FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-28-2008, 04:19 PM
ionut cucu
 
Default Keyboard problems

While gracefully working on my computer out of the blue, by keyboard
stops working. Changing keyboards didn't help, only rebooting does. Both
PS/2 keyboards...So I guess it's a computer issue...any ideas where I
should start looking?
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-29-2008, 02:14 AM
Hal Martin
 
Default Keyboard problems

No, I've had the same problem, same symptoms, and the same solution
fixed it. My assumption is that the kernel has some bug where the
keyboard interface starts dropping data.


I'm running 2.6.23-gentoo-r6 on an AMD64.

-Hal


ionut cucu wrote:

While gracefully working on my computer out of the blue, by keyboard
stops working. Changing keyboards didn't help, only rebooting does. Both
PS/2 keyboards...So I guess it's a computer issue...any ideas where I
should start looking?



--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 AM
Tapio Raevaara
 
Default Keyboard problems

On Wednesday 28 May 2008, ionut cucu wrote:
> While gracefully working on my computer out of the blue, by keyboard
> stops working. Changing keyboards didn't help, only rebooting does. Both
> PS/2 keyboards...So I guess it's a computer issue...any ideas where I
> should start looking?

If you're using X, next time try the following: press Alt + SysRQ + r, switch
to console with Ctrl + Alt + F1 and start killing random programs,
occasionally switching back to X. In the past, I've had trouble with Amarok
jamming the keyboard; if you're using it, it might be a good first target for
your killing spree.

You need to have CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y in the kernel for this to work (it's on
by default).

For a safer reboot, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key ,
especially the 'Raising Elephants' part.
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-29-2008, 12:01 PM
ionut cucu
 
Default Keyboard problems

On Thu, 29 May 2008 08:29:12 +0300
Tapio Raevaara <tapio.raevaara@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 May 2008, ionut cucu wrote:
> > While gracefully working on my computer out of the blue, by keyboard
> > stops working. Changing keyboards didn't help, only rebooting does.
> > Both PS/2 keyboards...So I guess it's a computer issue...any ideas
> > where I should start looking?
>
> If you're using X, next time try the following: press Alt + SysRQ +
> r, switch to console with Ctrl + Alt + F1 and start killing random
> programs, occasionally switching back to X. In the past, I've had
> trouble with Amarok jamming the keyboard; if you're using it, it
> might be a good first target for your killing spree.
>
Sorry? start killing processes randomly?(maniac grinds with big axe)
Also, my first atempt was to switch to console but Nota Bene: the
keyboard is not working. The magic key might be an idea but I need
Kernel debugging off in order to run nvidia-drivers
> You need to have CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y in the kernel for this to work
> (it's on by default).
>
> For a safer reboot, see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key , especially the
> 'Raising Elephants' part.

Mr Hal,
I'm also using ~amd64 but 2.6.24, I'll try a kernel update and see how
it goes. But where do you begin searching for a solution here? Provided
I wanted to go to the bottom of it
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 PM
ionut cucu
 
Default Keyboard problems

On Wed, 28 May 2008 22:14:28 -0400
Hal Martin <hal.martin@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, I've had the same problem, same symptoms, and the same solution
> fixed it. My assumption is that the kernel has some bug where the
> keyboard interface starts dropping data.
>
> I'm running 2.6.23-gentoo-r6 on an AMD64.
>
> -Hal
>
>
> ionut cucu wrote:
> > While gracefully working on my computer out of the blue, by keyboard
> > stops working. Changing keyboards didn't help, only rebooting does.
> > Both PS/2 keyboards...So I guess it's a computer issue...any ideas
> > where I should start looking?
> >
>
It's official :I've updated to 2.6.25-gentoo-r4 and for 2 days I'm key
powered
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 08-03-2008, 08:38 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"
 
Default Keyboard problems

A long time ago, probably around March or so, my keyboard was fine. I
use three keyboard layouts, and I found that Alt+Capslock keychord
useful for switching between the three of them. It was so set up in
the Gnome preferences, and all was well.

At some point later during some upgrade (I track testing with an
occasional non-critical unstable package), this merry arrangement was
lost, and has been broken ever since. Now the Alt+Capslock keychord
isn't recognised, but if I go into the Gnome preferences and make any
modifications to the keychords use for switching keyboard layouts
(e.g. click and unclick one of the many other keychords available) it
works again, minus the minor discomfort that the keyboard capslock LED
toggles when I do the Alt+Capslock keychord. This didn't happen
before.

I have seen similar behaviour in other GTK+ apps. In Xchat, for
instance, I like Ctrl+Shift+n and C-S-p for switching between the
previous and next tab (looks similar to Emacs keychords, and feels
comfortable). However, I see a very similar behaviour in that
restarting Xchat makes the keychords non-functional until I go again
into the Xchat preferences and again make some random change to the
keychords therein and undo it immediately.

What's going on? It's freeze time now, and I want this problem to get
fixed when lenny releases, since my mom will be using lenny on her
laptop when it releases. I need help figuring out even what package to
file a bug for.

Thanks,
- Jordi G. H.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org