FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Sergey Kobzar
 
Default Is 2008.0_beta2 stable enough?

I have a new laptop and want install Gentoo on it but not sure which
profile to use. Is 2008.0 beta 2 stable enough for desktop or I should
still use 2007?

Sorry for silly question and thanks

--
Sergey

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Is 2008.0_beta2 stable enough?

On Thu, 22 May 2008 11:18:43 +0300, Sergey Kobzar wrote:

> I have a new laptop and want install Gentoo on it but not sure which
> profile to use. Is 2008.0 beta 2 stable enough for desktop or I should
> still use 2007?

I've been running with 2008.0/desktop profiles for a few weeks with no
problems, but a profile isn't much more than a collection of USE flags,
so installing with 2007.0 and switching later is simple. A more important
question is whether you want to run a stable or testing arch. From your
question, I'd say you should run stable; ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=x96 or amd64.


--
Neil Bothwick

To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated but not be able to say it.
 
Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Is 2008.0_beta2 stable enough?

On Thu, 22 May 2008 11:38:52 +0300, Sergey Kobzar wrote:

> > I've been running with 2008.0/desktop profiles for a few weeks with no
> > problems,
>
> but then you switched back to 2007?

No, I'm still running 2008.0.

> > but a profile isn't much more than a collection of USE flags, so
> > installing with 2007.0 and switching later is simple.
>
> I'm agree with you, but it may require recompiling mostly all
> installed software. Well, it's not a really big problem anyway.

It doesn't. Switching profiles mainly changes a few default USE flags.
Only a few packages are recompiled by emerge --newuse and none of those
are "required". The most you have customised your USE flags, the less
will be changed by the profile switch.

> I'd want to use 2008 beta2 if it's stable enough.

There is no beta profile. The install discs based on 2008.0 are still in
beta, but the profiles are plain 2008.0. It's really no big deal whether
you use an 07 or 08 profile.


--
Neil Bothwick

"B?#$^f," said Pooh, as line noise garbled his transmission.
 
Old 05-22-2008, 09:48 AM
»Q«
 
Default Is 2008.0_beta2 stable enough?

In <20080522092731.7b927c20@loonquawl.digimed.co.uk >,
Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> I've been running with 2008.0/desktop profiles for a few weeks with no
> problems, but a profile isn't much more than a collection of USE
> flags,

Is there some way of telling what the changes are before committing?
I've always waited for the migration guide to be published, since the
nested profile info tends to confuse me, heh.

--
»Q«
Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.


--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Is 2008.0_beta2 stable enough?

On Thu, 22 May 2008 04:48:09 -0500, »Q« wrote:

> Is there some way of telling what the changes are before committing?
> I've always waited for the migration guide to be published, since the
> nested profile info tends to confuse me, heh.

Change profile
Run emerge -uavDN world
if like changes
press y
else
press n
change profile back


--
Neil Bothwick

A consultant is a person who borrows your watch, tells you what time it
is, pockets the watch, and sends you a bill for it.
 
Old 05-22-2008, 10:01 PM
»Q«
 
Default Is 2008.0_beta2 stable enough?

On Thu, 22 May 2008 12:24:28 +0100
Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 May 2008 04:48:09 -0500, »Q« wrote:
>
> > Is there some way of telling what the changes are before committing?
> > I've always waited for the migration guide to be published, since
> > the nested profile info tends to confuse me, heh.
>
> Change profile
> Run emerge -uavDN world
> if like changes
> press y
> else
> press n
> change profile back

Thanks.

--
»Q«
Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.


--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default Is 2008.0_beta2 stable enough?

On Thursday 22 May 2008 10:11:41 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> The install discs based on 2008.0 are still in beta, but the profiles are
> plain 2008.0. It's really no big deal whether you use an 07 or 08 profile.

The other day I was reinstalling on my Thinkpad T61 and got into a deadlock
after booting from a 2007.0 minimal CD. I forget which two system packages
could not be upgraded without first upgrading the other*, but there was no
way out. I solved it by booting from the 2008 beta CD.

* I think one was BASH, but the other escapes me for the moment.

--
Rgds
Peter
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Is 2008.0_beta2 stable enough?

On Sunday 25 May 2008, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> The other day I was reinstalling on my Thinkpad T61 and got into a
> deadlock after booting from a 2007.0 minimal CD. I forget which two
> system packages could not be upgraded without first upgrading the
> other*, but there was no way out. I solved it by booting from the
> 2008 beta CD.
>
> * I think one was BASH, but the other escapes me for the moment.

Probably bash and python

Nasty one that, there is a way out but you have to read the ebuilds in
detail first to get the right update path though the various versions.

Or force build one then rebuild both

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Graham Murray
 
Default Is 2008.0_beta2 stable enough?

Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> writes:

> The other day I was reinstalling on my Thinkpad T61 and got into a deadlock
> after booting from a 2007.0 minimal CD. I forget which two system packages
> could not be upgraded without first upgrading the other*, but there was no
> way out. I solved it by booting from the 2008 beta CD.
>
> * I think one was BASH, but the other escapes me for the moment.

portage
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 05-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default Is 2008.0_beta2 stable enough?

On Sunday 25 May 2008 13:16:49 I wrote:

> I solved it by booting from the 2008 beta CD.

Actually, I didn't do that. I booted from 2007-1, but installed the 2008
beta-2 stage-3. Sorry to be imprecise.

--
Rgds
Peter
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:07 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org