Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   Which Java Runtime is "best"? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/99010-java-runtime-best.html)

"Walter Dnes" 06-01-2008 02:24 PM

Which Java Runtime is "best"?
 
I haven't seen an interesting site using Java for a long while. I
recently stumbled across http://discover.itsc.uah.edu/amsutemps/ and
decided it would be nice to actually view it. I haven't had Java on my
machines for a long while. There are a few Java implementations
available (Sun/Blackdown/IBM/BEA/Kaffe/others?), so my question is...

- which one gives the least trouble setting up and running?

Since I'm only going to be using it a few times a month, I'm not too
worried about benchmarks, unless an implementation is excruciatingly
slow.

I only need a runtime. I don't know the programming language, so
there's no need for a full-blown development environment.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

Florian Philipp 06-01-2008 04:37 PM

Which Java Runtime is "best"?
 
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 10:24:57 -0400
"Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> I haven't seen an interesting site using Java for a long while. I
> recently stumbled across http://discover.itsc.uah.edu/amsutemps/ and
> decided it would be nice to actually view it. I haven't had Java on
> my machines for a long while. There are a few Java implementations
> available (Sun/Blackdown/IBM/BEA/Kaffe/others?), so my question is...
>
> - which one gives the least trouble setting up and running?
>
> Since I'm only going to be using it a few times a month, I'm not too
> worried about benchmarks, unless an implementation is excruciatingly
> slow.
>
> I only need a runtime. I don't know the programming language, so
> there's no need for a full-blown development environment.
>

Take Sun JRE. In terms of headaches per month, the quasi standard
implementation is unbeatable.

ionut cucu 06-04-2008 12:12 PM

Which Java Runtime is "best"?
 
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 18:37:28 +0200
Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 10:24:57 -0400
> "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
>
> > I haven't seen an interesting site using Java for a long while. I
> > recently stumbled across http://discover.itsc.uah.edu/amsutemps/ and
> > decided it would be nice to actually view it. I haven't had Java on
> > my machines for a long while. There are a few Java implementations
> > available (Sun/Blackdown/IBM/BEA/Kaffe/others?), so my question
> > is...
> >
> > - which one gives the least trouble setting up and running?
> >
> > Since I'm only going to be using it a few times a month, I'm not
> > too worried about benchmarks, unless an implementation is
> > excruciatingly slow.
> >
> > I only need a runtime. I don't know the programming language, so
> > there's no need for a full-blown development environment.
> >
>
> Take Sun JRE. In terms of headaches per month, the quasi standard
> implementation is unbeatable.
Unless you have a 64 arch
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

Florian Philipp 06-04-2008 05:24 PM

Which Java Runtime is "best"?
 
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 15:12:51 +0300
ionut cucu <cuciferus@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 18:37:28 +0200
> Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 10:24:57 -0400
> > "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> > Take Sun JRE. In terms of headaches per month, the quasi standard
> > implementation is unbeatable.
> Unless you have a 64 arch

I'm on AMD64 and am programming java, too. Until now I haven't had a
problem with SUN JDK (1.6). Of course, it doesn't supply a browser
plugin, but I'm not aware of any JRE doing it at the moment and thanks
to nspluginwrapper, there is no urgent need for it, either.

Florian Philipp 06-04-2008 06:56 PM

Which Java Runtime is "best"?
 
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 19:24:10 +0200
Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 15:12:51 +0300
> ionut cucu <cuciferus@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 18:37:28 +0200
> > Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 10:24:57 -0400
> > > "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> > > Take Sun JRE. In terms of headaches per month, the quasi standard
> > > implementation is unbeatable.
> > Unless you have a 64 arch
>
> I'm on AMD64 and am programming java, too. Until now I haven't had a
> problem with SUN JDK (1.6). Of course, it doesn't supply a browser
> plugin, but I'm not aware of any JRE doing it at the moment and thanks
> to nspluginwrapper, there is no urgent need for it, either.

I have to correct myself. As it seems, GNU-Classpath provides an
nsplugin. I haven't tested it yet (and I won't because I need
emul-linux-x86-java anyway and the current way works for me).

"Walter Dnes" 06-07-2008 09:01 PM

Which Java Runtime is "best"?
 
On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:24:57AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote
>
> - which one gives the least trouble setting up and running?

Thanks for your input everybody. According to /proc/cpuinfo, I'm
running an "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+", but it's in 32-bit
mode. I'll go with Sun Java.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
Stop the Squeegee Kids in Pinstripe Suits
Fight Canadian internet taxes http://walterdnes.wordpress.com
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

"Walter Dnes" 06-07-2008 10:24 PM

Which Java Runtime is "best"?
 
On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:24:57AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote

> I only need a runtime. I don't know the programming language, so
> there's no need for a full-blown development environment.

OK, so I *WAS* going to try the Sun JRE. It seems that there's no
such animal. You have to download the fullblown developer's kit...

