Old 04-28-2008, 12:11 AM
"Benj. Mako Hill"

Default Rethinking Gobuntu

<quote who="Dave Crossland" date="Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 05:04:15PM +0200">
> I'm glad to hear this discussion is useful for you :-)
>
> The FSF recently held a small private summit to discuss software
> freedom in the context of web apps, and I hoped that the event would
> be recorded/video'd and posted online, but am not sure if that
> did/will happen. Perhaps Mako can comment? :-)

Still in the process of writing things up -- I've been traveling like
crazy. I'll move this forward this week.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako@atdot.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far
as society is free to use the results. --GNU Manifesto

Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Markus Laire

Aaron Whitehouse wrote:
> On 16/04/2008, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> The "current and future" thread on this list has got me thinking. Perhaps
>> we really are on the wrong track, that the only way to meet the needs of the
>> gNewSense folks is to have completely different source packages to Ubuntu.
>
> While I can see the philosophical rationale behind making this point,
> the reality is that I personally download very little source code. For
> me, binary blobs in the source trees isn't a big issue as I do not
> download the "offending" code.

Those same binary blobs are also included in the binary packages, not
just in source trees.

(There might be some cases where the binary blobs are included only in
source trees, because Ubuntu includes full source, even pieces they
remove before compilation.)

> If I understand the issue correctly, people are complaining that the
> software is on their machines, uncompiled and not being executed.
> I find it difficult to see an ethical issue with this - does this mean
> that I don't have software freedom because I have an unused CD of
> proprietary software in my house? Please let me know if I have
> misunderstood the issue.

Speaking of sourceless firmware, the software is in compiled form, and
will get executed if you happen to have any hardware which requires it.

If you don't have any such hardware, then it would remain unexecuted.

(Personally I'm most concerned about *undistributable* code. These are
pieces of code whose license doesn't seem to give the right to
distribute. So, since Ubuntu includes such code, it's quite possible
that distributing Ubuntu is illegal.

I hope you see the ethical issue in breaking the copyright law by
distributing software for which you don't have the permission from the
copyright holder to distribute.)

--
Markus Laire