-   -   Oddity installing 2007.0 amd64 onto shuttle w/ athlon64 (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/96926-oddity-installing-2007-0-amd64-onto-shuttle-w-athlon64.html)

Aaron Clark 05-28-2008 03:47 PM

Oddity installing 2007.0 amd64 onto shuttle w/ athlon64

Steven Lembark wrote:

Steven Lembark wrote:

Using install-amd64-minimal-2007.0.iso the thing
boots and tells me the kernel is linux livecd
2.6.24-gentoo-r5 smp, i686 amd athlon 64 x2 dual
core processor authentic AMD. Extracting the
stage3 tarball from

Partial answer: Installing from a mis-labeled x86
minimal install CD bypasses issues with mdev hanging

Question now is why mdev would hang booting the
amd64 minimal install... this may be due to the
nVidia MCP67 controller chip; maybe not...

If it's a newer chipset, it might be worth trying the 2008.0 beta to do
the install...

Aaron

Steven Lembark 05-29-2008 10:35 PM

Oddity installing 2007.0 amd64 onto shuttle w/ athlon64

> If it's a newer chipset, it might be worth trying the 2008.0 beta to do
> the install...

Always one more gotcha :-)

Now that the b2 is out for x86_64 I guess it's worth
a shot... that or building a bootable with the stock
minimal CD and an updated kernel.

Q: Have you ever tried assembling a new minimal CD?

Seems like it wouldn't be all that difficult, just a
matter of grafting the new kernel into place and burning
it.

thanx

--
Steven Lembark 85-09 90th St.
Workhorse Computing Woodhaven, NY, 11421