Old 06-01-2008, 04:28 PM
"Dan Cowsill"

Default Monitoring network bandwidth utilization

Hi,

Not too long ago, I set up a router powered by Gentoo Linux and old
computer hardware. So far, it has worked like a charm and I am quite
pleased with my accomplishment.

I am quite active in various BitTorrent communities, however my ISP
doesn't take kindly to me eating all their precious bandwidth. Up
until now, I have been using a cheap little windows utility to monitor
monthly bandwidth and warn me if I go above my ISP's maximum.
However, this has become inaccurate due to my use of Windows network
shares. This machine now routinely records upload bandwidth in excess
of 300 gigabytes per month, however I do not know which part of that
is actually going to the interwebs.

My question is this: is there a utility in Portage that you could
recommend that would monitor bandwidth on a specific network
interface, send me monthly reports via email and warn me if I am using
too much bandwidth?

Thanks a bunch

--
Dan Cowsill

Old 06-02-2008, 01:51 AM
"Andrey Falko"

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not too long ago, I set up a router powered by Gentoo Linux and old
> computer hardware. So far, it has worked like a charm and I am quite
> pleased with my accomplishment.
>
> I am quite active in various BitTorrent communities, however my ISP
> doesn't take kindly to me eating all their precious bandwidth. Up
> until now, I have been using a cheap little windows utility to monitor
> monthly bandwidth and warn me if I go above my ISP's maximum.
> However, this has become inaccurate due to my use of Windows network
> shares. This machine now routinely records upload bandwidth in excess
> of 300 gigabytes per month, however I do not know which part of that
> is actually going to the interwebs.
>
> My question is this: is there a utility in Portage that you could
> recommend that would monitor bandwidth on a specific network
> interface, send me monthly reports via email and warn me if I am using
> too much bandwidth?
I don't know about email reports, but have you check out this week's GMN? :

http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/20080526-newsletter.xml

Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
"Dan Cowsill"

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Not too long ago, I set up a router powered by Gentoo Linux and old
>> computer hardware. So far, it has worked like a charm and I am quite
>> pleased with my accomplishment.
>>
>> I am quite active in various BitTorrent communities, however my ISP
>> doesn't take kindly to me eating all their precious bandwidth. Up
>> until now, I have been using a cheap little windows utility to monitor
>> monthly bandwidth and warn me if I go above my ISP's maximum.
>> However, this has become inaccurate due to my use of Windows network
>> shares. This machine now routinely records upload bandwidth in excess
>> of 300 gigabytes per month, however I do not know which part of that
>> is actually going to the interwebs.
>>
>> My question is this: is there a utility in Portage that you could
>> recommend that would monitor bandwidth on a specific network
>> interface, send me monthly reports via email and warn me if I am using
>> too much bandwidth?
> I don't know about email reports, but have you check out this week's GMN? :
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/20080526-newsletter.xml
>>
>> Thanks a bunch
>>
>> --
>> Dan Cowsill