Old 06-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Jonathan Riddell

Default Kubuntu Tutorials Day

Join us on Sunday on IRC for these tutorials.

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuTutorialsDay

Jonathan

Old 06-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Jonathan Riddell

Old 06-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Cary Bielenberg

Not wanting to be sarcastic but what good is tutorials if you don't have
or haven't had a working KDE(4) for 3 weeks? For the 1st time in my
testing Kubuntu (since Hoary)I'm using Gnome :-[

Cary

Old 06-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 10 June 2008, Cary Bielenberg wrote:
> Not wanting to be sarcastic but what good is tutorials if you don't have
> or haven't had a working KDE(4) for 3 weeks? For the 1st time in my
> testing Kubuntu (since Hoary)I'm using Gnome :-[

Sounds to me like you made a decision to use KDE4 and don't like it (or it
doesn't work for you)

I tried it, didn't like it, and switched back to KDE3. I'm not going to moan
about it. That's what linux is all about - - - choices.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:51 PM
"Willy Hamra"

exactly, choices! i tried KDE4 back in gutsy, didnt like it, went to back to KDE3, tried compiz, got weirdities, removed it, tried half a dozen messengers, still not satisfied wih any :P
looking forward to sunday

2008/6/11 Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com>:

On Tuesday 10 June 2008, Cary Bielenberg wrote:

> Not wanting to be sarcastic but what good is tutorials if you don't have

> or haven't had a working KDE(4) for 3 weeks? For the 1st time in my

> testing Kubuntu (since Hoary)I'm using Gnome :-[

Sounds to me like you made a decision to use KDE4 and don't like it (or it

doesn't work for you)

I tried it, didn't like it, and switched back to KDE3. * I'm not going to moan

about it. *That's what linux is all about - - - choices.

Fred Allen *- "Imitation is the sincerest form of television."

Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Cary Bielenberg

My gripe is the fact it was working well for months then was broken
& no attempt has been made to fix it! & for the record KDE3 was
removed last week on Intrepid for me & now is un-installable. My
preference is KDE any day but it's hard to test when it doesn't work
(which I have no problems with) but it's the length of time to get it
back up & running I'm talking about! I guess I'm harping about the
resources made available to Kubuntu is more my issue. To say it's a KDE
thing is bunkum when Debian & others don't have the ongoing
dependency problems being experienced by Kubuntu Intrepid at present.

I don't want to appear to be a winger who wants to race back to Windows
etc (I'm vomiting at that thought at the moment) but within the 6
months testing cycle we loose 3 to 4 weeks before UDS then feature
freezes etc by the time we analyse the real testing time it isn't that
much & a 3 week lost window added to that really cuts into testing
time to deliver a polished product.

2c Cary

Old 06-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Jonathan Riddell

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 08:29:20AM +1000, Cary Bielenberg wrote:

> My gripe is the fact it was working well for months then was broken &
> no attempt has been made to fix it! & for the record KDE3 was removed
> last week on Intrepid for me & now is un-installable.

If you're talking about intrepid, there's plenty of ongoing work to
make sure KDE 4 works well. The main modules should install OK now
but I wouldn't advise people to upgrade to intrepid before even an
alpha is out. It is blocked by main inclusion requests which while
frustrating is entirely expected. Packages are available for hardy so
non-developers would be best to stick to those for now.

Jonathan

Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Cary Bielenberg

Bugger! If had known that I would have stuck to Hardy for a while! In
the 3 & a bit years I have been testing I have never waited &
been the 1st cab off the block & not experienced the magnitude of
problems.

Cary

Old 06-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Scott

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> I tried it, didn't like it, and switched back to KDE3. I'm not going to moan
> about it. That's what linux is all about - - - choices.
Same here I'm planning on trying KDE4 again when 8.10 comes out. I also
tried compiz for a while then got board of it .

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 8.04

Old 06-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Derek Broughton

Cary Bielenberg wrote:

> Not wanting to be sarcastic but what good is tutorials if you don't have
> or haven't had a working KDE(4) for 3 weeks? For the 1st time in my
> testing Kubuntu (since Hoary)I'm using Gnome :-[

What good is "testing kubuntu", with Gnome. There's no such thing as
Kubuntu with Gnome - you're just testing Ubuntu.

As for KDE, it works just fine if you use the default one you got with the
upgrade. KDE4 is a joke.
--
derek