Old 04-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Colin Watson

Default "Free software only" boot option

Hi,

I thought it might interest some readers of this list to know that
current Ubuntu CD images now have a "Free software only" checkbox on the
"Boot options" menu (select language and then press F6 twice). This
should make things easier for people who happen to have an Ubuntu CD to
hand and want to install a system without anything from the restricted
component.

As of last week, this actually works when installing from the desktop CD
too. While there are some packages from restricted in the live
filesystem, when you select this boot option they will be removed from
the target system after the bulk file copy has taken place. It turns out
that this wasn't as hard to do as I'd thought - a mere 13 lines of code!

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 04-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Markus Laire

Colin Watson wrote:
> I thought it might interest some readers of this list to know that
> current Ubuntu CD images now have a "Free software only" checkbox on the
> "Boot options" menu (select language and then press F6 twice).

Does that also use kernel which doesn't have any nonfree or
undistributable firmware?

Old 04-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Colin Watson

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 05:15:55PM +0300, Markus Laire wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >I thought it might interest some readers of this list to know that
> >current Ubuntu CD images now have a "Free software only" checkbox on the
> >"Boot options" menu (select language and then press F6 twice).
>
> Does that also use kernel which doesn't have any nonfree or
> undistributable firmware?

We don't have room for a cornucopia of kernels on Ubuntu CDs, so it's
the same kernel. However, linux-restricted-modules will not be installed
if you use this option.

(I expect of course that there will be disagreement about exactly what
constitutes "free" in the context of our kernel packages, particularly
where firmware is concerned, but I'm afraid I don't have time to get
into a discussion about that just at the moment.)

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 04-15-2008, 03:13 PM
"Chris Andrew"

Hi, all.

Having recently installed Hardy on a spare box, is it possible to
apply this Freedom choice to my /etc/apt/sources.list?

Cheers,

Chris.

On 15/04/2008, Colin Watson <cjwatson@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 05:15:55PM +0300, Markus Laire wrote:
> > Colin Watson wrote:
> > >I thought it might interest some readers of this list to know that
> > >current Ubuntu CD images now have a "Free software only" checkbox on the
> > >"Boot options" menu (select language and then press F6 twice).
> >
> > Does that also use kernel which doesn't have any nonfree or
> > undistributable firmware?
>

> We don't have room for a cornucopia of kernels on Ubuntu CDs, so it's
> the same kernel. However, linux-restricted-modules will not be installed
> if you use this option.
>
> (I expect of course that there will be disagreement about exactly what
> constitutes "free" in the context of our kernel packages, particularly
> where firmware is concerned, but I'm afraid I don't have time to get
> into a discussion about that just at the moment.)
>

> --
> Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Reasons why you may want to try GNU/Linux:

http://www.getgnulinux.org/

A great GNU/Linux distro:

http://wiki.gnewsense.org/

Old 04-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Colin Watson

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 04:13:25PM +0100, Chris Andrew wrote:
> Having recently installed Hardy on a spare box, is it possible to
> apply this Freedom choice to my /etc/apt/sources.list?

Sure - remove the 'restricted' and 'multiverse' components (and remove
any packages that become unavailable as a result).

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 04-15-2008, 05:11 PM
"Dave Crossland"

On 15/04/2008, Colin Watson <cjwatson@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I thought it might interest some readers of this list to know that
> current Ubuntu CD images now have a "Free software only" checkbox on the
> "Boot options" menu

AWESOME :-)

Thanks for the hard work on this :-)

Dave

Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Karl Goetz

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 15:06 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Hi,

Sorry Colin for dupes (sent to him directly by mistake the first time).

> I thought it might interest some readers of this list to know that
> current Ubuntu CD images now have a "Free software only" checkbox on the
> "Boot options" menu (select language and then press F6 twice). This
> should make things easier for people who happen to have an Ubuntu CD to
> hand and want to install a system without anything from the restricted
> component.

cool to hear

> As of last week, this actually works when installing from the desktop CD
> too. While there are some packages from restricted in the live
> filesystem, when you select this boot option they will be removed from
> the target system after the bulk file copy has taken place. It turns out
> that this wasn't as hard to do as I'd thought - a mere 13 lines of code!

Does that mean all images from this week will have the option? i might
go
and grab a daily...
kk

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor
http://www.kgoetz.id.au

Old 04-16-2008, 05:12 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Colin

Sorry for replying to old post, been on holiday in the middle east...

Colin Watson wrote:
> I thought it might interest some readers of this list to know that
> current Ubuntu CD images now have a "Free software only" checkbox on the
> "Boot options" menu (select language and then press F6 twice). This
> should make things easier for people who happen to have an Ubuntu CD to
> hand and want to install a system without anything from the restricted
> component.
>
> As of last week, this actually works when installing from the desktop CD
> too. While there are some packages from restricted in the live
> filesystem, when you select this boot option they will be removed from
> the target system after the bulk file copy has taken place. It turns out
> that this wasn't as hard to do as I'd thought - a mere 13 lines of code!

That is awesome! This means that anyone can have a completely free
system by just pressing two extra keys. What I don't understand is, why
even have a Gobuntu then? If Ubuntu has an option to install a target
system that will contain no proprietary code, is it really necessary to
have a duplicate build with just different branding?

-Jonathan

Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
"Dave Crossland"

On 16/04/2008, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jonathan@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> If Ubuntu has an option to install a target
> system that will contain no proprietary code, is it really necessary to
> have a duplicate build with just different branding?

The Ubuntu system invites users to install proprietary software once
it is installed, whereas Gobuntu wouldn't, I guess.

Dave

Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> Hi Colin
>
> Sorry for replying to old post, been on holiday in the middle east...
>
> Colin Watson wrote:
>> I thought it might interest some readers of this list to know that
>> current Ubuntu CD images now have a "Free software only" checkbox on the
>> "Boot options" menu (select language and then press F6 twice).

Of course, this is very good news.
> That is awesome! This means that anyone can have a completely free
> system by just pressing two extra keys. What I don't understand is, why
> even have a Gobuntu then?

Well, first of all, the Ubuntu CD still /contains/ (even if it's not
run) non-free software, which of course the Gobuntu CD is not supposed to.

Matt Flaschen