[m3000][root][~] emerge -pv virtual/jre

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-wrapper-0.15 7 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-2.1.6 40 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-1.3.7 15 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/sun-jdk-1.6.0.05 USE="X alsa nsplugin -doc -examples -jce -odbc" 68,885 kB
[ebuild N ] virtual/jdk-1.6.0 0 kB
[ebuild N ] virtual/jre-1.6.0 0 kB

[m3000][root][~] emerge -pv virtual/jdk

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-wrapper-0.15 7 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-2.1.6 40 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-1.3.7 15 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/sun-jdk-1.6.0.05 USE="X alsa nsplugin -doc -examples -jce -odbc" 68,885 kB
[ebuild N ] virtual/jdk-1.6.0 0 kB

I had always wondered why Sun's Java could be shoehorned into memory-
starved cellphones, but required a full gigbyte of diskspace on a PC,
merely to view a Java applet on a webpage. Now I know. Next thing I
looked at was Blackdown...

[m3000][root][~] emerge -pv blackdown-jre

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-wrapper-0.15 7 kB
[ebuild N ] net-libs/libnet-1.1.2.1-r1 USE="-doc" 998 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-2.1.6 40 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-1.3.7 15 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.03-r14 USE="X alsa (-nsplugin) -odbc" 13,225 kB

[m3000][root][~] emerge -pv blackdown-jdk

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-wrapper-0.15 7 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-2.1.6 40 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-1.3.7 15 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03-r15 USE="-doc (-nsplugin)" 33,571 kB

The jdk is significantly smaller, and the jre even moreso. However,
the "(-nsplugin)" scares me. Does that mean it doesn't have the ability
to view Java applets in Firefox via plugins??? What's the point? Even
with a desktop PC, a gigabyte here and a gigabyte there, and pretty soon
you're talking real significant diskspace. I plan on getting an ASUS
EEE 900 soon. And on that thing, a gigabyte to view webpage applets is a
very bad idea.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
Stop the Squeegee Kids in Pinstripe Suits
Fight Canadian internet taxes http://walterdnes.wordpress.com
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

ABCD 06-08-2008 01:20 AM

Which Java Runtime is "best"?
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Walter Dnes wrote:
>> I only need a runtime. I don't know the programming language, so
>> there's no need for a full-blown development environment.
>
> OK, so I *WAS* going to try the Sun JRE. It seems that there's no
> such animal. You have to download the fullblown developer's kit...

Try dev-java/sun-jre-bin

- --
ABCD
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkhLM9EACgkQOypDUo0oQOrCPACdGTokzHFl1y j5Xjm07EdDj2pf
QpkAn1n32ZlXIcWtPK+LmvCBegmA8oko
=fwJw
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

Aaron Clark 06-08-2008 03:54 AM

Which Java Runtime is "best"?
 
Walter Dnes wrote:

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:24:57AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote


I only need a runtime. I don't know the programming language, so
there's no need for a full-blown development environment.


OK, so I *WAS* going to try the Sun JRE. It seems that there's no
such animal. You have to download the fullblown developer's kit...


SNIP!


[m3000][root][~] emerge -pv blackdown-jre

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-wrapper-0.15 7 kB
[ebuild N ] net-libs/libnet-1.1.2.1-r1 USE="-doc" 998 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-2.1.6 40 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-1.3.7 15 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.03-r14 USE="X alsa (-nsplugin) -odbc" 13,225 kB

[m3000][root][~] emerge -pv blackdown-jdk

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-wrapper-0.15 7 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-2.1.6 40 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/java-config-1.3.7 15 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-java/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03-r15 USE="-doc (-nsplugin)" 33,571 kB

The jdk is significantly smaller, and the jre even moreso. However,
the "(-nsplugin)" scares me. Does that mean it doesn't have the ability
to view Java applets in Firefox via plugins??? What's the point? Even
with a desktop PC, a gigabyte here and a gigabyte there, and pretty soon
you're talking real significant diskspace. I plan on getting an ASUS
EEE 900 soon. And on that thing, a gigabyte to view webpage applets is a
very bad idea.


Even the Sun JDK is not more than 100MB, I don't see the big deal. As
for the plugin, IIRC the Blackdown JRE/JDK have an unpatched security
issue with the browser plugin, which is why the plugin is turned off.


You may have better luck getting more in-depth answers on the
gentoo-java mail list.


Aaron
--
"The goblins are in charge of maintenance? Why not just set it on fire
now and call it a day?"

--Whip Tongue, Viashino Technician
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

"Walter Dnes" 06-08-2008 11:59 AM

Which Java Runtime is "best"?
 
On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 09:20:17PM -0400, ABCD wrote

> > OK, so I *WAS* going to try the Sun JRE. It seems that there's no
> > such animal. You have to download the fullblown developer's kit...
>
> Try dev-java/sun-jre-bin

<ELVIS>Thank you, thank you, thank you verrrry verrrry much</ELVIS>
That's exactly what I was looking for.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
Stop the Squeegee Kids in Pinstripe Suits
Fight Canadian internet taxes http://walterdnes.wordpress.com
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:30 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.