Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 AM
"Paul Sobey"

Default Confused - vmx cpuflag missing

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to get a hypervisor running. I've installed Gentoo 64bit on a
new(ish) HP XW6400. When booted with the minimal install CD, /proc/cpuinfo
shows:

livecd ~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5140 @ 2.33GHz
stepping : 6
cpu MHz : 2327.500
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 3
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est
tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr dca lahf_lm
bogomips : 4657.74
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

When running my Xen kernel (xen-sources 2.6.21), I get the following:

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5140 @ 2.33GHz
stepping : 6
cpu MHz : 2327.560
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 apic sep mtrr cmov pat clflush
acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni ssse3 cx16
lahf_lm
bogomips : 4657.82
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

I'm going slightly nuts here - I figure I've done something obvious wrong,
but I can't think what. Any ideas/advice? Something I've missed in
menuconfig?

Cheers in advance!
Paul

Old 05-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Sergey Kobzar

Thursday, May 22, 2008, 2:42:23 PM, Paul wrote:

> Hey Guys,

> I'm trying to get a hypervisor running. I've installed Gentoo 64bit on a
> new(ish) HP XW6400. When booted with the minimal install CD, /proc/cpuinfo
> shows:

> livecd ~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor : 0
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 6
> model : 15
> model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5140 @ 2.33GHz
> stepping : 6
> cpu MHz : 2327.500
> cache size : 4096 KB
> physical id : 3
> siblings : 2
> core id : 0
> cpu cores : 2
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 10
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
> lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est
> tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr dca lahf_lm
> bogomips : 4657.74
> clflush size : 64
> cache_alignment : 64
> address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> power management:

> When running my Xen kernel (xen-sources 2.6.21), I get the following:

> processor : 0
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 6
> model : 15
> model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5140 @ 2.33GHz
> stepping : 6
> cpu MHz : 2327.560
> cache size : 4096 KB
> physical id : 0
> siblings : 1
> core id : 0
> cpu cores : 1
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 10
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 apic sep mtrr cmov pat clflush
> acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni ssse3 cx16
> lahf_lm
> bogomips : 4657.82
> clflush size : 64
> cache_alignment : 64
> address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> power management:

> I'm going slightly nuts here - I figure I've done something obvious wrong,
> but I can't think what. Any ideas/advice? Something I've missed in
> menuconfig?

> Cheers in advance!
> Paul

Use x86info to get CPU extended features.

--
Sergey

Old 05-22-2008, 01:17 PM
"Paul Sobey"

> Hey Guys,
>
> I'm trying to get a hypervisor running. I've installed Gentoo 64bit on a
> new(ish) HP XW6400. When booted with the minimal install CD, /proc/cpuinfo
> shows:

<bla bla>

Just build a stock (gentoo-sources) kernel on the same machine, and the
vmx flag is there, along with a whole load of others. Now I'm really
confused! I only care about that flag when I'm running a Xen kernel!
Anybody got any ideas?

Paul

Old 05-23-2008, 12:59 PM
"Paul Sobey"

>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> I'm trying to get a hypervisor running. I've installed Gentoo 64bit on a
>> new(ish) HP XW6400. When booted with the minimal install CD,
>> /proc/cpuinfo
>> shows:
>
> <bla bla>
>
> Just build a stock (gentoo-sources) kernel on the same machine, and the
> vmx flag is there, along with a whole load of others. Now I'm really
> confused! I only care about that flag when I'm running a Xen kernel!
> Anybody got any ideas?

Well, don't I feel like an idiot. VT was disabled in the BIOS, under an
obscure 'OS Security' menu option. I was thrown off the scent because of
the difference in cpu flags shown under stock linux vs. linux running as
dom0 under Xen. Apparently Xen isolates some of the machine capabilities
from even dom0. For anybody having similar troubles - xm dmesg | grep -i
vmx will show you definitely whether VMX has been picked up or not. You're
looking for:

(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled

Best Wishes,
Paul