-   Gobuntu Developer (http://www.linux-archive.org/gobuntu-developer/)
-   -   hardy *depends* on non-free artwork? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gobuntu-developer/59650-hardy-depends-non-free-artwork.html)

Tim Dobson 03-22-2008 06:44 PM

hardy *depends* on non-free artwork?

Hi there.
I know vrms is a guide not a definitive tool but would anyone like to
take a look at this:

####

timmy@freedom-zero:~$ vrms
Non-free packages installed on freedom-zero

human-icon-theme Human Icon theme
tangerine-icon-theme Tangerine Icon theme
tango-icon-theme Tango Icon theme
Reason: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License

3 non-free packages, 0.2% of 1851 installed packages.

timmy@freedom-zero:~$ sudo aptitude remove human-icon-theme
tangerine-icon-theme tango-icon-theme --purge ;vrms
[sudo] password for timmy:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initialising package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
gobuntu-desktop human-theme tango-icon-theme-common
The following packages will be REMOVED:
human-icon-theme tangerine-icon-theme tango-icon-theme
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 18.1MB will be freed.
tango-icon-theme-common: Depends: tango-icon-theme but it is not
installable
human-theme: Depends: human-icon-theme but it is not installable
gobuntu-desktop: Depends: tangerine-icon-theme but it is not installable
Resolving dependencies...

Remove the following packages:
gobuntu-desktop
human-theme
tango-icon-theme-common
ubuntu-artwork

Score is 326

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

####

From what I can see gobuntu-desktop meta-package depends on the
non-free package tangerine-icon-theme.

Would someone like to fix this?

Tim

P.S. having just looked at the list I see a post about gobuntu artwork.
I imagine this ties in with that.

--
www.blog.tdobson.net
----

Karl Goetz 03-22-2008 10:52 PM

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 19:44 +0000, Tim Dobson wrote:
> Hi there.
> I know vrms is a guide not a definitive tool but would anyone like to
> take a look at this:
>
> ####
>
> timmy@freedom-zero:~$ vrms
> Non-free packages installed on freedom-zero
>
> human-icon-theme Human Icon theme
> tangerine-icon-theme Tangerine Icon theme
> tango-icon-theme Tango Icon theme
> Reason: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License
>
> 3 non-free packages, 0.2% of 1851 installed packages.

<snip>

> ####
>
> From what I can see gobuntu-desktop meta-package depends on the
> non-free package tangerine-icon-theme.

AIUI, the FSF consider CC-SA 2.5 to be free, but because its part of the
CC licences, wont support it.

Search down to "Creative commons" near the bottom.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

Debian have issues with CC licences in general, and i belive none are
DFSG free.

kk

> Would someone like to fix this?
>
> Tim
>
> P.S. having just looked at the list I see a post about gobuntu artwork.
> I imagine this ties in with that.

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor

"Dave Crossland" 03-23-2008 02:29 AM

On 22/03/2008, Karl Goetz <karl@kgoetz.id.au> wrote:

> AIUI, the FSF consider CC-SA 2.5 to be free, but because its part of the
> CC licences, wont support it.
> Debian have issues with CC licences in general, and i belive none are
> DFSG free.

Yes, that's right; the FSF considers CC-BY(-SA) free, and Debian don't
(mainly because of the anti-DRM stuff, iirc)

RMS used to not support CC because they promoted a load of licenses
that didn't permit verbatim noncommercial sharing worldwide, but CC
changed their policy and "discontinued" those licenses, so RMS now
supports them. I assume the FSF follows his change.

Dave

Tim Dobson 03-23-2008 09:03 PM

Karl Goetz wrote:
> AIUI, the FSF consider CC-SA 2.5 to be free, but because its part of the
> CC licences, wont support it.

Apologies.

I'm sure exactly where this leaves me, but that doesn't really matter.
it's interesting that the vrms maintainers have interpreted a non-fsf
point of view, but this isn't the point, and it really doesn't matter to
me whose POV they interpret.

A few minutes after I posted the email I looked again at what the
licence was, thought something looked strange and did the research.

Yeah, so perhaps I should have looked a bit more carefully before posting.

--
www.blog.tdobson.net
----

Tim Dobson 03-23-2008 09:05 PM

Dave Crossland wrote:
> RMS used to not support CC because they promoted a load of licenses
> that didn't permit verbatim noncommercial sharing worldwide, but CC
> changed their policy and "discontinued" those licenses, so RMS now
> supports them. I assume the FSF follows his change.

Well also Lessig is on the board of directors.

I'm not sure why to be honest, but this might have soemthing to do with it.

--
www.blog.tdobson.net
----

"Brian Brazil" 03-23-2008 09:08 PM

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Tim Dobson <personalwebsite@army.com> wrote:

Karl Goetz wrote:

> AIUI, the FSF consider CC-SA 2.5 to be free, but because its part of the

> CC licences, wont support it.

Apologies.

I'm sure exactly where this leaves me, but that doesn't really matter.

it's interesting that the vrms maintainers have interpreted a non-fsf

point of view, but this isn't the point, and it really doesn't matter to

me whose POV they interpret.

Vrms tends to have inaccuracies like this. It has been considered more
than once to drop it from gNewSense due to the hassle it causes.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Gobuntu discussions...

Brian
*