Old 05-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Default Gobuntu vs gNewSense

Cyrus Jones wrote:
> Not necessarily. I'm sure there are people (possibly myself included)
> who want to use only free software and the latest and greatest of what
> free software has to offer.

This certainly applies to me, and thus I had hoped there would be a
Gobuntu version of every Ubuntu release. That would have been a
compelling version to support Gobuntu, but has yet to come to fruition.

> I suppose so. Maybe Gobuntu and gNewSense could merge (as difficult as
> that may be) or at least more collaboration occur. Ubuntu would move
> packages to multiverse/restricted as necessary or create universe and
> multiverse versions of packages so that gNewSense would not have to
> modify Ubuntu packages anymore.

This has been suggested repeatedly, and Ubuntu has been reluctant to act
on it.

Matt Flaschen

Old 05-29-2008, 04:07 PM
"Dave Crossland"

2008/5/29 Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu>:
> Cyrus Jones wrote:
>> Not necessarily. I'm sure there are people (possibly myself included)
>> who want to use only free software and the latest and greatest of what
>> free software has to offer.
>
> This certainly applies to me,

Yes - these are totally separate issues :-)

Dave

Old 05-29-2008, 09:58 PM
"Cyrus Jones"

Maybe we can ask gNewSense if they wish to share a mailing list with
Gobuntu. Hopefully it wouldn't get too noisy in the mailing list, but
this could allow Gobuntu and gNewSense discussions to be less
one-sided. It would allow more transparency and responses from
gNewSense project. Just my two cents.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:50 PM
"Karl Goetz"

On Fri, May 30, 2008 07:28, Cyrus Jones wrote:
> Maybe we can ask gNewSense if they wish to share a mailing list with
> Gobuntu. Hopefully it wouldn't get too noisy in the mailing list, but

There is gNewSense people on this list - theres been a reasonable number
of posts from them too.

Until the last UDS (where it was decided the list should shut down), there
was an ubuntu-derivatives list. ( The IRC channel remains ).

> this could allow Gobuntu and gNewSense discussions to be less
> one-sided. It would allow more transparency and responses from
> gNewSense project. Just my two cents.

I would say the goal of gNewSense is different to that of Gobuntu, which
is probably the main reason i tend /not/ to post here.
Why is that a reason not to post?
Because as noted by someone else (Mathew?) in the last day or so on this
list, getting things to change in Ubuntu to make freedom focused
downstreams lives easier... isnt always easy. From bugs that ubuntu feel
arn't important, or dont affect freedom, to bugs which ubuntu doesnt have
the manpower or inclination to fix.

gNewSense doesnt have enough manpower (realistically, imho) to be pushing
fixes back to ubuntu. It has trouble getting things rebuilt for itself at
times ...
kk

--
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
From Webmail

Old 06-02-2008, 07:41 AM
"Matthew East"

Hi,

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> wrote:
> Cyrus Jones wrote:
>> I suppose so. Maybe Gobuntu and gNewSense could merge (as difficult as
>> that may be) or at least more collaboration occur. Ubuntu would move
>> packages to multiverse/restricted as necessary or create universe and
>> multiverse versions of packages so that gNewSense would not have to
>> modify Ubuntu packages anymore.
>
> This has been suggested repeatedly, and Ubuntu has been reluctant to act
> on it.

Assuming you're referring to the second sentence of Cyrus' quote, I
don't think it is true to say that Ubuntu has been reluctant to act on
it. Any packages which are in main or universe and which shouldn't be
should be reported: that's an essential part of Ubuntu's philosophy:
main and universe should contain free software.

Obviously, any particular derivative might wish to take a more
restrictive definition of what is free than that which Ubuntu uses for
its main and universe components, that is its right; but it may have
to modify packages in order to achieve that.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org

Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 PM
"Matthew East"

Adding back the list.

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Carsten Agger <agger@c.dk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 08:41 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
>
>> Assuming you're referring to the second sentence of Cyrus' quote, I
>> don't think it is true to say that Ubuntu has been reluctant to act on
>> it. Any packages which are in main or universe and which shouldn't be
>> should be reported: that's an essential part of Ubuntu's philosophy:
>> main and universe should contain free software.
>>
>> Obviously, any particular derivative might wish to take a more
>> restrictive definition of what is free than that which Ubuntu uses for
>> its main and universe components, that is its right; but it may have
>> to modify packages in order to achieve that.
>>

> However, many of the packages from Ubuntu main removed in gNewSense are
> non-free even in a not very strict sense: GLX support in the X server,
> various drivers containing explicitly non-free firmware. But I believe
> in many cases it's a question of manpower and priorities rather than
> disagreement as to what should be done; as Cyrus wrote earlier, it could
> be necessry to make separate main and restricted versions of some
> packages (like the X server, and the kernel modules) and Ubuntu may
> simply not have the manpower to do this right now, while it's essential
> to gNewSense.

Obviously the question of whether there is enough manpower to address
a particular issue depends on the particular case, and I don't know
about this example, but in principle as far as I know there is no
reason why this sort of issue shouldn't be fixed in Ubuntu. That is
exactly the sort of way that gNewSense can collaborate with Ubuntu -
by filing bugs about a particular issue like that and if possible
including patches, solutions or specifications.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org