Old 12-01-2007, 05:32 AM
Grant

Default Wireless help?

I'm trying to set up a new laptop's wireless interface. lspci says it
has an Atheros AR5006EG which should mean the madwifi drivers. I
emerged madwifi-ng and madwifi-ng-tools, created net.ath0 as a link to
net.lo, and set the ath_pci module to autoload (which it does without
errors) but I get:

network interface ath0 does not exist
Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)

when trying to start net.ath0. Does this sound like a driver support
problem or did I miss something? ifconfig only shows eth0 and lo.
iwconfig shows, eth0, lo, and sit0. I don't know what sit0 is.

- Grant

Old 12-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Galevsky

Hello Grant,

Let's check first your kernel config:
http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/KernelConfig
If you still face trouble, I advise you to have a look at the website
doc which looks pretty good..

Gal'

Old 12-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Mick

On Saturday 01 December 2007, Grant wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a new laptop's wireless interface. lspci says it
> has an Atheros AR5006EG which should mean the madwifi drivers. I
> emerged madwifi-ng and madwifi-ng-tools, created net.ath0 as a link to
> net.lo, and set the ath_pci module to autoload (which it does without
> errors) but I get:
>
> network interface ath0 does not exist
> Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)
>
> when trying to start net.ath0. Does this sound like a driver support
> problem or did I miss something? ifconfig only shows eth0 and lo.
> iwconfig shows, eth0, lo, and sit0. I don't know what sit0 is.

You probably have enabled IPv6 in your kernel? sit0 is the interface for an
ipv4/ipv6 tunnel. I don't think that it is related to your WiFi chip.

The fact that you do not see the WiFi interface when your run ifconfig or
iwconfig(?) means that the driver in question is not picking it up. The
solution can be quite elusive, but short of hacking the driver itself you may
want to:

1. emerge previous versions or later versions of the driver and try again.
2. Try ndiswrapper with the MS Windows driver at least until the Linux driver
comes to a version that works with the AR5006EG chip.

Good luck.
Mick

Old 12-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Stroller

I'm trying to set up a new laptop's wireless interface. lspci says it
has an Atheros AR5006EG which should mean the madwifi drivers. I
emerged madwifi-ng and madwifi-ng-tools, created net.ath0 as a link to
net.lo, and set the ath_pci module to autoload (which it does without
errors) but I get:

network interface ath0 does not exist
Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)

when trying to start net.ath0. Does this sound like a driver support
problem or did I miss something? ifconfig only shows eth0 and lo.
iwconfig shows, eth0, lo, and sit0. I don't know what sit0 is.

Hi there,

Madwifi is different from all (I think) of the other Linux wireless
drivers in that it requires use of the wlanconfig command.

EG:
wlanconfig ath create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta

See also: http://madwifi.org/users-guide/node14.html

When posting about wireless issues you really need to post the OUTPUT
of `iwconfig` also.

EG:
iwconfig wlan0 enc aaaaaaaaaa mode managed essid driveon channel 7
<http://www.newlinuxuser.com/howto-use-iwconfig/>

If you're unable to connect to the net then copy the output textfile
to a connected machine using a USB key or floppy disk.

It seems, however, that you're not alone in having problems with this
card: <http://www.google.com/search?q=madwifi+AR5006EG>. It looks to
me that if you use the latest version of the madwifi drivers then you
may be successful, but you may find madwifi's own mailing lists more
helpful. I don't think you need to use NDISwrapper, although I have
to confess that I am slightly religious on this matter.

Stroller.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Grant

> > I'm trying to set up a new laptop's wireless interface. lspci says it
> > has an Atheros AR5006EG which should mean the madwifi drivers. I
> > emerged madwifi-ng and madwifi-ng-tools, created net.ath0 as a link to
> > net.lo, and set the ath_pci module to autoload (which it does without
> > errors) but I get:
> >
> > network interface ath0 does not exist
> > Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)
> >
> > when trying to start net.ath0. Does this sound like a driver support
> > problem or did I miss something? ifconfig only shows eth0 and lo.
> > iwconfig shows, eth0, lo, and sit0. I don't know what sit0 is.
>
> Hi there,
>
> Madwifi is different from all (I think) of the other Linux wireless
> drivers in that it requires use of the wlanconfig command.
>
> EG:
> wlanconfig ath create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta
>
> See also: http://madwifi.org/users-guide/node14.html
>
> When posting about wireless issues you really need to post the OUTPUT
> of `iwconfig` also.
> EG:
> iwconfig wlan0 enc aaaaaaaaaa mode managed essid driveon channel 7
> <http://www.newlinuxuser.com/howto-use-iwconfig/>
>
> If you're unable to connect to the net then copy the output textfile
> to a connected machine using a USB key or floppy disk.
>
> It seems, however, that you're not alone in having problems with this
> card: <http://www.google.com/search?q=madwifi+AR5006EG>. It looks to
> me that if you use the latest version of the madwifi drivers then you
> may be successful, but you may find madwifi's own mailing lists more
> helpful. I don't think you need to use NDISwrapper, although I have
> to confess that I am slightly religious on this matter.

According to a ticket at madwifi.org it's only working with
ndiswrapper currently. I've actually been using madwifi and
wpa_supplicant happily for years now with a PCMCIA card and a couple
of PCI cards but this new one isn't cooperating. Thanks for the help.

- Grant