Old 05-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Iain Buchanan

Default Hibernate / Suspend Problems on a Desktop

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 19:14 -0700, fire-eyes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just got a new Dell XPS 420 system. It has an Intel core 2 duo quad
> cpu. I wish to hibernate it to ram, though I'd be happy with any other
> form of hibernate/suspend-like behavior at this point.
>
> I'm using vanilla kernel 2.6.25.4. I have all the various
> hibernate/suspend etc options turned on. I installed hibernate-script,
> installed vbetool and configured the .conf files for hibernate-script to
> use it.
>
> Testing from console, no frame buffer, any of the actions (hibernate,
> hibernate-ram) bring the system down just fine, but when I power the
> system back up fully, I have no video signal. The system is fine
> otherwise, as I can blind-type "reboot" or "halt" and the system does so.
>
> I remember fighting with this same issue on my IBM thinkpad laptop. I
> have compared configurations and don't really see any glaring
> differences. Other than the laptop having an ATI card, and this desktop
> having an Nvidia GeForce 9600.
>
> The laptop has a single-core Intel CPU, but this desktop has a quad-core
> Intel CPU. There is a specific option in the kernel to enable
> hibernate/suspend etc for SMP/multicore systems, and I have enabled that.
>
> At this point I am at a loss, trying over and over again to get this
> working. Any tips would be much appreciated.
>
> fire-eyes / Fieldy

I have a similar problem with my laptop - hibernate works fine, but
resuming leaves me with a blank screen. I can press the power button
and the system will shut down cleanly. I have an nvidia card, but I've
stopped X and unloaded all modules. Did you get anywhere?

thanks,

A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
-- Chinese proverb