Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 AM
"Christian A. Reiter"

Default KDE 4.1 "for testers only"

> Does this mean that Kubuntu Intrepid will be "for testers only"? After
> all, the Ibex will be based on KDE 4.1...

No, of course not.
I meant KDE 4.1 in Ubuntu Hardy, like proposed on the homepage.

Christian

Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 AM
"Christian A. Reiter"

> I have no problem supporting that brainstorm idea, but the best thing Auzy
> could have done was create the HTML or a patch to fix those pages to make
> them so- called "non-cryptic". The great thing about an open source
> relationship is that it is a give-and-take relationship, but to many people
> are taking nowadays. Maybe I should create a brainstorm idea that people
> should give a little, it isn't hard and there is plenty of stuff to give no
> matter a users level of experience.

I definitely agree.
And I have no problem doing that - I will try to make a patch.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Pär Andersson

On Thursday 31 July 2008 12.42.48 Christian A. Reiter wrote:
> Like "Auzy" said in the idea, www.kubuntu.org is for new users as well, and
> if they see "KDE 4.1 Released" in big letters on the homepage they want to
> install it.

First of all, I hope this mail don't sound to negative. It is great that
packages for new KDE versions is available on hardy, and I appreciate all the
work done by kubuntu developers to both make the packages and backport them
to hardy.

Unfortunately I don't think the way the latest releases have been made is
good. First of all, if releases are posted on the kubuntu.org front page they
should as Christian says at least have some sort of warning that the packages
are not fully supported. This is of course extra important when RC/BETA
versions is released.

Then I do not think it is good to use the kubuntu-members-kde4 PPA for the
releases. That PPA contain other software, for example an alpha of Amarok.
Nice packages, but not necessarily what you expect when following
instructions for installing KDE 4.1. But the worst thing with the PPA is that
it is a moving target. Many people who have waited for 4.1, a stable KDE
release, are now told to enable the PPA to install it. Fine, but they
probably don't want KDE 4.2 alpha1 (or similar) in the future when this might
show up in the PPA.

KDE 3.5 releases used to have a separate repository on kubuntu.org, signed by
Jonathan Riddells GPG key, I think that solution was much better. Of course
KDE 4.1 beta1, beta2, RC1, final could have used the same repository.

Best regards
Pär Andersson

Old 07-31-2008, 01:26 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:16:53 +0200 Pär Andersson <paran@lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>KDE 3.5 releases used to have a separate repository on kubuntu.org, signed by
>Jonathan Riddells GPG key, I think that solution was much better.

Given the current issues with DNS cache poisoning, I think the bit about signing is particularly important.

Scott K

Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Celeste Lyn Paul

On Thursday 31 July 2008 10:31:36 Wulfy wrote:
> Christian A. Reiter wrote:
> >> Does this mean that Kubuntu Intrepid will be "for testers only"? After
> >> all, the Ibex will be based on KDE 4.1...
> >
> > No, of course not.
> > I meant KDE 4.1 in Ubuntu Hardy, like proposed on the homepage.
> >
> > Christian
>
> So what's the difference? KDE 4.1 is KDE 4.1... if it's "only for
> testers" in Hardy, how does it suddenly become production quality for
> Intrepid?

Before the 29th the packages provided were beta and release candidates. Betas
and RCs are for testers, not production. Now that 4.1 is out, it is suitable
for everyone to use and that is what will be in Intrepid. Where is the
confusion?

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
celeste@kde.org

Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Wulfy

Christian A. Reiter wrote:

Does this mean that Kubuntu Intrepid will be "for testers only"? After
all, the Ibex will be based on KDE 4.1...

No, of course not.
I meant KDE 4.1 in Ubuntu Hardy, like proposed on the homepage.

Christian

So what's the difference? KDE 4.1 is KDE 4.1...* if it's "only for
testers" in Hardy, how does it suddenly become production quality for
Intrepid?

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 07-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Thursday 31 July 2008 10:31, Wulfy wrote:
> Christian A. Reiter wrote:
> >> Does this mean that Kubuntu Intrepid will be "for testers only"? After
> >> all, the Ibex will be based on KDE 4.1...
> >
> > No, of course not.
> > I meant KDE 4.1 in Ubuntu Hardy, like proposed on the homepage.
> >
> > Christian
>
> So what's the difference? KDE 4.1 is KDE 4.1... if it's "only for
> testers" in Hardy, how does it suddenly become production quality for
> Intrepid?

By the time Intrepid is released it will (likely) be 4.1.3 instead of 4.1.0
and have had a relatively long period of stability, testing, and formal QA.
None of that work has been done yet.

The answer to your question is it doesn't "suddenly become production
quality". There's a lot of work to be done between now and October.

Scott K

Old 07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Thursday 31 July 2008 10:31, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:

> > > No, of course not.
> > > I meant KDE 4.1 in Ubuntu Hardy, like proposed on the homepage.
> > >
> > > Christian
> >
> > So what's the difference? KDE 4.1 is KDE 4.1... if it's "only for
> > testers" in Hardy, how does it suddenly become production quality for
> > Intrepid?
>
> Before the 29th the packages provided were beta and release candidates.
> Betas and RCs are for testers, not production. Now that 4.1 is out, it is
> suitable for everyone to use and that is what will be in Intrepid. Where
> is the confusion?

You think our packaging of KDE4.1 in the Hardy PPA is mature enough for
everyone?

I will repeat for emphasis that using an unsigned repository in the midst of
an ongoing problem with DNS cache poisoning is not, IMO, a good plan.

Scott K

Old 07-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Wulfy

Ah, OK!* Thanks for helping me understand.* :@)

Old 07-31-2008, 02:59 PM
"Christian A. Reiter"

> > The answer to your question is it doesn't "suddenly become production
> > quality". There's a lot of work to be done between now and October.
> >
> > Scott K
>
> Ah, OK! Thanks for helping me understand. :@)

That's exactly what I meant (and "Auzy"'s idea was):
Even Wulfy, who writes to the Kubuntu-devel mailing list, didn't know that.
It hast o be made clear on the homepage...

I'll try to "invent" some phrases, if you don't mind; where should I put them
then?

Christian