Old 07-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Scott Kitterman

Default New KDE3 Apps for Intrepid

Should we allow them?

I'm thinking no.

Scott K

Old 07-28-2008, 12:05 AM
"Al Twohill"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:07 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> Should we allow them?
>
> I'm thinking no.
>
> Scott K

Agreed. To me the mixing of KDE3 and KDE4 is just as messy as KDE and
GNOME mixed - worse even, as they often have very similar icons (KDE4
just adds extra shine and snazziness). This will be very confusing to
new users ("what's the difference between Kapp and Kapp (KDE3)?...
Nothing? Then why is it there?"). IMHO if we do include them, they
should be in a separated area of the K-Menu.

Al

The project has begun...

Old 07-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Ryan Kavanagh

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 01:07:40PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Should we allow them?
>
> I'm thinking no.

Assuming it was decided to to accept any new KDE3 apps in Intrepid, Intrepid+1,
etc., wouldn't new KDE3 apps in Debian still get synced automatically into
Kubuntu, unless Debian adopted a similar policy?

--
Ryan Kavanagh (ryanakca)
Get my public key: http://blog.ryanak.ca/E95EDDC9.gpg

Old 07-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:16:56 -0400 Ryan Kavanagh <ryanakca@kubuntu.org>
wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 01:07:40PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> Should we allow them?
>>
>> I'm thinking no.
>
>Assuming it was decided to to accept any new KDE3 apps in Intrepid,
Intrepid+1,
>etc., wouldn't new KDE3 apps in Debian still get synced automatically into
>Kubuntu, unless Debian adopted a similar policy?

Yes. We can't avoid that, but in our own efforts we really ought to focus
on KDE4 stuff.

Now that Debian has frozen for Lenny, any new packages there will be for
Lenny + 1, so hopfully they will have a similar view.

Scott K

Old 07-28-2008, 02:15 AM
Celeste Lyn Paul

On Sunday 27 July 2008 20:43:16 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:16:56 -0400 Ryan Kavanagh <ryanakca@kubuntu.org>
>
> wrote:
> >On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 01:07:40PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> >> Should we allow them?
> >>
> >> I'm thinking no.
> >
> >Assuming it was decided to to accept any new KDE3 apps in Intrepid,
>
> Intrepid+1,
>
> >etc., wouldn't new KDE3 apps in Debian still get synced automatically into
> >Kubuntu, unless Debian adopted a similar policy?
>
> Yes. We can't avoid that, but in our own efforts we really ought to focus
> on KDE4 stuff.
>
> Now that Debian has frozen for Lenny, any new packages there will be for
> Lenny + 1, so hopfully they will have a similar view.
>
> Scott K

Do you have examples of KDE3 applications that made you think of this? If
there is no KDE4 version under development, shouldn't we consider it?

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
celeste@kde.org

Old 07-28-2008, 02:58 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Sunday 27 July 2008 22:15, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> On Sunday 27 July 2008 20:43:16 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:16:56 -0400 Ryan Kavanagh <ryanakca@kubuntu.org>
> >
> > wrote:

> > >Assuming it was decided to to accept any new KDE3 apps in Intrepid,
> >
> > Intrepid+1,
> >
> > >etc., wouldn't new KDE3 apps in Debian still get synced automatically
> > > into Kubuntu, unless Debian adopted a similar policy?
> >
> > Yes. We can't avoid that, but in our own efforts we really ought to
> > focus on KDE4 stuff.
> >
> > Now that Debian has frozen for Lenny, any new packages there will be for
> > Lenny + 1, so hopfully they will have a similar view.
> >
> > Scott K
>
> Do you have examples of KDE3 applications that made you think of this? If
> there is no KDE4 version under development, shouldn't we consider it?

http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/details.py?package=subtitlecomposer

is what brought up the question. I have no idea if there is a KDE4 equivalent
or not.

Scott K

Old 07-28-2008, 06:12 AM
Sven Boden

> From: ubuntu@kitterman.com
> To: kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: New KDE3 Apps for Intrepid
> Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:58:36 -0400
>
> On Sunday 27 July 2008 22:15, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> > On Sunday 27 July 2008 20:43:16 Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > > Intrepid+1,

> > > Yes. We can't avoid that, but in our own efforts we really ought to
> > > focus on KDE4 stuff.
> > >
> > > Now that Debian has frozen for Lenny, any new packages there will be for
> > > Lenny + 1, so hopfully they will have a similar view.
> > >
> > > Scott K
> >
> > Do you have examples of KDE3 applications that made you think of this? If
> > there is no KDE4 version under development, shouldn't we consider it?
>
> http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/details.py?package=subtitlecomposer
>
> is what brought up the question. I have no idea if there is a KDE4 equivalent
> or not.
>
> Scott K

In particular for this one, I would reject the upload, subtitlecomposer 0.5 was converted to KDE4 so even the same application exists as KDE4 app.

In general if no KDE4 version is available (or is still under development, not GA) I would still allow KDE3 apps, no reason to be that "purist" for Intrepid. I would be more purist for Intrepid+1.

Regards,
Sven

Start een boeiend online leven...helemaal gratis! Windows Live

Old 08-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Maxim Levitsky

Sven Boden wrote:

> > From: ubuntu@kitterman.com
> > To: kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
> > Subject: Re: New KDE3 Apps for Intrepid
> > Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:58:36 -0400

> <ryanakca@kubuntu.org>

> automatically

> be for

> > > Do you have examples of KDE3 applications that made you think of
> this? If
> > > there is no KDE4 version under development, shouldn't we consider it?
> >
> > http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/details.py?package=subtitlecomposer
> >
> > is what brought up the question. I have no idea if there is a KDE4
> equivalent
> > or not.
> >
> > Scott K
> >
> > --
>
> In particular for this one, I would reject the upload, subtitlecomposer
> 0.5 was converted to KDE4 so even the same application exists as KDE4 app.
>
> In general if no KDE4 version is available (or is still under
> development, not GA) I would still allow KDE3 apps, no reason to be that
> "purist" for Intrepid. I would be more purist for Intrepid+1.
>
> Regards,
> Sven

> Start een boeiend online leven...helemaal gratis! Windows Live
> <http://get.live.com>

kscope is such application.
even worse it needs kate to work, and thus
interpid's kscope is broken now.

But I really need that tool, it is just great.

Regards,
Maxim Levitsky

Old 08-04-2008, 01:01 AM
"Yuriy Kozlov"

> kscope is such application.
> even worse it needs kate to work, and thus
> interpid's kscope is broken now.
>
> But I really need that tool, it is just great.
>

> Regards,
> Maxim Levitsky

Please file bugs for any applications available in Intrepid that no
longer work because of something they need from KDE3 not being
available anymore. In case there is a significant number of them,
please tag them needs-kde3.
~ Yuriy