Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 AM
"Krzysztof Lichota"

Default KDE 4.1 "for testers only"

2008/8/1 Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>:
> Personally, I don't think we had any choice at least in one regard:
> displayconfig.
>
> The current displayconfig for KDE3 that's in Hardy I managed to patch up well
> enough to work with Hardy's X and just throw it over the finish line. To
> work well with even Hardy's X and to be usable with future X versions that
> are even more oriented towards Xrandr and no xorg.conf would require a
> substantial rewrite that no one is willing to undertake.
>
> So, any KDE3 desktop we might have chosen to deliver with Intrepid would have
> been horribly broken in at least that respect.

I think it is much easier to run one KDE4 application (rarely used,
for most tasks krandrtray is sufficient) in KDE3 desktop than to run
whole KDE4 desktop.

--

Krzysztof Lichota

Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 PM
"Antonio Augusto (Mancha)"

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 06:52, Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek@lichota.net> wrote:
> 2008/8/1 Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>:
>> Personally, I don't think we had any choice at least in one regard:
>> displayconfig.
>>
>> The current displayconfig for KDE3 that's in Hardy I managed to patch up well
>> enough to work with Hardy's X and just throw it over the finish line. To
>> work well with even Hardy's X and to be usable with future X versions that
>> are even more oriented towards Xrandr and no xorg.conf would require a
>> substantial rewrite that no one is willing to undertake.
>>
>> So, any KDE3 desktop we might have chosen to deliver with Intrepid would have
>> been horribly broken in at least that respect.
>
> I think it is much easier to run one KDE4 application (rarely used,
> for most tasks krandrtray is sufficient) in KDE3 desktop than to run
> whole KDE4 desktop.

And then there would be a lot of complain about how broke KDE is in
Kubuntu, and a lot of people would get away of it

Cheers,
KM

Old 08-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Pär Andersson

On Thursday 31 July 2008 15.26.53 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:16:53 +0200 Pär Andersson <paran@lysator.liu.se>
> wrote: ...
>
> >KDE 3.5 releases used to have a separate repository on kubuntu.org, signed
> > by Jonathan Riddells GPG key, I think that solution was much better.
>
> Given the current issues with DNS cache poisoning, I think the bit about
> signing is particularly important.

The unsigned repository part of the problem could be solved by getting PPAs
signed. There is bug 125103 about this that had some discussion in the past.
You as a MOTU could perhaps point this bug out in the "Proposed Features for
Launchpad Bugs 3.0" thread on ubuntu-motu? :-)

KDE 3 releases had a separate repository for every KDE release, KDE 3.5.6 was
at "http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-356" for example. I think having a single
repository for 4.1 where later versions like 4.1.1 would show up would be
fine.

Today the release notes is instructing users to add a development PPA that is
used for all current and future versions of KDE4 and other related packages.
This does not match the given description which is: "To update to KDE 4.1,
please follow these instructions:".

Regards,

Pär Andersson

Old 08-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Saturday 09 August 2008 08:18, Pär Andersson wrote:
> On Thursday 31 July 2008 15.26.53 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:16:53 +0200 Pär Andersson <paran@lysator.liu.se>
> > wrote: ...
> >
> > >KDE 3.5 releases used to have a separate repository on kubuntu.org,
> > > signed by Jonathan Riddells GPG key, I think that solution was much
> > > better.
> >
> > Given the current issues with DNS cache poisoning, I think the bit about
> > signing is particularly important.
>
> The unsigned repository part of the problem could be solved by getting PPAs
> signed. There is bug 125103 about this that had some discussion in the
> past. You as a MOTU could perhaps point this bug out in the "Proposed
> Features for Launchpad Bugs 3.0" thread on ubuntu-motu? :-)

It was the first item on my list.

Scott K