Old 05-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Grant Edwards

Default emerge --search can't find local ebuild?

I can't figure out why "emerge --search" can't find a local
ebuild, but "emerge -av" can:

# emerge --search sys-apps/ack
Searching...
[ Results for search key : sys-apps/ack ]
[ Applications found : 0 ]

# emerge -av sys-apps/ack

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] dev-perl/File-Next-1.02 0 kB
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/ack-1.82 0 kB [1]

Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage tree and overlays:
[0] /usr/portage
[1] /usr/local/portage

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] No

Quitting.

Even after the package has been installed via "emerge -av" it
still can't be found by "emerge --search" even though "equery
list" finds it just fine:

# equery list sys-apps/ack
[ Searching for package 'ack' in 'sys-apps' among: ]
* installed packages
[I--] [ ~] sys-apps/ack-1.82 (0)

It's not a big deal, but it's more than a bit counter-intuitive.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! UH-OH!! We're out
at of AUTOMOBILE PARTS and