-   Gobuntu Developer (http://www.linux-archive.org/gobuntu-developer/)
-   -   Gobuntu 8.04 - what to do? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gobuntu-developer/80102-gobuntu-8-04-what-do.html)

"Timo Jyrinki" 05-01-2008 05:17 PM

Gobuntu 8.04 - what to do?

Hi,

Just my two cents. Gobuntu hasn't lately seen much contributions, so
it's no wonder it's not really "in shape". That said, if people have
tested the latest daily 20080421 (I haven't, I just use regular Ubuntu
without restricted/multiverse), maybe it could be marked as 8.04
release?

Gobuntu is no Gnewsense, and in practice it is:
1. Ubuntu without restricted and multiverse enabled by default, and
part of the *buntu family having all the same stuff as others except
for differences in the installation program and default package
selection
: This is now achieved with normal Ubuntu by selecting "Free software
only" in the boot menu with F6.
:: Maybe this could _be_ the Gobuntu - with the addition of a similar
option in the GUI installer, too (in the Advanced dialog for example)
and future work on some other changes here and there (Add/Remove...,
Software Sources etc which still probably aren't perfect).

For 8.04, one option would be to not release Gobuntu 8.04 but specify
that it's now achieved by this Free software only selection. Some
decision should be done anyway, so as not to give a bad impression
(well, already given to some extent). The problem is, if there is no
community behind Gobuntu currently "running" it, there's no one who
would contact correct Canonical persons on the subject of doing
something about the subject and updating information on various pages.

2. Effort to keep main and universe clean of restricted stuff
: This is not only Gobuntu's goal, but a general one, and could be
handled also under different name like "repository cleanup".

-Timo

Colin Watson 06-18-2008 10:01 AM

Gobuntu 8.04 - what to do?

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 08:17:06PM +0300, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> Just my two cents. Gobuntu hasn't lately seen much contributions, so
> it's no wonder it's not really "in shape". That said, if people have
> tested the latest daily 20080421 (I haven't, I just use regular Ubuntu
> without restricted/multiverse), maybe it could be marked as 8.04
> release?

(Belatedly, thanks for your later work checking this out, and this has
now been done.)

> Gobuntu is no Gnewsense, and in practice it is:
> 1. Ubuntu without restricted and multiverse enabled by default, and
> part of the *buntu family having all the same stuff as others except
> for differences in the installation program and default package
> selection

Right.

> : This is now achieved with normal Ubuntu by selecting "Free software
> only" in the boot menu with F6.
> :: Maybe this could _be_ the Gobuntu - with the addition of a similar
> option in the GUI installer, too (in the Advanced dialog for example)

The GUI installer, as far as I can tell, doesn't need such a change
because it simply honours the same F6 boot menu option.

> 2. Effort to keep main and universe clean of restricted stuff
> : This is not only Gobuntu's goal, but a general one, and could be
> handled also under different name like "repository cleanup".

Indeed so.

One valuable job that could be done here would be a script that checks
the archive overrides (indices/override.*) for discrepancies between the
restricted/multiverse status of source and binary packages.

The rule here is that source packages in main or universe may, with care
and possibly by way of case-by-case exceptions rather than in general,
generate binary packages in restricted or multiverse (for example,
linux-meta is in main but generates some binary packages that depend on
other packages in restricted or multiverse and so are also in those
components), but the reverse is not allowed.

Unfortunately, while we have a script that checks whether packages
belong in the supported category of the archive (main and restricted) or
the unsupported category (universe and multiverse) against the seeds, we
have nothing that sanity-checks freeness status, and so it's possible
for packages to improperly drift, particularly when their status changes
in Debian. Automating this would help us.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]