Old 05-29-2008, 08:32 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default K3b complains about my locale

When I crank up K3b, it complains about my setup, with the message

*** "System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
*** Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this has been done intentionally.

*** Most likely the locale is not set at**** all. An invalid setting will result in problems when creating data projects.
*** Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_* environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools take care of this."

It is correct that this is not intentional (it does seem antique).* I have configured .mybashrc to set my LANG to "en_US", but nothing beyond that.
What "distribution setup tools" is it referring to, so that I can correct this on gentoo?

++ kevin

Old 05-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Mick

On Thursday 29 May 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> When I crank up K3b, it complains about my setup, with the message
>
> "System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
> Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode
> filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this has
> been done intentionally.
> Most likely the locale is not set at all. An invalid setting will
> result in problems when creating data projects.
> Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
> environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools take
> care of this."
>
> It is correct that this is not intentional (it does seem antique). I have
> configured .mybashrc to set my LANG to "en_US", but nothing beyond that.
> What "distribution setup tools" is it referring to, so that I can correct
> this on gentoo?

What have you set up in your /etc/locale.gen ?

Mick

Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday 29 May 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> When I crank up K3b, it complains about my setup, with the message

> * * "System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968

> * * Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode

> filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this has

> been done intentionally.

> * * Most likely the locale is not set at * * all. An invalid setting will

> result in problems when creating data projects.

> * * Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*

> environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools take

> care of this."

> It is correct that this is not intentional (it does seem antique). *I have

> configured .mybashrc to set my LANG to "en_US", but nothing beyond that.

> What "distribution setup tools" is it referring to, so that I can correct

> this on gentoo?

What have you set up in your /etc/locale.gen ?*I won't take credit for setting this up, because I don't think I did.* On the other hand,
I've had occasion to internationalize a web page to dutch and polish, which appear

in the list.* So I dunno where it came from.

But here's what's there:
*
# /etc/locale.gen: list all of the locales you want to have on your system
#
# The format of each line:
# <locale> <charmap>

#
# Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
# where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.
#
# All blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored.

#
# For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
# /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
#
# Whenever glibc is emerged, the locales listed here will be automatically
# rebuilt for you.* After updating this file, you can simply run `locale-gen`

# yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.

en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
#ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP
#ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8
#ja_JP EUC-JP
#en_HK ISO-8859-1
#en_PH ISO-8859-1
#de_DE ISO-8859-1
#de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15

es_MX ISO-8859-1
#fa_IR UTF-8
fr_FR ISO-8859-1
fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15
#it_IT ISO-8859-1
pl_PL ISO-8859-15

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Mick

On Thursday 29 May 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 May 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > > When I crank up K3b, it complains about my setup, with the message
> > >
> > > "System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
> > > Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode
> > > filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this
> > > has been done intentionally.
> > > Most likely the locale is not set at all. An invalid setting
> > > will result in problems when creating data projects.
> > > Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
> > > environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools
> > > take care of this."
> > >
> > > It is correct that this is not intentional (it does seem antique). I
> >
> > have
> >
> > > configured .mybashrc to set my LANG to "en_US", but nothing beyond
> > > that. What "distribution setup tools" is it referring to, so that I can
> > > correct this on gentoo?
> >
> > What have you set up in your /etc/locale.gen ?
>
> I won't take credit for setting this up, because I don't think I did. On
> the other hand,
> I've had occasion to internationalize a web page to dutch and polish, which
> appear
> in the list. So I dunno where it came from.
>
> But here's what's there:
>
> # /etc/locale.gen: list all of the locales you want to have on your system
> #
> # The format of each line:
> # <locale> <charmap>
> #
> # Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
> # where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.
> #
> # All blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored.
> #
> # For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
> # /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
> #
> # Whenever glibc is emerged, the locales listed here will be automatically
> # rebuilt for you. After updating this file, you can simply run
> `locale-gen`
> # yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.
>
> en_US ISO-8859-1
> en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
> #ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP
> #ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8
> #ja_JP EUC-JP
> #en_HK ISO-8859-1
> #en_PH ISO-8859-1
> #de_DE ISO-8859-1
> #de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15
> es_MX ISO-8859-1
> #fa_IR UTF-8
> fr_FR ISO-8859-1
> fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15
> #it_IT ISO-8859-1
> pl_PL ISO-8859-15

This looks fine. If when you run $ locale you get a list with LANG=en_US but
further down LC_ALL= (blank), then set export LC_ALL=xxx in your .bashrc to
whatever you want your locale set to.

HTH.
Mick

Old 05-29-2008, 11:01 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

> # rebuilt for you. *After updating this file, you can simply run

> `locale-gen`

> # yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.

> en_US ISO-8859-1

> en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8

> #ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP

> #ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8

> #ja_JP EUC-JP

> #en_HK ISO-8859-1

> #en_PH ISO-8859-1

> #de_DE ISO-8859-1

> #de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15

> es_MX ISO-8859-1

> #fa_IR UTF-8

> fr_FR ISO-8859-1

> fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15

> #it_IT ISO-8859-1

> pl_PL ISO-8859-15

This looks fine. *If when you run $ locale you get a list with LANG=en_US but

further down LC_ALL= * (blank), then set export LC_ALL=xxx in your .bashrc to

Halfway there.* I did that, and now "locale" looks like

kevin@treat ~ $ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"

LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"

LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=en_US
kevin@treat ~ $

However, when I start k3b from the KDE menus, it still complains.

On the other hand, if I start k3b from the shell that gives the "locale" results above,

it starts clean.* So the issue seems to be that I need to inform KDE about the
locale.

I did a fresh boot, and that did not help, so I wonder if .mybashrc is the correct
place to do this.

--

Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 29 May 2008 16:01:35 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I did a fresh boot, and that did not help, so I wonder if .mybashrc is
> the correct place to do this.

Not really, because that only applies to bash. I have my locale settings
in /etc/env.d/02locale - run env-update after editing it.

--
Neil Bothwick

Life's a cache, and then you flush...

Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Kevin O'Gorman schrieb:

[...]

try /etc/env.d/02locale

LANG="en_US"
LC_ALL="en_US"

For details take a look at the localisation guide.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml

Old 05-30-2008, 01:34 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

[...]

The file /etc/env.d/02locale does not exist on my system.* I can create it, of course,
but I suspect I may be missing something.* Is there a package I should emerge?

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-30-2008, 07:06 PM
"Marzan, Richard non Unisys"

[...]

I guarantee that those instructions will work for you. Check to see if you have 02locale in your /etc/env.d/ dir.