ijsgutenprint, since a gutenprint driver is able
to give good printing quality for fonts, but there's no additional new
driver available by system-config-printer. I'm going to install more
gutenprint packages as soon as possible.

Thank you Hans. I tried starting with this, but it didn't work.
Perhaps the needed cups packages were missing, I can try it again as
soon as possible.

Today and the last days before I just had/have minutes to work on the
computer, that makes it more difficult to solve the issue.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Roger Leigh

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 08:30:48PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I've got hpijs and hplip installed, both drivers are bad .
> Right now I installed ijsgutenprint, since a gutenprint driver is able
> to give good printing quality for fonts, but there's no additional new
> driver available by system-config-printer. I'm going to install more
> gutenprint packages as soon as possible.

cups-driver-gutenprint is probably what you want if you're using
CUPS. Forget IJS!

Regards,
Roger

--