Old 05-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Adrian

Default cdrecord, permissions problem

Greetings all, I am missing something obvious and it's about to drive
me nuts.

Since upgrading to K3B 1.x I have not been able to burn CDs as user
(skippy is the user name) only as root. I can make DVDs no problem. I
was able to burn CDs with K3b 0.x. The devices work as root.

When I try to make a CD as user I get "cdrecord has no permission to
open the device". Well, it's telling me the problem, but darned if I
can figure the answer.

Here are the permissions I've got:

(hdc is the DVD burner, hdd is a CD burner)

brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 22, 0 2008-05-25 12:42 hdc
brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 22, 64 2008-05-25 12:42 hdd

(and for cdrecord)

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root burning 273656 2008-04-11 17:31 /usr/bin/cdrecord

And groups:

skippy $ groups
root bin daemon adm tty disk mem wheel floppy mail uucp man cron
console audio cdrom dialout ftp video gdm xfs games cdrw usb users
slocate portage skippy plugdev ppp scanner crontab burning nogroup
nobody

What am I doing wrong? Thanks very much.
Skippy

Old 05-26-2008, 01:21 PM

Adrian <linuxgn2@204eastsouth.com> wrote:

> (and for cdrecord)
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root burning 273656 2008-04-11 17:31 /usr/bin/cdrecord

Call chmod 4711 /usr/bin/cdrecord

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 05-26-2008, 01:54 PM
forgottenwizard

On 15:21 Mon 26 May , Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Adrian <linuxgn2@204eastsouth.com> wrote:
>
> > (and for cdrecord)
> >
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root burning 273656 2008-04-11 17:31 /usr/bin/cdrecord
>
> Call chmod 4711 /usr/bin/cdrecord
>

> J?rg
>
> --
> EMail:joerg@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) J?rg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
> js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)
> schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/

He is in the burning group, so it shouldn't be a problem to run
cdrecord.

I think cdrecord requires root to prevent potential problems with
burning, but don't quote me on that.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:28 PM

forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@hushmail.com> wrote:

> On 15:21 Mon 26 May , Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Adrian <linuxgn2@204eastsouth.com> wrote:
> >
> > > (and for cdrecord)
> > >
> > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root burning 273656 2008-04-11 17:31 /usr/bin/cdrecord
> >
> > Call chmod 4711 /usr/bin/cdrecord

> He is in the burning group, so it shouldn't be a problem to run
> cdrecord.

It does not help to be "in the burning group" and it is a security problem
to chgrp + chmod device nodes to allow to access them.

Cdrecord needs root permissoions for _various_ reasons and the only way to
remove this would be to use Linux-2.6.26 or newer _after_ someone helped me to
tell cdrecord how to deal with the new caps....

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 05-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Adrian

On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:21:43 +0200
Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling) wrote the words:

> Adrian <linuxgn2@204eastsouth.com> wrote:
>
> > (and for cdrecord)
> >
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root burning 273656 2008-04-11 17:31 /usr/bin/cdrecord
>
> Call chmod 4711 /usr/bin/cdrecord

Yes! That fixed it. Thank you very very much!
Skippy