Old 05-30-2008, 05:59 PM
James

Default quickcam pro 4000

Hello,

I have this usb camera installed (or so I think):

lsbus:
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 046d:08b2 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro 4000

/etc/udev/rules.d/40-video.rules has this entry:
KERNEL=="video[0-9]*", NAME="v4l/video%n", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="video"

So what is a good application to view the live video with?

James

Old 06-03-2008, 12:18 AM
James

Statux <statux <at> optonline.net> writes:

> I use ekiga with gnome for conferencing and camorama with the same
> camera you have. I haven't found a video capturing program yet, though.
> I hope someone knows of a nice one

I'll test out ekiga. If I run across an application for capture, I'll
drop you a line.

> > This used to work really well with the pwc set of drivers, but support
> > was removed from the kernel, and thus Gentoo, a few months ago. I ended
> > up buying a Logitech Quickcam 9000 to replace mine, which has much
> > better picture, and is supported by the uvc set of drivers - these seem
> > to be under more active development.
> PWC support was added back into the kernel a long time ago under the V4L
> version 1 section of the configuration.

> The licensing for the proprietary drivers was dropped way back (those
> were the extra drivers that got you higher framerates and better quality
> images, etc) and yes, the support was yanked from the kernel but said
> support has been returned, which made me happy because, as I noted, I
> too have one of these cameras.

All very nice to know. I'll keep twidling with the kernel and
looking applications that make it easy to use this usb camera.

> -Statux

Thanks for the information.

James