Old 05-26-2008, 08:45 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default eix output for dev-perl/Expect

I've been fooling around with various tools that I've used elsewhere, wanting to use them on Gentoo.

I'm puzzled by the output of 'eix' in respect to several, and some associated odd behavior of

emerge.* I'll use as an example dev-perl/Expect.* It's installed, but I don't understand what eix
is trying to tell me about it with the [D] at the beginning of the report, or the "*" associated

with the Available versions strings.

The questions:
*** 1. what do these mean, and what was interfering with emerge -aDNvu this morning?
*** 2. (probably more important) how do I find this out for myself in the future?

Note: the string "Expect" does not appear in any file in /etc/portage

Here's the output:
treat portage # eix dev-perl/Expect
[D] dev-perl/Expect
**** Available versions:* *1.20 *1.21