Old 06-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Enrico Weigelt

Default OT: finding package versions in use

Hi folk,

I'd like to add some package usage information to the
Comprehensive Source Database (http://sourcefarm.metux.de/):

The database should know whether some specific release is used
by some distribution, and maybe whether additional patches are
needed. This should help the OSS-QM project (http://oss-qm.metux.de/)
and upstream to decide which releases to support.

As Gentoo's my favourite distro, I'd start here: a scanner runs
through the portage tree regularily and updates the CSDB usage
records. But the tricky point is matching Gentoo's ebuild version
to CSDB's normalized version space.

Does anyone have an suggestion how to achieve this (w/o too much
manual work) ?

cu

Old 06-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Justin

Enrico Weigelt schrieb:

Hi folk,

I'd like to add some package usage information to the
Comprehensive Source Database (http://sourcefarm.metux.de/):

The database should know whether some specific release is used
by some distribution, and maybe whether additional patches are

needed. This should help the OSS-QM project (http://oss-qm.metux.de/)
and upstream to decide which releases to support.

As Gentoo's my favourite distro, I'd start here: a scanner runs
through the portage tree regularily and updates the CSDB usage
records. But the tricky point is matching Gentoo's ebuild version
to CSDB's normalized version space.

Does anyone have an suggestion how to achieve this (w/o too much
manual work) ?

cu

I don't get the problem correctly, but if you want to work with ebuild
versions I can point you to the versinator.eclass of the portage.

Hope that helps,
justin

Old 06-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Enrico Weigelt

* Justin <justin@j-schmitz.net> wrote:

Hi,

> I don't get the problem correctly, but if you want to work with ebuild
> versions I can point you to the versinator.eclass of the portage.

maybe I should clarify my intend a bit more:

I want to build an database which tells whether some release
"a.b.c.d" of some package "foo" is in use by some distro "bar".

For Gentoo, the term "in use" means, there is an ebuild in
official portage tree (overlays might be treated as their own
distros). So I need some scanner which runs over the whole portage
tree ans spits out all package names with their normalized (!)
releases. The normalized version space is exactly the same CSDB
uses for it's source URL database.

I guess there's some non-trivial translation process needed.
First I have to cut-off the Gentoo's internal patchlevel
(aka. same upstream release, but updated ebuild), then map
the upstream's versioning schemes to my normalized one.
*If* Gentoo strictly follows the upstream's versioning scheme
and only adds some -r* for ebuild revisions, then the first step
should be easy, and CSDB's mapping stuff can be reused
(although I should rewrite the bunch of php scripts to some
more universal rule engine ;-o).

Once I've got these information in the database (and also collected
from other major distros), it can tell whether some release is
"in use" by a simple query.

Hope my intent is now clear

cu

Old 06-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 17:16:28 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> I guess there's some non-trivial translation process needed.
> First I have to cut-off the Gentoo's internal patchlevel
> (aka. same upstream release, but updated ebuild),

Try atom, from portage-utils, then use cut or awk to select the third
item of output.

> then map
> the upstream's versioning schemes to my normalized one.
> *If* Gentoo strictly follows the upstream's versioning scheme
> and only adds some -r* for ebuild revisions, then the first step
> should be easy,

Gentoo follows upstream as closely as possible, but not when their
versioning breaks the Gentoo rules. For example, dovecot-1.1.rc8 becomes
dovecot-1.1_rc8.

--
Neil Bothwick

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Enrico Weigelt

* Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> Try atom, from portage-utils, then use cut or awk to select the third
> item of output.

Ah, cool. That helps a lot

> > then map
> > the upstream's versioning schemes to my normalized one.
> > *If* Gentoo strictly follows the upstream's versioning scheme
> > and only adds some -r* for ebuild revisions, then the first step
> > should be easy,
>
> Gentoo follows upstream as closely as possible, but not when their
> versioning breaks the Gentoo rules. For example, dovecot-1.1.rc8
> becomes dovecot-1.1_rc8.

Are there any formal rules for that ?

cu

Old 06-07-2008, 06:51 PM
"Espen Hustad"

2008/6/7, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de>:
* Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> > Try atom, from portage-utils, then use cut or awk to select the third

> > item of output.

>Ah, cool. That helps a lot

> >*> then map
> > > the upstream's versioning schemes to my normalized one.
> > > *If* Gentoo strictly follows the upstream's versioning scheme

> > and only adds some -r* for ebuild revisions, then the first step
> > should be easy,
> >
> >Gentoo follows upstream as closely as possible, but not when their
> >versioning breaks the Gentoo rules. For example, dovecot-1.1.rc8

> >becomes dovecot-1.1_rc8.

> Are there any formal rules for that ?

I believe you can find the naming rules here: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap2

cu