Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Marcin Niskiewicz

Default apache + semaphores

Hello
lately I had some problems with apache and semaphores

In apache error log I had:
[crit] (28)No space left on device: mod_rewrite: could not create rewrite_log_lock
of course I had lot of free disk space...

I read that it's about semaphores - there are no "free space" for new ones...

I found lots of ways of clearing existing semaphores and they helped ...
I also found solution how to make space for bigger amount of semaphores via modyfing proc settings (kernel.msgmni and kernel.sem)

but I don't want to solve it this way ... I'd like to fix a reason of problem not a consequence...

I noticed that there is one more new locked semaphores every time apache is restarted ...
for example when I run apache2ctl gracefull - the amount of locked semaphores remains the same...

So is there a way to prevent locking of new-created semaphores after restart of Apache?

Thanks for any help
regards
nichu

Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Enrico Weigelt

* Marcin Niskiewicz <mniskiewicz@o2.pl> wrote:

> In apache error log I had:
> [crit] (28)No space left on device: mod_rewrite: could not create rewrite_log_lock
> of course I had lot of free disk space...
>
> I read that it's about semaphores - there are no "free space" for new ones...

Yep, a long known problem

> but I don't want to solve it this way ... I'd like to fix a reason of problem
> not a consequence...

maybe:

a) run an separate cleaning process before actually starting httpd
b) rewrite httpd to not use the sysv-ipc at all, but lockfiles
(flock() etc) instead.

Actually, I'd consider the whole sysv-ipc stuff as very outdated.
IMHO, there's nothing that can't be done easily via filesystems.

cu