Old 07-31-2008, 10:42 AM
"Christian A. Reiter"

Default KDE 4.1 "for testers only"

I just read and commented this Brainstorm idea:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/11671/

And maybe Kubuntu should consider not making the same thing again KDE did with
4.0 - There should definitely be anything like "test it, try it, but it is
NOT recommended for daily use in Kubuntu." at
http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1

Like "Auzy" said in the idea, www.kubuntu.org is for new users as well, and if
they see "KDE 4.1 Released" in big letters on the homepage they want to
install it.

Christian

Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 AM
"Richard A. Johnson"

On Thursday 31 July 2008 05:42:48 Christian A. Reiter wrote:
> I just read and commented this Brainstorm idea:
> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/11671/
>
> And maybe Kubuntu should consider not making the same thing again KDE did
> with 4.0 - There should definitely be anything like "test it, try it, but
> it is NOT recommended for daily use in Kubuntu." at
> http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1
>
> Like "Auzy" said in the idea, www.kubuntu.org is for new users as well, and
> if they see "KDE 4.1 Released" in big letters on the homepage they want to
> install it.
>
> Christian

I have mixed feelings concerning this. The main reason I have mixed feelings is
that if someone cannot follow instructions or take the time to learn what the
instructions are telling them, then you can plan on them not staying Linux noobs
for long and can bet they go back to XP or Vista at the drop of a hat.

With the arguments that I seen about Linux, well the same could be said about
Windows. I have never depended or used Windows for anytime. Since 1994 I have
been using Linux, and when I get into Windows I am lost. I think Windows should
include proper command line utilities for me to get my work done or provide
something similar to Gnome or KDE so I can get work done.

I have no problem supporting that brainstorm idea, but the best thing Auzy could
have done was create the HTML or a patch to fix those pages to make them so-
called "non-cryptic". The great thing about an open source relationship is that
it is a give-and-take relationship, but to many people are taking nowadays.
Maybe I should create a brainstorm idea that people should give a little, it
isn't hard and there is plenty of stuff to give no matter a users level of
experience.

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal@kubuntu.org

Old 07-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Wulfy

Christian A. Reiter wrote:
> I just read and commented this Brainstorm idea:
> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/11671/
>
> And maybe Kubuntu should consider not making the same thing again KDE did with
> 4.0 - There should definitely be anything like "test it, try it, but it is
> NOT recommended for daily use in Kubuntu." at
> http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1
>
> Like "Auzy" said in the idea, www.kubuntu.org is for new users as well, and if
> they see "KDE 4.1 Released" in big letters on the homepage they want to
> install it.
>
> Christian

Does this mean that Kubuntu Intrepid will be "for testers only"? After
all, the Ibex will be based on KDE 4.1...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo: