Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 PM
"Jonathan Jesse"

Default question on memory w/ KDE 4

Good evening,

I am working on perhaps switching back to Kubuntu and KDE 4 for my work laptop but have run into several problems.* I have a Dell Latitude D830 with 4 Gigs of RAM.* Under Vista 32 bit I get 3.6 Gigs of RAM available and according to free with Kubuntu 32 bit edition I only get 3.2 Gigs of RAM.* As I use Virtual Machines a ton for demos and learning new software, etc... this is a small problem, need as much memory as possible.

However this is not the biggest problem.* With VMWare Workstation 6 in Vista I can run 3 machines before I slow things down.* One Kubuntu VM taking up 1 GIG of RAM, 1 Windows 2003 Server VM taking up a GIG of RAM and one Ubuntu server taking up 512 MB of RAm.* Vista still performs without problems, I can still use other programs, Firefox, Outlook, Excel, and others, I notice some slow down but not much.*

Runing Kubuntu 8.04 Remix (KDE 4) I can barely get 2 VMs running with 1 GIG of RAM a peice.* I see a ton of swaping and using my swap memory more.* Two 1 GIG RAM VMs make the system to the point it is almost unusable.* Is KDE4 more resource intensive?* Am I seeing something special/goofy with my laptop?* KDE 4 seems to be a huge memory hog.

The other problem I kept having was my VM's were crashing with memory errors.* If I wanted a stable VM and a usuable machine I had to run them at 384 MB a piece which is silly when running two Windows servers.

Based on this I am going to stay with my Vista laptop for work.

Disappointed,

Jonathan

Old 07-06-2008, 02:09 PM
"Antonio Augusto (Mancha)"

Hello,

Have you tried using Ubuntu with KDE3 or even with Gnome to see if you
get this same behavior? How much memory does the system consumes when
it startted? You can't blame KDE4 for being a memory hog if you
haven't tried other approaches.

One thing i know for sure is that, in Ubuntu, VMWare DOES behaves
weirdly slow out-of-the-box (at least for me).
I've found some tips around the net that helped me get a lot more of Vmware.
Try using then and post the results back:

You can tune the EXT3 partition where your VMs are to get some more
performance of your disk:
tune2fs -O has_journal -o journal_data_writeback /dev/hda1
tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/hda1
e2fsck -D /dev/hda1
Put these in /etc/fstab: ",noatime,nodiratime"

More tips here: http://en.opensuse.org/Speeding_up_Ext3

Some changes you might want to do in /etc/vmware/config
prefvmx.minVmMemPct = "100"
mainMem.useNamedFile = "false"
mainMem.partialLazySave = "FALSE"
mainMem.partialLazyRestore = "FALSE"
MemTrimRate=0
sched.mem.pshare.enable = "FALSE"
prefvmx.useRecommendedLockedMemSize = "TRUE"

More tips and explanations of a lot options here:
http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-config-ini.html

Also, MAYBE you have some process running on Ubuntu that is doing a
lot of disk access.
Try monitoring it with pidstat -d 3 30, and see how is the culprid.

If you still have issues after that try reporting back to see if we can help.
Another good place to look for problems with VMware is the official
vmware forums (http://www.vmware.com/communities/).

Chers,
KM

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I am working on perhaps switching back to Kubuntu and KDE 4 for my work
> laptop but have run into several problems. I have a Dell Latitude D830 with
> 4 Gigs of RAM. Under Vista 32 bit I get 3.6 Gigs of RAM available and
> according to free with Kubuntu 32 bit edition I only get 3.2 Gigs of RAM.
> As I use Virtual Machines a ton for demos and learning new software, etc...
> this is a small problem, need as much memory as possible.
>
> However this is not the biggest problem. With VMWare Workstation 6 in Vista
> I can run 3 machines before I slow things down. One Kubuntu VM taking up 1
> GIG of RAM, 1 Windows 2003 Server VM taking up a GIG of RAM and one Ubuntu
> server taking up 512 MB of RAm. Vista still performs without problems, I
> can still use other programs, Firefox, Outlook, Excel, and others, I notice
> some slow down but not much.
> Runing Kubuntu 8.04 Remix (KDE 4) I can barely get 2 VMs running with 1 GIG
> of RAM a peice. I see a ton of swaping and using my swap memory more. Two
> 1 GIG RAM VMs make the system to the point it is almost unusable. Is KDE4
> more resource intensive? Am I seeing something special/goofy with my
> laptop? KDE 4 seems to be a huge memory hog.
>
> The other problem I kept having was my VM's were crashing with memory
> errors. If I wanted a stable VM and a usuable machine I had to run them at
> 384 MB a piece which is silly when running two Windows servers.
>
> Based on this I am going to stay with my Vista laptop for work.
>
> Disappointed,
>
> Jonathan

Informação & Segurança - Informações para sua segurança na rede.
http://info-seg.blogspot.com

Old 07-06-2008, 08:46 PM
"Jonathan Jesse"

> [...]

