FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Gobuntu Developer

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 PM
 
Default Gobuntu Future / Free software discussion

Good afternoon. I have been reading some recent posts regarding Gobuntu, gNewsense, Free software and related items.
1. I am not a programmer but can compile and trouble shoot some compilation errors and am willing to test Gobuntu on my various systems, both Intel and AMD, 32 and 64 bit systems.
2. I noticed that there is not a live cd for Gobuntu. Give me some direction as to the tools needed to make one and I will do it. If there is a 64 bit version, I will work toward that too.
3.Free software is not necessarily free in terms of restraint and source. I have seen enough misunderstandings and hard feelings to choke a small country. This is one of the items that hurts open source communities. Maybe some public clarity of what exactly free means and that does not mean the same old beer thing.
4.In regard to the remark made about giving someone a talking too in a manner other than accepting a persons individuality is inconsistent in regard to wanting acceptance from the world for open source. Give what you expect. It is acceptable to not support non free software or related issues but by the same token, offer a resolve in the form of a real and working alternative driver or software.
Just my opinion,
Leo


--
Gobuntu-devel mailing list
Gobuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/gobuntu-devel
 
Old 05-28-2008, 11:54 PM
"Cyrus Jones"
 
Default Gobuntu Future / Free software discussion

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 3:58 PM, <i.t.guru@comcast.net> wrote:
> 2. I noticed that there is not a live cd for Gobuntu. Give me some direction as to the tools needed to make one and I will do it. If there is a 64 bit version, I will work toward that too.

You might want to take a look at
http://www.gnewsense.org/LiveCD/LiveCD which writes how gNewSense
makes their live CD, which is in turn based off Debian Live.

"Our script to build the LiveCD is based off the Debian Live project.
Initially we hoped to work off Ubuntu's scripts but all we could find
were ways to alter and existing LiveCD, rather than generate one from
scratch."

"Essentially we do a cdebootstrap, install all the packages we need,
create a squashfs, setup syslinux and make an ISO."

Their build script:
http://svn.gnewsense.svnhopper.net/filedetails.php?repname=gNewSense&path=%2Fbuilder% 2Ftrunk%2Fgen-livecd

I am not sure how well this would work for Gobuntu, but it is worth looking at.

--
Gobuntu-devel mailing list
Gobuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/gobuntu-devel
 
Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Toni Ruottu
 
Default Gobuntu Future / Free software discussion

 hello

Is there something non-free about the Ubuntu live-cd stuff or even WUBI?
I suppose Gobuntu should follow Ubuntu ways as close as possible. Iirc a
Gobuntu live-cd does not exist, because Gobuntu was originally targeted
towards computer experts. Someone who wants to be Gobuntu live-cd
maintainer should find out who is working with Ubuntu live-cd and
contact them directly. Ofcourse the readers of this list could help him
in that task. Does anyone know who maintain the Ubuntu live-cd?

--Toni


On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 19:54 -0400, Cyrus Jones wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 3:58 PM, <i.t.guru@comcast.net> wrote:
> > 2. I noticed that there is not a live cd for Gobuntu. Give me some direction as to the tools needed to make one and I will do it. If there is a 64 bit version, I will work toward that too.
>
> You might want to take a look at
> http://www.gnewsense.org/LiveCD/LiveCD which writes how gNewSense
> makes their live CD, which is in turn based off Debian Live.
>
> "Our script to build the LiveCD is based off the Debian Live project.
> Initially we hoped to work off Ubuntu's scripts but all we could find
> were ways to alter and existing LiveCD, rather than generate one from
> scratch."
>
> "Essentially we do a cdebootstrap, install all the packages we need,
> create a squashfs, setup syslinux and make an ISO."
>
> Their build script:
> http://svn.gnewsense.svnhopper.net/filedetails.php?repname=gNewSense&path=%2Fbuilder% 2Ftrunk%2Fgen-livecd
>
> I am not sure how well this would work for Gobuntu, but it is worth looking at.
>


--
Gobuntu-devel mailing list
Gobuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/gobuntu-devel
 
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM
"Timo Jyrinki"
 
Default Gobuntu Future / Free software discussion

2008/5/29 Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu@iki.fi>:
> Is there something non-free about the Ubuntu live-cd stuff or even WUBI?

Dunno, I suppose not. I'd guess it's just a question of resources -
there's no live/desktop-cd of Ubuntu Studio or Mythbuntu either, only
alternate. The graphical installer would need some special care
taking.

-Timo

--
Gobuntu-devel mailing list
Gobuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/gobuntu-devel
 
Old 05-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Matthew Flaschen
 
Default Gobuntu Future / Free software discussion

Toni Ruottu wrote:
> hello
>
> Is there something non-free about the Ubuntu live-cd stuff or even WUBI?
> I suppose Gobuntu should follow Ubuntu ways as close as possible.

There's nothing wrong with generating the LiveCD the Ubuntu way, but no
one seems to know how that's done. In contrast, the gNewSense method
for this seems to be better documented.

