-   -   kernel config ata/atapi and scsi (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/94420-kernel-config-ata-atapi-scsi.html)

Allan Gottlieb 05-24-2008 03:31 AM

kernel config ata/atapi and scsi

I remember reading that much of the CDrom et al support now uses
the scsi subsystem, but have not remembered enough.
I would appreciate answers to the following specific questions.

I have a dell insprion 6400 laptop. Using lshw I find that the ide
interface contains

ATA disk Hitachi HTS72101 /dev/sda bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
* Am I correct in believing that I should configure SCSI disk support?
* Does it also require ATA/atapi support?

DVD writer DVD+-RW TS-L632D /dev/cdrom1 /dev/dvd1 /dev/scd0 /dev/sr0
bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
* Am I correct in believing that I need scsi CDROM and scsi GENERIC?
* Are any other kernel options needed to support the dvd and writing?
* Do I need atapi support?

lshw confirms that I have no scsi controller
* Am I correct in believing that I need no scsi low level driver?

lshw confirms that I have an intel 82801G (ICH7)
* Am I correct in believing that I need CONFIG_ATA_PIIX?

Thanks in advance for the help,
allan