Old 05-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Florian Philipp

Default Java default Swing stile

Hi list!

I've recently started both programming and using some Java applications
(not that I would have a choice ...).

Well, anyway, as it seems the default style for Swing is set to
"Metal", Java's own rather ugly and non-conforming variant. Is there
a way to set this to GTK, QT or whatever I have here other than
through the functionality in the programs themeselve?
Or is it really the Java-VM who's dictating what's the default for a
given platform (Windows/Linux)?

Thanks in advance!

Florian Philipp

Old 05-30-2008, 08:04 PM
"Dirk Uys"

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM, Florian Philipp
<lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I've recently started both programming and using some Java applications
> (not that I would have a choice ...).
>
> Well, anyway, as it seems the default style for Swing is set to
> "Metal", Java's own rather ugly and non-conforming variant. Is there
> a way to set this to GTK, QT or whatever I have here other than
> through the functionality in the programs themeselve?
> Or is it really the Java-VM who's dictating what's the default for a
> given platform (Windows/Linux)?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Florian Philipp

I think the JVM defaults to motif, it's supported on most platforms. I
found this on the web:

<start-quote>
Yes, it is possible.

In the ~/java/lib dir, create / edit a file with name swing.proprierties:

Change the line:

swing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.CURRENTLO OKANDFEEL

swing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLo okAndFeel
</end-quote>

Don't know if it works though?

Old 05-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Florian Philipp

On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:04:55 +0200
"Dirk Uys" <dirkcuys@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM, Florian Philipp
> <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
> > Hi list!
> >
> > I've recently started both programming and using some Java
> > applications (not that I would have a choice ...).
> >
> > Well, anyway, as it seems the default style for Swing is set to
> > "Metal", Java's own rather ugly and non-conforming variant. Is there
> > a way to set this to GTK, QT or whatever I have here other than
> > through the functionality in the programs themeselve?
> > Or is it really the Java-VM who's dictating what's the default for a
> > given platform (Windows/Linux)?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Florian Philipp
> >

> I think the JVM defaults to motif, it's supported on most platforms. I
> found this on the web:
>
> <start-quote>
> Yes, it is possible.
>
> In the ~/java/lib dir, create / edit a file with name
> swing.proprierties:
>
> Change the line:
>
> swing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.CURRENTLO OKANDFEEL

> swing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLo okAndFeel
> </end-quote>
>
> Don't know if it works though?

No, unfortunately not. I also tried ~/.java
and /opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.06/ but it's just ignored.

Thanks anyway!