Old 11-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Jeremy Katz

Default lang images?

> At the point that the loader downloads stage2, it already knows what language
> the user wanted. If we spilt some locale specific data (translations, fonts)
> out into their own images (squashfs, cpio, whatever) that the loader can pick
> up/download, then for cases where they're not needed, the stage2 download
> can be shrunk by ~20MB or so.

It may be crack, but it's crack I've considered on more than one
occasion. The thing that makes it tricky is language selection being
done within stage2 for some cases

Jeremy

Old 11-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Bill Nottingham

Jeremy Katz (katzj@redhat.com) said:
> On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 15:19 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > At the point that the loader downloads stage2, it already knows what language
> > the user wanted. If we spilt some locale specific data (translations, fonts)
> > out into their own images (squashfs, cpio, whatever) that the loader can pick
> > up/download, then for cases where they're not needed, the stage2 download
> > can be shrunk by ~20MB or so.
>
> It may be crack, but it's crack I've considered on more than one
> occasion. The thing that makes it tricky is language selection being
> done within stage2 for some cases

In what cases are you doing lang selection from stage2 where you aren't on
a live system?

Bill

Old 11-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Bill Nottingham

Bill Nottingham (notting@redhat.com) said:
> > It may be crack, but it's crack I've considered on more than one
> > occasion. The thing that makes it tricky is language selection being
> > done within stage2 for some cases
>
> In what cases are you doing lang selection from stage2 where you aren't on
> a live system?

Actually, for things like CD/nfs where you're pulling stage2 off a local FS,
you might as well just pull all the lang*.img files that are there on the media.

Bill