Old 05-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Arnau Bria

Default Installing grub in RAID 1 system

Hi,

following http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID
I'm doing next:

If you are using a RAID 1 mirror disk system, you will
want to install grub on all the disks in the system, so that when one disk fails, you are still able to boot. The find command above will list the disks, e.g.

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
(hd0,0)
(hd1,0)
grub>

Now, if your disks are /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, do the following to install GRUB on /dev/sda MBR:

device (hd0) /dev/sda
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

This will install grub into the /dev/sdb MBR:

device (hd0) /dev/sdb
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

Well, when installing grub in sdb (hdb in my system) I get next:

grub> device (hd0) /dev/hdb

Error 15: File not found

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
(hd0,0)
(hd1,0)

As I have never understood all grub concepts, I'm not sure if the
command is correct or not (I think not, but again, not grub master
neither middle-user!), so could someone clary it for me? Why is grub
giving my that error?

Cheers!

--
Arnau Bria
http://blog.emergetux.net

Old 05-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Anthony Mutiso

Arnau,

Here is what works for me installing Grub on a Raid 1 partition when
using Linux software raid. If using hardware raid you should not need to
do this.

1. Boot from Live CD
2. Mount partitions from harddisk, including proc and dev re-mounts
3. chroot to mounted system
4. Start grub
5. Install grub on device 1 using the following steps: (replace sda, sdb
with your actual device name for your boot partition pairs)

a. device (hd0) /dev/sda
b. root (hd0,0)
c. setup (hd0)
repeat above steps for /dev/sdb.
6. exit chroot, unmount devices and reboot.

This installs the grub MBR on both partitions so it does not matter
which device is available at boot time.

You need to refresh your Grub MBR this way every time you install a new
version of Grub that needs to installed in your MBR. For those
re-installs, you can do it from your live system by skipping steps 1-3.

Good Luck

Anthony