FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Simon Edwards
 
Default KDE Guidance development (was: anybody working on userconfig?)

Yuriy Kozlov wrote:
> I remember someone claiming it at some point, but according to
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Todo nobody is working on porting
> userconfig and mountconfig. If nobody's working on it, I'll try to
> find some time sometime soon to do userconfig.
>
> If anybody is working on anything on the Todo page, please update the status!

I've been busy looking after PyKDE and unfortunately neglecting
guidance. (Thanks go to all the people who have been doing maintenance
work on guidance). I want to get guidance up and running again on KDE 4,
if people want to step and claim a piece of the work then that's great
as long as it is coordinated.

Akademy starts this weekend and I'll be there for the whole week and am
interested in meeting up with anyone interesting in helping out with
guidance. I'm also interesting in hearing about which configuration
needs are still not addressed in KDE / Kubuntu. (Is there a wiki page
somewhere about this?)

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com | http://www.simonzone.com/software/
Nijmegen, The Netherlands | "ZooTV? You made the right choice."

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 PM
"Yuriy Kozlov"
 
Default KDE Guidance development (was: anybody working on userconfig?)

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Simon Edwards <simon@simonzone.com> wrote:
> Yuriy Kozlov wrote:
>> I remember someone claiming it at some point, but according to
>> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Todo nobody is working on porting
>> userconfig and mountconfig. If nobody's working on it, I'll try to
>> find some time sometime soon to do userconfig.
>>
>> If anybody is working on anything on the Todo page, please update the status!
>
> I've been busy looking after PyKDE and unfortunately neglecting
> guidance. (Thanks go to all the people who have been doing maintenance
> work on guidance). I want to get guidance up and running again on KDE 4,
> if people want to step and claim a piece of the work then that's great
> as long as it is coordinated.
>

I started working on userconfig last week. It's here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~yuriy-kozlov/guidance/userconfig-kde4

> Akademy starts this weekend and I'll be there for the whole week and am
> interested in meeting up with anyone interesting in helping out with
> guidance. I'm also interesting in hearing about which configuration
> needs are still not addressed in KDE / Kubuntu. (Is there a wiki page
> somewhere about this?)
>

Unfortunately I won't be at Akademy .
The Intrepid Todo page ( https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Todo )
somewhat summarizes what configuration tools are still needed, and so
do the Intrepid Specs that it's based on. In addition, many KCMs in
KDE4 still need work IMO (seele: how's the review of systemsettings
going?).

~ Yuriy

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 08-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Vlad
 
Default KDE Guidance development (was: anybody working on userconfig?)

Hi,

--- On Tue, 8/5/08, Simon Edwards <simon@simonzone.com> wrote:
> From: Simon Edwards <simon@simonzone.com>
> Subject: KDE Guidance development (was: anybody working on userconfig?)
> To: "Kubuntu Developer Discussion" <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 12:48 PM
> Yuriy Kozlov wrote:
> > I remember someone claiming it at some point, but
> according to
> > https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Todo nobody is
> working on porting
> > userconfig and mountconfig. If nobody's working
> on it, I'll try to
> > find some time sometime soon to do userconfig.

According to https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuIntrepidKDE4Porting :

"Guidance's user setup tool should be replaced with kuser."

Thanks,
-Vlad




--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 08-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Simon Edwards
 
Default KDE Guidance development (was: anybody working on userconfig?)

Hi,

Vlad wrote:
> According to https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuIntrepidKDE4Porting :
> "Guidance's user setup tool should be replaced with kuser."

It is a pity there was no reason given for this (maybe because guidance
hasn't been ported??), because kuser is just as ugly as ever. It don't
think it has been seriously updated since KDE 1, maybe 2.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com | http://www.simonzone.com/software/
Nijmegen, The Netherlands | "ZooTV? You made the right choice."

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 08-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Scott Kitterman
 
Default KDE Guidance development (was: anybody working on userconfig?)

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 18:24, Simon Edwards wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Vlad wrote:
> > According to https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuIntrepidKDE4Porting :
> > "Guidance's user setup tool should be replaced with kuser."
>
> It is a pity there was no reason given for this (maybe because guidance
> hasn't been ported??), because kuser is just as ugly as ever. It don't
> think it has been seriously updated since KDE 1, maybe 2.

IIRC (I was at UDS where this was discussed, but it's been a while), that was
part of it. At the time I think there were hooks missing to do such modules
in Python like we have in KDE3. I don't know if that's still relevant or
not.

Scott K

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org