> can still use other programs, Firefox, Outlook, Excel, and others, I notice

> some slow down but not much.

> Runing Kubuntu 8.04 Remix (KDE 4) I can barely get 2 VMs running with 1 GIG

> of RAM a peice. *I see a ton of swaping and using my swap memory more. *Two

> 1 GIG RAM VMs make the system to the point it is almost unusable. *Is KDE4

> more resource intensive? *Am I seeing something special/goofy with my

> laptop? *KDE 4 seems to be a huge memory hog.

> The other problem I kept having was my VM's were crashing with memory

> errors. *If I wanted a stable VM and a usuable machine I had to run them at

> 384 MB a piece which is silly when running two Windows servers.

> Based on this I am going to stay with my Vista laptop for work.

> Disappointed,

> Jonathan

Informação & Segurança - Informações para sua segurança na rede.

Good afternoon,

The last time I ran VMWare with this laptop was under KDE 3 and Gutsy and was able to run multiple 1 GIG VMs without a problem.* The install was a fresh install of Kubuntu 8.04 Remix with nothing other then the packages needed to install VMWare Workstation and get it to install.* Since I have wiped Kubuntu and gone back to a more stable version of Vista, I cannot tell exactly what processes were running other then what I would consider "normal" processes.

The question still stands:* Does KDE4 consume more resources then KDE3?

I know I can tweak a lot things based on the links you provided, but I don't have the time to spend trying scripts and other changes, when it works fresh out the box with Vista.**

Note I really enjoy KDE4, I use it through VMWare full time on my work machine, but just can't deal with VM's crashing and being unstable under Kubuntu.

Jonathan

Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Jano

Jonathan Jesse wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > Disappointed,
>> >
>> > Jonathan
>> >
>> > --
>> >

>> --
>> Informação & Segurança - Informações para sua segurança na rede.
>> http://info-seg.blogspot.com
>>
>> --
>>
> Good afternoon,
>
> The last time I ran VMWare with this laptop was under KDE 3 and Gutsy and
> was able to run multiple 1 GIG VMs without a problem. The install was a
> fresh install of Kubuntu 8.04 Remix with nothing other then the packages
> needed to install VMWare Workstation and get it to install. Since I have
> wiped Kubuntu and gone back to a more stable version of Vista, I cannot tell
> exactly what processes were running other then what I would consider
> "normal" processes.
>
> The question still stands: Does KDE4 consume more resources then KDE3?

My few experiences are that KDE4 feels sluggish in the same computer when
compared to KDE3. This is with an old intel integrated graphic card. I'm not
sure if KDE4 without the eye candy should be as fast as KDE3. KDE4 inside
virtual machines has always been also too slow to feel comfortable, whereas I
regularly use virtualized KDE3 at my parents' WinXP.

This has been with the versions shipped with kubuntu 8.04 and suse live CDs.

As you can see, nothing of this is memory related, although if there were
larger consumption of memory it could perhaps give these symptoms. I, however,
attributed it to the lack of graphics acceleration in this machine.

I would be interested in knowing if I can expect the same responsiveness from a
KDE4 within a virtual machine with no graphics acceleration. I'd say that,
after removing animations, yes, it should be as fast as KDE3, but if someone
who knows can confirm for sure...

Old 07-12-2008, 01:20 AM
"Yuriy Kozlov"

I think I may have some of the problems you are seeing as well. On my
desktop (2GHz dual athlon64, 2GB ram) with Hardy KDE4 things generally
feel sluggish, especially after running for a while (I keep my desktop
X session up for 1-6 weeks at a time). It's always been like that,
but seems a bit worse sometimes with Hardy/KDE4. Processes
(particularly konqueror windows, which sometimes take up to a minute
to react after being untouched for a while) seem to get swapped out
for no apparent reason (I have 2GB of ram, no VMs or anything).
Reducing swappiness hasn't helped.

From watching top, I've noticed 3 primary culprits: plasma, firefox,
and Xorg. Both plasma and firefox seem to be slowly leaking memory,
and recently I've started restarting them every couple of days and
things have gotten a lot better. I don't know what's going on with
Xorg, I don't know if it's just showing shared memory usage and other
apps are the problem.

On my laptop (1.66GHz core duo, also 2GB ram) I have no such problems,
everything is snappy. But I don't keep it up for more than a few
hours at a time.

I've been meaning to install KDE 4.1 on my desktop to see if things
have improved at all, at least with plasma.

It's really unfortunate that you went back to Vista rather than trying
Kubuntu/KDE3 or Ubuntu, at least to test.

~ Yuriy