Old 05-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Pawel K

Default hardware autodetection at boot

Hello
How can I force Gentoo to detect hardware at boot time.
Is it enough to compile the kernel with "automatic module loading" option ?
or should I install additional tools e.g. kudzu ?

thanks for help

Old 05-29-2008, 02:59 PM
"Andrey Falko"

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Pawel K <pawlaczus@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello
> How can I force Gentoo to detect hardware at boot time.
> Is it enough to compile the kernel with "automatic module loading" option ?
> or should I install additional tools e.g. kudzu ?
>
> thanks for help

udev and the "automatic module loading" option should be sufficient,
given that you have all of the proper modules compiled.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Pawel K

I compiled the kernel with all modules:

make allmodconfig
make
make modules_install

I have udev running on my machine since more than a year.
I created the following section in grub.conf:

title vanilla-all-modules
* root (hd0,0)
* kernel /boot/kernel-all-modules root=/dev/hda1

The kernel is unable to mount my ext3 root filesystem.
It shows the following message:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0).

(hd0,0) is correct since I copied it from my daily grub section.
I have ext3.ko in the following path:
/lib/modules/2.6.24.3/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko

Could you give me some indications of how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance

Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@gmail.com> wrote: On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Pawel K

Old 05-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Anthony Metcalf

Pawel K wrote:
I compiled the kernel with all modules:

make allmodconfig

make

make modules_install

I have udev running on my machine since more than a year.

I created the following section in grub.conf:

title vanilla-all-modules

* root (hd0,0)

* kernel /boot/kernel-all-modules root=/dev/hda1

The kernel is unable to mount my ext3 root filesystem.

It shows the following message:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0).

(hd0,0) is correct since I copied it from my daily grub section.

I have ext3.ko in the following path:

/lib/modules/2.6.24.3/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko

Could you give me some indications of how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance

make allmodconfig will make everything it can as a module,
including the filesystems.....you need the ext3 built in to mount the
root filesystem.

my advise would be to make menuconfig after you have done make all
config, and change the ext3 from mto * (i.e. built in, not modular),
then make && make modules_install

Old 05-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Uwe Thiem

On Thursday 29 May 2008, Pawel K wrote:
> I compiled the kernel with all modules:
>
> make allmodconfig
> make
> make modules_install
>
> I have udev running on my machine since more than a year.
> I created the following section in grub.conf:
>
> title vanilla-all-modules
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/kernel-all-modules root=/dev/hda1
>
> The kernel is unable to mount my ext3 root filesystem.
> It shows the following message:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0).
>
> (hd0,0) is correct since I copied it from my daily grub section.
> I have ext3.ko in the following path:
> /lib/modules/2.6.24.3/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko
>
> Could you give me some indications of how to solve this problem.

The driver for the root filesystem must be built into the kernel (not
as a module) unless you use an initramfs that loads the modul before
the kernel/init take over.

Uwe

--
Ignorance killed the cat, sir, curiosity was framed!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:50 PM
John covici

on Thursday 05/29/2008 Pawel K(pawlaczus@yahoo.com) wrote
> I compiled the kernel with all modules:
>
> make allmodconfig
> make
> make modules_install
>
> I have udev running on my machine since more than a year.
> I created the following section in grub.conf:
>
> title vanilla-all-modules
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/kernel-all-modules root=/dev/hda1
>
> The kernel is unable to mount my ext3 root filesystem.
> It shows the following message:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0).
>
> (hd0,0) is correct since I copied it from my daily grub section.
> I have ext3.ko in the following path:
> /lib/modules/2.6.24.3/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko
>
> Could you give me some indications of how to solve this problem.

You need an initrd as well and I did not see one in your grub stanza
-- if you generated one, put it in /boot and in the stanza, otherwise
be sure to generate one using genkernel.

Hope this helps.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 05-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Nicolas Sebrecht

Pawel K <pawlaczus@yahoo.com> a écrit:

> Could you give me some indications of how to solve this problem.

genkernel ?

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 05-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Donnerstag, 29. Mai 2008 schrieb Pawel K:
> I compiled the kernel with all modules:
>
> make allmodconfig
> make
> make modules_install
>
> I have udev running on my machine since more than a year.
> I created the following section in grub.conf:
>
> title vanilla-all-modules
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/kernel-all-modules root=/dev/hda1
>
> The kernel is unable to mount my ext3 root filesystem.
> It shows the following message:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0).
>
> (hd0,0) is correct since I copied it from my daily grub section.
> I have ext3.ko in the following path:
> /lib/modules/2.6.24.3/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko
>
> Could you give me some indications of how to solve this problem.

Yes. You need to compile the drivers for your hard disc, hard disc controller
and root filesystem into the kernel, not as modules. Otherwise the kernel
can't access the hardware to load the drivers it needs.

HTH...

Dirk

Old 06-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Pawel K

> Yes. You need to compile the drivers for your hard disc, hard disc controller
> and root filesystem into the kernel, not as modules. Otherwise the kernel
> can't access the hardware to load the drivers it needs.

While it is easy to find the kernel configuration entry for ext3 it is not so easy to find the one for my disk controller.
I used some hardware detection tools to grab the information about my hardware.
It shows the following information about my IDE controller:

*** product: 82801BA IDE U100 Controller
*** vendor: Intel Corporation
*** physical id: 1f.1
*** bus info:
pci@0000:00:1f.1
*** version: 05
*** width: 32 bits
*** clock: 33MHz
*** capabilities: ide bus_master
*** configuration: driver=PIIX_IDE latency=0

*** 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 Controller (rev 05)

What kernel configuration should I set up for my controller.
I cannot see the "PIIX_IDE" in my kernel.

The best option for me would be to compile the kernel with everything build-in.
Then to run a tool that generates the minimal kernel configuration for my system.
Compile the kernel again with my minimal kernel ".config" file and start using it.
Is it possible ?
If so how can I do that ?

thanks for help

Old 06-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 02:12:39 -0700 (PDT), Pawel K wrote:

> What kernel configuration should I set up for my controller.
> I cannot see the "PIIX_IDE" in my kernel.

Try ATA_PIIX. Type /piix while in make menuconfig to see the
possibilities.

--
Neil Bothwick

Everybody needs a little love sometime; stop hacking and fall in love!