Old 11-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Grant

Default -march & CHOST settings for new laptop

What -march and CHOST settings would you guys use for a CPU that shows
up like this in cpuinfo:

Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46Ghz

I'm going ahead with i686 and i686-pc-linux-gnu for now because I want
to get this thing set up, but I'm planning on doing an emerge -e world
when I'm done.

Does this CPU have 64-bit extensions?

- Grant

Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Joshua Doll

Grant wrote:

What -march and CHOST settings would you guys use for a CPU that shows
up like this in cpuinfo:

Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46Ghz

I'm going ahead with i686 and i686-pc-linux-gnu for now because I want
to get this thing set up, but I'm planning on doing an emerge -e world
when I'm done.

Does this CPU have 64-bit extensions?

It looks like it does.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sspec=slaec

Does it support sse3?
If /proc/cpuinfo flags has pni
Then I'd go with march=prescott

--Joshua Doll

Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 PM
"Daniel da Veiga"

On Nov 30, 2007 7:16 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> What -march and CHOST settings would you guys use for a CPU that shows
> up like this in cpuinfo:
>
> Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46Ghz

I'd use "prescott" for this one, as you're using x86 CHOST anyway.

> Does this CPU have 64-bit extensions?

I believe it does, check the flags at /proc/cpuinfo to be sure.
"nocona" would be my choice if possible to create a 64 bits system.

--
Daniel da Veiga

Filosofia de TI: Programadores de verdade consideram o conceito "o que
você vê é o que você tem" tão ruim em editores de texto quanto em
mulheres. Não, o programador de verdade quer um editor de texto do
estilo "você pediu, você levou" - complicado, indecifrável, poderoso,
impiedoso, perigoso.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Grant

> > What -march and CHOST settings would you guys use for a CPU that shows
> > up like this in cpuinfo:
> >
> > Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46Ghz
> >

> I'd use "prescott" for this one, as you're using x86 CHOST anyway.
>

> > Does this CPU have 64-bit extensions?
> >

> I believe it does, check the flags at /proc/cpuinfo to be sure.
> "nocona" would be my choice if possible to create a 64 bits system.

Alright, I'll give nocona a try. Should I be using
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"? And the processor family in the kernel
should be "Pentium-4/Celeron(P4-based)/Pentium-4 M/older Xeon"?

- Grant

Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Joshua Doll

Grant wrote:

What -march and CHOST settings would you guys use for a CPU that shows
up like this in cpuinfo:

Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46Ghz

I'd use "prescott" for this one, as you're using x86 CHOST anyway.

Does this CPU have 64-bit extensions?

I believe it does, check the flags at /proc/cpuinfo to be sure.
"nocona" would be my choice if possible to create a 64 bits system.

Alright, I'll give nocona a try. Should I be using
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"? And the processor family in the kernel
should be "Pentium-4/Celeron(P4-based)/Pentium-4 M/older Xeon"?

I wouldn't use x86_64-pc-linux-gnu unless you want to break your system. Unless you are starting from scratch 64 bit.

--Joshua Doll

Old 11-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Grant

> >> I'd use "prescott" for this one, as you're using x86 CHOST anyway.

> >> I believe it does, check the flags at /proc/cpuinfo to be sure.
> >> "nocona" would be my choice if possible to create a 64 bits system.
> >>

> > Alright, I'll give nocona a try. Should I be using
> > CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"? And the processor family in the kernel
> > should be "Pentium-4/Celeron(P4-based)/Pentium-4 M/older Xeon"?
> >
> I wouldn't use x86_64-pc-linux-gnu unless you want to break your system. Unless you are starting from scratch 64 bit.

Is there any way to switch to that CHOST after I've already installed
a stage3? If I do get this working with 64 bits, will I be using
amd64 packages even though it's not an AMD system, or would I still be
x86?

- Grant

Old 12-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Joshua Doll

Grant wrote:

[...]

Have you already installed a 32bit stage3? If so there is no way to
switch except for a reinstall. AMD64 is for both AMD and Intel 64 bit.

--Joshua Doll

Old 12-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Grant

> >> I wouldn't use x86_64-pc-linux-gnu unless you want to break your system. Unless you are starting from scratch 64 bit.
> >>

> > Is there any way to switch to that CHOST after I've already installed
> > a stage3? If I do get this working with 64 bits, will I be using
> > amd64 packages even though it's not an AMD system, or would I still be
> > x86?
> >
> > - Grant
> >
> Have you already installed a 32bit stage3? If so there is no way to
> switch except for a reinstall. AMD64 is for both AMD and Intel 64 bit.

If you click "View processor number details" here:

http://www.intel.com/cd/products/services/emea/eng/processors/pentium_dual-core/340988.htm

it is clearly a 64 bit CPU. Do-over.

- Grant

Old 12-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Grant

> >> I wouldn't use x86_64-pc-linux-gnu unless you want to break your system. Unless you are starting from scratch 64 bit.
> >>

> > Is there any way to switch to that CHOST after I've already installed
> > a stage3? If I do get this working with 64 bits, will I be using
> > amd64 packages even though it's not an AMD system, or would I still be
> > x86?
> >
> > - Grant
> >
> Have you already installed a 32bit stage3? If so there is no way to
> switch except for a reinstall. AMD64 is for both AMD and Intel 64 bit.

Do you think Generic-x86_64 in the kernel?

- Grant

Old 12-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Joshua Doll

Grant wrote:

[...]

I think you're safe with that. According the kernel Family 15 is older
Netburst and family 6 is the newer Core micro architectures. You can
tell by /proc/cpuinfo.

--Joshua Doll