Old 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Eric Martin

Default Mailing list and PGP/MIME

Wolf Canis wrote:

Hello all,

it seems that sometimes mails of mine doesn't
go to the list. :-(

I had this problem just a couple of hours ago. I
send a reply to the thread "Need help with a regex"
but the mail doesn't reach the list. I looked in
the archive and it doesn't reach there too. These
mail was send with PGP/MIME. I send this message at
6:03 PM CET.
At 10:13 PM CET I send the mail again but this time
without PGP/MIME - and this time the mail reached the
list. =-0

Now I'm wondering whether it could be that the
list server has problems with those mails or perhaps
those mails are simply blocked.

Is there a problem with signed messages?

Thanks in advance.

W. Canis
Sending w/PGP/MIME, email me off list if you get this. I'll also send
one w/pgp not mime encoded

--
Eric Martin
PGP fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F

Old 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Eric Martin

Old 05-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Mick

On Saturday 24 May 2008, Wolf Canis wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> it seems that sometimes mails of mine doesn't
> go to the list. :-(
>
> I had this problem just a couple of hours ago. I
> send a reply to the thread "Need help with a regex"
> but the mail doesn't reach the list. I looked in
> the archive and it doesn't reach there too. These
> mail was send with PGP/MIME. I send this message at
> 6:03 PM CET.
> At 10:13 PM CET I send the mail again but this time
> without PGP/MIME - and this time the mail reached the
> list. =-0
>
> Now I'm wondering whether it could be that the
> list server has problems with those mails or perhaps
> those mails are simply blocked.
>
> Is there a problem with signed messages?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> W. Canis
>
> PS: Send at 11:12 PM CET without PGP/MIME

I don't think that there is. I can see both of your messages in the "Need
help with a regex" thread.

The headers from the first have this:
d=googlemail.com; s=gamma;

h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:disposition-notification-to:date:reply-to:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references:in-reply-to:x-enigmail-version:content-type:from;
bh=8nJHtHVM1pLtFS7S3E9XQwyBoXWyVCNrAWYh/PaG3W4=;

b=J2kVYQw+TTZAVqYAlX9c6nmWNncd79WJ5r83oTSmqotKj9zo/x7SbTSgk2oU3Be/R1fIXwnyrf4kEXXExtRL7S05zJzeF9qYb1R0ocDl9fkZsYQVZ2 GPB/Msxh/fypt7McDv4c0jKo31fVMywEgGk1w0RmpIocdjk2zCRcy3Dck=
d=googlemail.com; s=gamma;

h=message-id:disposition-notification-to:date:reply-to:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references:in-reply-to:x-enigmail-version:content-type:from;

b=Q2J8PUjq+XbWzo6RwkQfbKHScves6kkidktdd3g90fXfCVmR JCJAxmVLtBoqQGru1yPVhkrBLHlNs+q3W8CNcxv2BkipatUKna B8VTw0B+lI84yNj2Nn/gGtTtv5MJR01cyJeEwP7IP9gFPeKlox1FYNLOgAKkQ0zifZhUM xFgQ=

and the headers from the second message have this in them:
d=googlemail.com; s=gamma;

h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:disposition-notification-to:date:reply-to:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references:in-reply-to:x-enigmail-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:from;
bh=gk2O1mwz5uCJ4PpK76vLq4QHyNig9QDxYfm/YqzClWM=;

b=FNacOG7Cf1kfquse2aB8/6WFOW95LzIyIoJZk1rATB3vgGJefl3gy7KSb5IzCwbYCWSnJ2/LlP/nJAKd5G3nkr+HbZbIJ03QL/BXyMKIEfhLT1+QIlMtpZkJq6EpTlz4TiCRynD2V3nd5VGhntGo 5OB1MaBG1c/UslitTOvXiMw=
d=googlemail.com; s=gamma;

h=message-id:disposition-notification-to:date:reply-to:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references:in-reply-to:x-enigmail-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:from;

b=agmVWP3rWVeDaIvI3qArg7inIUOmBBiUo8F6Ekzz1zlvTsbC i5f0UKYaVGG8uloqw2pOo+0GJlpfsySj4W3bOHFMw26vRyAWjl 4jC/DktdPSroIDFVJj+D/EWef7prGMZmRD8c0TOmP0lFilxnb6Jv9EM90VO60IGIb/kyBPqng=

Kmail shows this in its GnuPG header on the first message:
Message was signed by wolf.canis@googlemail.com (Key ID: 0x293F7304A174B705).
The signature is valid, but the key's validity is unknown.

and the second message:
Message was signed by Wolf Canis (Common) <wolf.canis@googlemail.com> (Key ID:
0xA174B705).
The signature is valid, but the key is untrusted.

Notwithstanding delays with googlemail, Gmane also takes some time before it
shows posted messages.
Mick

Old 05-25-2008, 12:49 AM
Wolf Canis

Old 05-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Norberto Bensa

Quoting Wolf Canis <wolf.canis@googlemail.com>:

Is there a problem with signed messages?

Signed messages doesn't make any sense on a mailing list.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Norberto Bensa (nbensa@gmail.com) [25.05.08 16:52]:
> Quoting Wolf Canis <wolf.canis@googlemail.com>:
>
>> Is there a problem with signed messages?
>
> Signed messages doesn't make any sense on a mailing list.

Why?

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 05-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Wolf Canis

Old 05-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Mick

On Sunday 25 May 2008, Wolf Canis wrote:
> Norberto Bensa wrote:
> > Signed messages doesn't make any sense on a mailing list.
>
> I may ask you for a explanation, please?
>
> I think they make a lot of sense, because you or the
> mailing system are able to verify the message or rather
> the origin, if implemented. One would very easily see
> whether the person is the person who has subscribed to
> the list.

This is a nice list with helpful people. There are other lists however, when
it is not that rare for malicious (or unhinged) individuals to impersonate
someone else and hijack their email address to publish offensive content.
After a while using a digital signature (GnuPG or x509) becomes a habit.

It doesn't really add that much overhead anyway (197 Bytes for gpg to 3.1k
Bytes for s/mime).
Mick

Old 05-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Wolf Canis

Old 05-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Daniel Iliev

On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:04:29 +0200
Wolf Canis <wolf.canis@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Mick wrote:
> > This is a nice list with helpful people.
>
> No doubt about that. :-)

Yep!

> > There are other lists however, when
> > it is not that rare for malicious (or unhinged) individuals to
> > impersonate someone else and hijack their email address to publish
> > offensive content. After a while using a digital signature (GnuPG
> > or x509) becomes a habit.
>
> That's exactly the case. ;-)

Two questions.
How would signing your emails to this list help you:
- in avoiding the above to happen to you?
- help you in case that happens after all?

Explain, please.

--
Best regards,
Daniel