> Iirc a Gobuntu live-cd does not exist, because Gobuntu was originally targeted
> towards computer experts.

When was that stated?

Matt Flaschen

--
Gobuntu-devel mailing list
Gobuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/gobuntu-devel
 
Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 PM
"Cyrus Jones"
 
Default Gobuntu Future / Free software discussion

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 3:43 AM, Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu@iki.fi> wrote:
> Iirc a
> Gobuntu live-cd does not exist, because Gobuntu was originally targeted
> towards computer experts.

Even if this is indeed the case, I believe a Gobuntu live CD is a high
priority. I'm sure many people wish to check if their hardware works
with Gobuntu's free drivers, etc.

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd guess it's just a question of resources -
> there's no live/desktop-cd of Ubuntu Studio or Mythbuntu either, only
> alternate. The graphical installer would need some special care
> taking.

I'm not saying Ubuntu Studio doesn't deserve a live CD either, but
Gobuntu has more special requirements as its supported hardware is
less than Ubuntu's. I understand what you mean though, Gobuntu doesn't
have enough support. Then again, I bet Gobuntu would get more support
and community involvement if it did have a live CD.

--
Gobuntu-devel mailing list
Gobuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/gobuntu-devel
 
Old 06-03-2008, 06:14 AM
 
Default Gobuntu Future / Free software discussion

>
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd guess it's just a question of resources -
> > there's no live/desktop-cd of Ubuntu Studio or Mythbuntu either, only
> > alternate. The graphical installer would need some special care
> > taking.
>
> I'm not saying Ubuntu Studio doesn't deserve a live CD either, but
> Gobuntu has more special requirements as its supported hardware is
> less than Ubuntu's. I understand what you mean though, Gobuntu doesn't
> have enough support. Then again, I bet Gobuntu would get more support
> and community involvement if it did have a live CD.
>

First, i haven't been following the development of gobuntu lately, so this
might be full of BS, but... I don't see that the support of Gobuntu at this
phase would grow as much with a live CD when the actual target group prolly
prefers the alternative installer (at least I find it way better).

Bigg{er,est}? issue is the fact that Gobuntu doesn't have it's own package
repositories (this has been discussed i know, sorry for not doing my
background work). For me example, it's almost the same if i install ubuntu
and remove the crap i don't want or install Gobuntu. The life cycle will be
the same from that point on.

Personally, i believe Gobuntu should be _the base_ of all *buntu and then
modify the variants from that, when you actually have a free, stable and well
maintained (at that point at least) platform. But i guess we won't be seeing
that.

- hena



--
Gobuntu-devel mailing list
Gobuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/gobuntu-devel
 
Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Colin Watson
 
Default Gobuntu Future / Free software discussion

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 05:00:20PM +0200, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Toni Ruottu wrote:
> > Is there something non-free about the Ubuntu live-cd stuff or even WUBI?
> > I suppose Gobuntu should follow Ubuntu ways as close as possible.
>
> There's nothing wrong with generating the LiveCD the Ubuntu way, but no
> one seems to know how that's done.

The live filesystem is generated using the livecd-rootfs package in
Ubuntu. This is assembled into an .iso image using the CD image scripts
here:

http://people.ubuntu.com/~cjwatson/bzr/cdimage/mainline/

(You also need to check out the bits referred to in configs/devel.)

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

--
Gobuntu-devel mailing list
Gobuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/gobuntu-devel
 
Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Karl Goetz
 
Default Gobuntu Future / Free software discussion

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 10:49 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 05:00:20PM +0200, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> > Toni Ruottu wrote:
> > > Is there something non-free about the Ubuntu live-cd stuff or even WUBI?
> > > I suppose Gobuntu should follow Ubuntu ways as close as possible.
> >
> > There's nothing wrong with generating the LiveCD the Ubuntu way, but no
> > one seems to know how that's done.
>
> The live filesystem is generated using the livecd-rootfs package in
> Ubuntu. This is assembled into an .iso image using the CD image scripts
> here:
>
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~cjwatson/bzr/cdimage/mainline/

Is this the same set of scripts used for the 'alternate' cd? they can
handle both live+debian-installer based?
kk

>
> (You also need to check out the bits referred to in configs/devel.)
>
> --
> Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]
>
--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
--
Gobuntu-devel mailing list
Gobuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/gobuntu-devel
 
Old 06-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Colin Watson
 
Default Gobuntu Future / Free software discussion

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 08:19:04PM +0930, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 10:49 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 05:00:20PM +0200, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> > > There's nothing wrong with generating the LiveCD the Ubuntu way, but no
> > > one seems to know how that's done.
> >
> > The live filesystem is generated using the livecd-rootfs package in
> > Ubuntu. This is assembled into an .iso image using the CD image scripts
> > here:
> >
> > http://people.ubuntu.com/~cjwatson/bzr/cdimage/mainline/
>
> Is this the same set of scripts used for the 'alternate' cd? they can
> handle both live+debian-installer based?

Yes.

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

--
Gobuntu-devel mailing list
Gobuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/gobuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:40 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org