Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Steven Lembark

Default Oddity installing 2007.0 amd64 onto shuttle w/ athlon64

Using install-amd64-minimal-2007.0.iso the thing
boots and tells me the kernel is linux livecd
2.6.24-gentoo-r5 smp, i686 amd athlon 64 x2 dual
core processor authentic AMD. Extracting the
stage3 tarball from

<ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/gentoo/releases/amd64/2007.0/stages/stage3-amd64-2007.0.tar.bz2>

and attempting

chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash --login;

gives me:

chroot: cannot run command '/bin/bash': Exec format error

attempting to run /mnt/gentoo/bin/bash at all gives me:

bash: /mnt/gentoo/bin/bash: cannot execute binary file

Google hasn't gotten me anything obvious.

Machine is a Shuttle micro-atx w/ dual-core Athlon64,
nVidia MCP67 controller.

One other oddity: the minimal install boots, but the
livecd+install has problems: it gets to starting mdev
and hangs.

Is this a known issue (hopefully with a fix)?
or is the 2008 B2 the best way out?

thanx

--
Steven Lembark 85-09 90th St.
Workhorse Computing Woodhaven, NY, 11421

Old 05-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Steven Lembark

Steven Lembark wrote:
> Using install-amd64-minimal-2007.0.iso the thing
> boots and tells me the kernel is linux livecd
> 2.6.24-gentoo-r5 smp, i686 amd athlon 64 x2 dual
> core processor authentic AMD. Extracting the
> stage3 tarball from

Partial answer: Installing from a mis-labeled x86
minimal install CD bypasses issues with mdev hanging

Question now is why mdev would hang booting the
amd64 minimal install... this may be due to the
nVidia MCP67 controller chip; maybe not...