Old 05-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default emerge --search can't find local ebuild?

On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:21:53 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> I can't figure out why "emerge --search" can't find a local
> ebuild, but "emerge -av" can:

The man page states:

--search (-s)
Searches for matches of the supplied string in the portage tree.

It only mentions the portage tree, not overlays. emerge --search is not
worth using anyway, it is far too slow. Use eix instead.

--
Neil Bothwick

The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Willie Wong

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 04:34:10PM +0100, Penguin Lover Neil Bothwick squawked:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:21:53 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> > I can't figure out why "emerge --search" can't find a local
> > ebuild, but "emerge -av" can:
>
> The man page states:
>
> --search (-s)
> Searches for matches of the supplied string in the portage tree.
>
> It only mentions the portage tree, not overlays. emerge --search is not
> worth using anyway, it is far too slow. Use eix instead.

That's just false (not that emerge --search not worth using part, but
the part before that).

app-i18n/gcin is provided by the gentoo-taiwan overlay:

~ $ emerge --search gcin
Searching...
[ Results for search key : gcin ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* app-i18n/gcin
Latest version available: 1.4.0_pre13
Latest version installed: 1.4.0_pre10
Size of files: 6,716 kB
Homepage: http://www.csie.nctu.edu.tw/~cp76/gcin/ http://cle.linux.org.tw/trac/wiki/GcinGirlForNoBopomofo
License: GPL-2

but

~ $ emerge --search "app-i18n/gcin"
Searching...
[ Results for search key : app-i18n/gcin ]
[ Applications found : 0 ]

whereas app-i18n/kinput2 is provided by the tree

~ $ emerge --search kinput2
Searching...
[ Results for search key : kinput2 ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* app-i18n/kinput2
Latest version available: 3.1-r1
Latest version installed: 3.1-r1
Size of files: 500 kB
Homepage: http://www.nec.co.jp/canna/
License: as-is

and yet I can't search it either with category

~ $ emerge --search "app-i18n/kinput2"
Searching...
[ Results for search key : app-i18n/kinput2 ]
[ Applications found : 0 ]

The right answer, should you have looked several more lines
down the man page, is that:

= If you want to include the category into the
= search string, prepend an @: emerge --search "%@^dev-java.*jdk".

So

~ $ emerge --search "@app-i18n/gcin"
Searching...
[ Results for search key : app-i18n/gcin ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* app-i18n/gcin
Latest version available: 1.4.0_pre13
Latest version installed: 1.4.0_pre10
Size of files: 6,716 kB
Homepage: http://www.csie.nctu.edu.tw/~cp76/gcin/ http://cle.linux.org.tw/trac/wiki/GcinGirlForNoBopomofo
License: GPL-2

Finds gcin that is in an overlay.

HTH,

I just let my mind wander, and it didn't come back.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 537 days, 14:46

Old 05-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-05-28, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:21:53 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> I can't figure out why "emerge --search" can't find a local
>> ebuild, but "emerge -av" can:
>
> The man page states:
>
> --search (-s)
> Searches for matches of the supplied string in the portage tree.
>
> It only mentions the portage tree, not overlays.

emerge --search finds other packages in overlays just fine.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Hello. Just walk
at along and try NOT to think

Old 05-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:28:19 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> > The man page states:
> >
> > --search (-s)
> > Searches for matches of the supplied string in the portage tree.
> >
> > It only mentions the portage tree, not overlays.
>
> emerge --search finds other packages in overlays just fine.

OK, that clarifies the documentation. Is your ebuild in a recognised
category directory within your overlay?

I'd still recommend using eix, you can grow old waiting for emerge
--search

--
Neil Bothwick

Why do they sterilize the needles for lethal injections?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-05-28, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:28:19 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> > The man page states:
>> >
>> > --search (-s)
>> > Searches for matches of the supplied string in the portage tree.
>> >
>> > It only mentions the portage tree, not overlays.
>>
>> emerge --search finds other packages in overlays just fine.
>
> OK, that clarifies the documentation. Is your ebuild in a recognised
> category directory within your overlay?

Yes. It's in sys-apps, and both "emerge -av" and porthole
found it just fine.

> I'd still recommend using eix, you can grow old waiting for emerge
> --search

I'll give eix a try, but I'm still curious about why "emerge
--search" can't find the package, yet the package can be
installed by doing an "emerge -av".

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! With YOU, I can be
at MYSELF ... We don't NEED

Old 05-28-2008, 07:41 PM

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 06:56:14PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2008-05-28, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:28:19 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
> Yes. It's in sys-apps, and both "emerge -av" and porthole
> found it just fine.

Hum, did my other mail not get through? Per the emerge man page, to use
emerge --search with categories, you have to prefix the search with @,
so do

emerge --search "@<category>/<package>"

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-05-28, wwong@princeton.edu <wwong@princeton.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 06:56:14PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2008-05-28, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> > On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:28:19 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>> Yes. It's in sys-apps, and both "emerge -av" and porthole
>> found it just fine.
>
> Hum, did my other mail not get through?

It never made it to gmane.org (which is where I read the list).

> Per the emerge man page, to use emerge --search with
> categories, you have to prefix the search with @, so do
>
> emerge --search "@<category>/<package>"

Doh! I should have spotted that.

Doing an "emerge --search ack" matches 141 packages, so I tried
to narrow the results by sticking on the category without
adding the "@". Doing emerge --search '%^ack' accomplishes much
the same thing.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Look! A ladder!
at Maybe it leads to heaven,