Old 05-22-2008, 07:52 PM
fire-eyes

Default Tip: Firefox: Mouse Wheel Left/Right for History

Hello,

Just ran across a nifty trick for firefox, and wanted to get it on the
list, as well as searched by search engines. Hope this is useful.

I enabled my mouse wheels left-right functionality, however, it was
reversed to xorg. So I flipped it in xorgs config.

Seamonkey got it right somehow, left-tilt of the wheel meant back in
history, right-tilt meant forward in history.

Firefox, however, needed some help. First off, firefox is set to scroll
left/right on a page (such as an image/page larger than your screen) by
default, which is what you'd expect.

But how often do you need to do that? Myself, not often. To get firefox
to use the tilt as back/forward (left/right respectively) to do history
like seamonkey, you have to dive into about:config , but it's very easy.
The changes take effect immediately, no restarting needed.

Change the following values like so:

1) mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action int 2

If you find that left takes you forward in history, and right takes you
backwards in history, reverse the action. This is likely if you had to
reverse the behavior in xorg. Set these two as shown:

2) mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.numlines int -1
3) mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.sysnumlines bool false

-- Fieldy