Old 06-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Allan Gottlieb

Default udev problem with USB disk (SOLVED ?)

Thank you alan and >Q<.

The problem seems to be that I was trying to mount (a partition of)
the usb disk at boot time with localmount. The localmount init script
is run before the usb filesystem (usbfs) is mounted. I have now
listed it as noauto in fstab and mount it in local.start.

But I did learn a few points in reading several doc (especially
drake's udev guide).

The docs suggest placing local rules in 10-local.rules since that
prevents them from being overwritten by later generic rules. I tried
moving it to 99-local.rules; nothing changed.

The URL referenced by Q suggests that you can only use one section of
output from udevinfo to construct a rule. In fact you can use two,
the original "dev" node and ONE parent. Thus I could include the
serial number as a matching criteria.

Again thanks for the help.
allan