-   Gobuntu Developer (http://www.linux-archive.org/gobuntu-developer/)
-   -   Gobunbtu 8.04? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gobuntu-developer/76097-gobunbtu-8-04-a.html)

"Robert Kosten" 04-25-2008 03:56 PM

Gobunbtu 8.04?

Any chance we'll get one?

Yours,
Robert Kosten

"Eric Padman" 04-27-2008 12:17 PM

Gobunbtu 8.04?

I'm getting concerned about this myself. I realise there has been a
lot of discussion about the future of Gobuntu lately and as far as I
know the Gobuntu-Hardy spec hasn't been fully completed, but the wiki
page for the spec states:
"Gobuntu 8.04 will be released alongside Ubuntu 8.04."
According to cdimage.ubuntu.com the last daily build was released on
the 21st of April. Could someone please post an update about what's
happening regarding the release.

"Robert Kosten" 05-01-2008 10:47 AM

Gobunbtu 8.04?

Well, I'd say this list is as dead as the proverbial ex-parrot and
apparently so is Gobuntu then :-(

Who should be contacted to remove the corresponding links from the
ubuntu homepage and edit the wiki pages?

A shame, really...

Yours,
Robert Kosten

"Robert Kosten" 05-01-2008 03:15 PM

Gobunbtu 8.04?

Given the utter lack of replies and announcements I can only conclude that either the PR department is really lacking or there is no 8.04 release to look forward to :-(

Oh well, gNewSense just released their "2.0 deltah"...

Jean-Luc Maillot 05-04-2008 03:22 PM

Gobunbtu 8.04?

Hello!

I'm not a develloper but I used to run gobuntu. I wanted to try gnewsense but it doesn't boot on my laptop (I tried a lot og arguments); it boots on my desktop but my ethernet card isn't seen (May be, I can resolved this with ndiswrapper?). So I switch my computers to Debian.

It was a true deception to see there was no gobuntu hardy. At the time, I thought I can run the new gnewsense. But it seems I can't.

Sorry, but I'm French speaking.

Jean-Luc

"Dave Crossland" 05-04-2008 03:36 PM

Gobunbtu 8.04?

2008/5/4 Jean-Luc Maillot <jean-luc.maillot@orange.fr>:

> I thought I can run the new gnewsense. But it seems I can't.

The goal of gNewSense is to not use any proprietary software, which
means that many hardware devices will not work. The point of Gobuntu
is the same, although it never reached that goal as far as I know.

If you post the exact error message you have with booting to the
gNewSense list, perhaps that community can help you :-)

Dave

Jean-Luc Maillot 05-04-2008 03:47 PM

Gobunbtu 8.04?

It's not important my laptop won't boot with gnewsense livecd (It doesn't load the kernel) because my laptop is amd64 and I prefer to run amd64 distribution.

It's the network probleme with my desktop that caused me to stop trying gnewsense.

Thank's

Jean-Luc

"Dave Crossland" 05-04-2008 03:55 PM

Gobunbtu 8.04?

2008/5/4 Jean-Luc Maillot <jean-luc.maillot@orange.fr>:
> It's not important my laptop won't boot with gnewsense livecd (It doesn't
> load the kernel) because my laptop is amd64 and I prefer to run amd64
> distribution.

Try a nightly build of Gobuntu then, and manually remove any
proprietary software you can find, then? :-)

> It's the network probleme with my desktop that caused me to stop trying
> gnewsense.

I hope you'll buy ethernet hardware that works with free software and
try gNewSense again :-)

Dave

Jean-Luc Maillot 05-04-2008 04:10 PM

Gobunbtu 8.04?

Try a nightly build of Gobuntu then, and manually remove any
proprietary software you can find, then? :-)

Nightly build of gobuntu?

I hope you'll buy ethernet hardware that works with free software and
try gNewSense again :-)

May be I'll try ndiswrapper with the Windows ethernet driver I download from Dell?

Jean-Luc

PS: For now my desktop run a beautifull Lenny/Sid Debian and my Laptop is in installation of the same distrib but with an AMD64 one.

I Tried the new Ubuntu on both after a network probleme due to my "Livebox" (Something "très chiant" due to ipv6 and DNS, I resoved yesturday).

"Dave Crossland" 05-04-2008 04:26 PM

Gobunbtu 8.04?

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/gobuntu/daily/current/

> May be I'll try ndiswrapper with the Windows ethernet driver I download from
> Dell?

If you work to run gNewSense, it makes no sense to do this?

Dave